The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
U2 Vertigo DVD
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Addict

U2 Vertigo DVD

Just had to say, I purchased the U2 Vertigo DVD and I had no Idea how consistently good thier music is. I'm sorry I missed that show live. The stage and lighting was amazing. True Superstars Indeed and I just wanted to give them thier props.
Did anyone out there experience it live?
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

I saw the elevation tour live. Best concert ever. BY FAR
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Addict

I was pretty impressed by that DVD too. What a show.
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Addict

Vertigo was just on a HD station here. The production looked pretty good!
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

This might be unpopular but I think U2 are just getting worse and worse both as a live act and as 'artists'. Get 'Red Rocks' or even 'Rattle and Hum'. Bells and whistles aside, they're way better than any of the DVDs they've put out in the last few years.
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor
This might be unpopular but I think U2 are just getting worse and worse both as a live act and as 'artists'. Get 'Red Rocks' or even 'Rattle and Hum'. Bells and whistles aside, they're way better than any of the DVDs they've put out in the last few years.
I'm gonna check out the Rattle and Hum DVD, but I still think Vertigo was excellent.
You probably know a lot more about the groups history than I do, so your opinion is valid. To each his own. I dont normally listen to rock music and I was very entertained by this concert.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

'The long and winding road....'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhKSWY7tZ1E&search=u2

ruudman
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman

ruudman
Thanks for the history lesson....Not many groups on the planet have been able to sustain for so long.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

I saw them in late '81 at Dooley's bar in East Lansing, MI. I guess that officially makes me Old. The show was sandwiched in between shows by Johnny Thunders and Steel Pulse and The Stranglers and the League of Gentlemen, among others. I wasn't old enough to get into the Tubes show in '75 (even when the drinking age was 18, sigh.)

(East Lansing, a cow college backwater where I spent ten formative years, had a pretty vibrant music scene back in those days; IIRC, Chad Smith of the Chili Peppers was in a long-forgotten band called The Generics, and Steve Shelly from Sonic Youth was in the infamous Crucif*cks, which oddly enough tended to have problems booking gigs and made no friends with local law enforcement when they played a block party with Millions of Dead Cops. But I digress, as usual.)

Rattle and Hum shows just how much those guys could rock back in the day. Highly recommended. "A Musical Journey." heh
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Addict

I was at the Vertigo concert here in Vancouver and I thought it was very good. Not the very best I've seen but really good none the less. I really enjoyed the lighted curtains (whatever you want to call 'em). I also thought the sound was superb. This no doubt was because U2 used the same stadium for rehersals for over a month prior to the tour.

BTW - my all time concert experience was seeing The Kinks ~ 1980. No lightshow or anything fancy, just great tunes! oh and a couple of palm trees as stage props.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

I'm a die-hard U2 fan and, though I like it Rattle and Hum (the version of Sunday Bloody Sunday is amazing), I find it a bit lifeless, the concert footage is lacking something.

But it all depends on taste. I found the Vertigo DVD great, but my all time favourite would be ZOO TV live in Sidney- more of a concept show than a concert but all the more amazing for it.

This is not available on DVD yet, though there are rumours that it has been remixed and will be released in the fall.

Santiago
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago
ZOO TV live in Sidney- more of a concept show than a concert but all the more amazing for it.
This is not available on DVD yet, though there are rumours that it has been remixed and will be released in the fall.
Santiago
I have a VHS of that show. What a performance of Bono!
Love the coreography between "Running To Stand Still" and "..Streets...."

ruudman
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

I've seen every tour since the Joshua Tree in '87.

ZOO-TV, the first leg in the indoor arenas in early '92 was their best, IMO. They were out to prove that they were still vital and relevant, and they did that in spades.

In my eyes, they started falling downhill after POP and the POPMART tour. Lost their edge.

I was disappointed with the Vertigo tour. They became a cabaret act. I don't think I'll catch them next time around, as much as it hurts to say. They've always been my favorite band, but enough is enough.
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelista
I've seen every tour since the Joshua Tree in '87.

ZOO-TV, the first leg in the indoor arenas in early '92 was their best, IMO. They were out to prove that they were still vital and relevant, and they did that in spades.

In my eyes, they started falling downhill after POP and the POPMART tour. Lost their edge.

I was disappointed with the Vertigo tour. They became a cabaret act. I don't think I'll catch them next time around, as much as it hurts to say. They've always been my favorite band, but enough is enough.
Do you know if zoo tv is available on dvd?
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hmmm... Last time I checked, he's still in the band.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

zoo-tv video

I'm not sure if the Sidney Australia show is available on DVD - it might be VHS only.

Regardless, I don't think this was a great performance. The night before, Adam Clayton (the bass player) missed the show because he and Naomi Campbell broke up and he got drunk. It's the only time a U2 member missed a show (his tech filled in). As a result, the following night's show (the one they filmed) had a weird vibe.

Yes, I know I'm a dork for knowing this stuff.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
So who's playing guitar with them now?
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=creegstor]This might be unpopular but I think U2 are just getting worse and worse both as a live act and as 'artists'./QUOTE]

Very true. I think they peaked a while ago, but it's not easy to find anyone who'd be willing to admit that they agree, even if they agree.
Old 28th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Do you know if zoo tv is available on dvd?

September 18, 2006

http://www.atu2.com
Old 28th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw3
September 18, 2006

http://www.atu2.com
Thanks for the info/ I look forward to the release..
Old 28th June 2006
Lives for gear

Its tough not to watch their stuff and get pulled in. They are very entertaining, great songs and the atmosphere is like going to an entertaining church service which is not easy to find btw.
Old 29th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman

ruudman

Thanks for that link. Wow. Is that Napoleon Dynamite on bass?

I saw them at the US festival in 1983, Rattle in Hum show in Tempe, and the Zoo TV tour. One of the best bands ever.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search