The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Herritage Audio 1073 500 or AML EZ1073 500 Series Preamps
Old 2nd July 2017
compared my aml ez1073 with my friends heritage 73jr last friday. they do def sound similar but the heritage was sounding a bit smoother, i liked it better.
when i engaged the eq (no eq'ing done, just "eq in") my aml ez1073 strangely enough lost some bass/mids, got somewhat thinner, a tiny tiny bit ... we were thinking since the eq knobs ain't dented in the middle +/- position there maybe was some small eq'ing going on.
also my aml unit got noisier when past +60 gain, hum appeared which we didn't like.
so is my unit a bit faulty? anyone experiencing the same with it's unit? i didn't build it myself.
Old 2nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
compared my aml ez1073 with my friends heritage 73jr last friday. they do def sound similar but the heritage was sounding a bit smoother, i liked it better.
when i engaged the eq (no eq'ing done, just "eq in") my aml ez1073 strangely enough lost some bass/mids, got somewhat thinner, a tiny tiny bit ... we were thinking since the eq knobs ain't dented in the middle +/- position there maybe was some small eq'ing going on.
also my aml unit got noisier when past +60 gain, hum appeared which we didn't like.
so is my unit a bit faulty? anyone experiencing the same with it's unit? i didn't build it myself.
Try it in a different 500 series rack. That could make a big difference in your experience with noise especially if the rack you are using has an internal linear supply.

Brad
Old 2nd July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Try it in a different 500 series rack. That could make a big difference in your experience with noise especially if the rack you are using has an internal linear supply.

Brad
my aml ez1073 is the 19" version.
Old 3rd July 2017
Quote:
then yes. It sounds as if something isn't right.
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Doh!

Pop the cover. Set the unit to the gain settings where you experience the hum. With the unit turned OFF, rotate the power transformer a little bit. Turn the unit back on to check if it's better or worse. Keep rotating and checking until the hum is diminished. The magnetic field from the power transformer will have an orientation where it's minimized.

Brad

Last edited by BradM; 3rd July 2017 at 11:10 PM..
Old 3rd July 2017
Quote:
Doh!

Pop the cover. Set the unit to the gain settings where you experience the hum. With the unit turned OFF, rotate the power transformer a little bit. Turn the unit back on to check if it's better or worse. Keep rotating and checking until the hum is diminished. The magnetic field from the power transformer will have an orientation where it's minimized.

Brad
will i die by doing that ...?

Last edited by zinzin; 4th July 2017 at 07:31 AM..
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually there is the risk of electric shock anytime you are dealing with AC power. Putting your fingers inside your gear with the power on and live AC should be done with extreme caution by someone that knows what they are dealing with.

I just edited my response above to recommend rotating the transformer with the power turned off. Guess and check instead.

Brad
Old 4th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So far, I've built 2 AML EZ1073 kits and they sound great.
You should pay particular attention to the "star ground" setup, as outlined in Colin's Colourbook diagram. If you don't know how to do it, get someone who knows what they're doing to have a look. Not hard, but you do need to properly earth the unit to a chassis lug (paint needs to be scraped off the back panel for better contact with either a Dremel tool or some sandpaper). Also, the unit needs a little bit of a final tweak with a digital multimeter (on spade terminals), also as outlined in the Colourbook in order to test for +24 volts (between J6 and J5), +48 volts (Phantom between J3 and J5, adjusting R10 trim pot with a small screwdriver until you get +48 volts) and output bias setting (attach probes on either side of R26 resistor and tweak R20 trim pot until you read 130 mV on multimeter).
Unless there's a cold solder joint, or a faulty component somewhere, and your power supply has been connected properly (according to your country's voltage), your AML EZ1073 should work without any problems. Also, check your XLR connections (both on the XLR's pins and on the PCB) and make sure they're wired and soldered correctly. But if you're not sure, don't go poking around the inside of the case!
Old 4th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by formusic View Post
So far, I've built 2 AML EZ1073 kits and they sound great.
You should pay particular attention to the "star ground" setup, as outlined in Colin's Colourbook diagram. If you don't know how to do it, get someone who knows what they're doing to have a look. Not hard, but you do need to properly earth the unit to a chassis lug (paint needs to be scraped off the back panel for better contact with either a Dremel tool or some sandpaper). Also, the unit needs a little bit of a final tweak with a digital multimeter (on spade terminals), also as outlined in the Colourbook in order to test for +24 volts (between J6 and J5), +48 volts (Phantom between J3 and J5, adjusting R10 trim pot with a small screwdriver until you get +48 volts) and output bias setting (attach probes on either side of R26 resistor and tweak R20 trim pot until you read 130 mV on multimeter).
Unless there's a cold solder joint, or a faulty component somewhere, and your power supply has been connected properly (according to your country's voltage), your AML EZ1073 should work without any problems. Also, check your XLR connections (both on the XLR's pins and on the PCB) and make sure they're wired and soldered correctly. But if you're not sure, don't go poking around the inside of the case!
will talk back to the builder than, thanks.

what i really don't like is that with "eq in" somewhat the sound looses a bit of bass: it should get fatter with some more transformers turned on, not thinner! it's. ot a great difference, but i hear it.
Old 4th July 2017
Quote:

what i really don't like is that with "eq in" somewhat the sound looses a bit of bass: it should get fatter with some more transformers turned on, not thinner! it's. ot a great difference, but i hear it.
I have 8 of them here. None get thinner. As you said in your OP, maybe it's something simple like the knobs are not at zero or something. If it's not that, I have no clue. I guess part of the problem of not having factory built ones is there is no guarantee that the builder has put them together properly.
Old 4th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Strange... You would only lose bass if it was rolled off, or the HPF was engaged.
And if not, perhaps the rotary switches haven't been set up properly (stop pins not in properly?).
Old 4th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have 8 of them here. None get thinner. As you said in your OP, maybe it's something simple like the knobs are not at zero or something. If it's not that, I have no clue. I guess part of the problem of not having factory built ones is there is no guarantee that the builder has put them together properly.
yeah it's a bit annoying ...
Old 4th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by formusic View Post
Strange... You would only lose bass if it was rolled off, or the HPF was engaged.
And if not, perhaps the rotary switches haven't been set up properly (stop pins not in properly?).
got the bass issue solved: the eq bands have to be all turned to "off", not point to some frequency numbers even with +/- nulled. now no more bass loss. yeah!
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
got the bass issue solved: the eq bands have to be all turned to "off", not point to some frequency numbers even with +/- nulled. now no more bass loss. yeah!
So how does it compare to the Heritage?
Old 25th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucin Niega View Post
So how does it compare to the Heritage?
the differences are really tiny. we just did some vocal recordings and the heritage seemed a tiny bit smoother.
Old 25th July 2017
I have some AML and Heritage products,both quality tools.
The differences seem like splitting hairs until you stack up some tracks.

The Heritage sound is smoother with zero harshness.
The AML was a little peaky(laser mids?) on my voice.
The AML eq is such a plus(nice filters!),the pre is B squad compared to Heritage.
I wish it were different because the price difference is significant.

At some point in this game you start paying for an inch or two with real cash.
Is close,close enough?Are you buying two or three times and selling,losing time and money?
My wallet says AML,the music says Heritage.
Old 25th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflag View Post
The AML eq is such a plus(nice filters!),the pre is B squad compared to Heritage.
the EQ is very nice indeed, very broad, you can form your sound very sensitively with broad brushes.
what do you exatly mean by "B squad"?
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
the EQ is very nice indeed, very broad, you can form your sound very sensitively with broad brushes.
what do you exatly mean by "B squad"?
It sounds like he's saying the Heritage is his first choice, "A Squad", while the AML is his second choice, "B Squad". At least, that's what I came away with.
Old 28th July 2017
Noa
Gear Addict

Actually, I think the AML kills the Heritage. The AML has more clarity to me and the Heritage had a muddy thing going on in the low mids. To me, the only thing good about the Heritage was the DI on brighter instruments.
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa View Post
Actually, I think the AML kills the Heritage. The AML has more clarity to me and the Heritage had a muddy thing going on in the low mids. To me, the only thing good about the Heritage was the DI on brighter instruments.
Have you tried Heritage 1073 or 500 modules?
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Noa!

But wouldn't that low mid "muddy thing" be more characteristic of a vintage Neve?

Brad
Old 28th July 2017
Quote:
Hey Noa!

But wouldn't that low mid "muddy thing" be more characteristic of a vintage Neve?

Brad
I hear people talking about this but I haven't heard it in a real neve desk. I've heard it from some of the clones. But well maintained vintage neve? Nope.
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
AML has eq, the Heritage 73jr (which has the DI) does not. Did you have the eq engaged when you made the comparison?

Last edited by Lucin Niega; 29th July 2017 at 02:11 AM..
Old 29th July 2017
Noa
Gear Addict

Yeah, I'm talking about the 500 series Heritage 73jr compared to the AML ez1073 500 series without the EQ engaged.

Of course, I like it for the specific things I record. It's all subjective. For others singers or other instruments, I might reach for a different pre.

I knew the Gslutz police would get after me for using such strong words. Haha
Old 29th July 2017
Noa
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hey Noa!

Brad
Hey Brad!

Haha, maybe so...I'm more interested in what matches up with my particular sound. Actually, I much preferrred the N sound on my Silver Bullet compared to the Heritage 73jr.

I want a Void Corp Chroma!!
Old 31st July 2017
Yea "B Squad" meaning Heritage would be first choice.
I'm talking about splitting hairs,no pre's were harmed nor killed here.
I am super sensitive to bright,some may call it open.
I'm hearing a much more even frequency response with Heritage.
Nothing jumps out, as for the mud it's not there.
If you want Nevish girth with open sound,that's called Great River.
So many great choices in the cult of Rupert.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search