The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OLD NEVE 1073 vs. NEW NEVE 1073
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Head

OLD NEVE 1073 vs. NEW NEVE 1073

has anybody had the chance to use both?
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

I know many people on this board hate Neve VS threads, myself included MOST of the time, but I would actually like to hear some opinions on this.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

I use a pair of the new 1081 modules from Neve all the time, along with a rack of the old ones. They don't sound much different to me, and no bad pots, or scratchy switches. I think there great. Just my 2 cents.

Steve
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Head

awesome, really glad to hear that...that seems to be what people are saying.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

I read an article either in Mix or TapeOp comparing these two units... I did a quick search of the Mix archives and couldn't find it. But.. The general gist of the article was
that the two units were identical in their layout, components used, wiring, everything; identical. The reviewer concluded that the two units (the old and the new) sounded as much alike (or different) than any two older units. Noting that there is some difference from module to module... it was a very favorable review.

Maybe someone else read the article and can point you to it...
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

I think the article was in EQ, done by Lynne Fuston.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have that article laying around here somewhere. IIRC, Lynn's opinion was that it was pretty close.

Maybe you can look him up over at 3d audio forum.
Old 11th June 2006
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrue
that seems to be the go to article...just curious to hear more from other people who have made the comparison
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Maniac

A year and a half ago I took a pair of the new modules into Studio 2 of what was then Cello and compared them to the ones in the board. They sounded identical in both strengths and weaknesses. If I were to be buying Neve modules, I would absolutely get the new ones.

Steven
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by socologan
awesome, really glad to hear that...that seems to be what people are saying.
People who write for a magazine that spreads propaganda about new audio gear tend on having the hidden agenda of wanting to suck up to the manufacturer in order to get a discount or free unit of the reviewed piece. I know of people who have been there and done that and Mr. Fuston is among those folk.

Also, the peole who are saying this, are on the same level of reputability as those who have done the same A/B listening tests using vintage Neve 1073 modules side by side with the Vintech X73i and say that they can tell no difference between the two in sound.

I think the AMS-Neve 1073 module currently made is a very good but way overpriced thing that only ******s purchase who want to impress dumb clients that spew out industry jargon and name drop until the cows come home.

If you want a Neve sound, same your cash. Buy the Portico or a Vintech if you want more of that low mid mush color. I would say from my own listening that the Vintech X73 is as close to souding like a Vintage 1073 as the AMS re-creation is. They both use the same transformers so waste your money if you want.
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I know that people on this forum have taken issue with some of your posts. perhaps questioning the extent of your experience with the gear you are talking about. never having used the gear in question i made no judgements. now i know. i recently had both an AMS neve 1073 and a portico on loan from VK. i can tell you this: they sound totally different. i mean the portico is a great preamp, comparable to other high end preamps, and in some instances more useful than the 1073 depending on the source. but for me, even if the 1073 cost less (meaning that i'm not just choosing the expensive pre that has bling factor) i would choose it hands down. what it does to kick and snare is amazing. it's that big thick "neve" sound that people talk about. stereo pair on a good grand piano or on a bright acoustic will make you drool. vocals are killer, well anyways those who have used it know and those who haven't have heard about it. the new 1073 is for real and is not the same as a portico. i have heard good things about vintech but have never tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklynn
People who write for a magazine that spreads propaganda about new audio gear tend on having the hidden agenda of wanting to suck up to the manufacturer in order to get a discount or free unit of the reviewed piece. I know of people who have been there and done that and Mr. Fuston is among those folk.

Also, the peole who are saying this, are on the same level of reputability as those who have done the same A/B listening tests using vintage Neve 1073 modules side by side with the Vintech X73i and say that they can tell no difference between the two in sound.

I think the AMS-Neve 1073 module currently made is a very good but way overpriced thing that only ******s purchase who want to impress dumb clients that spew out industry jargon and name drop until the cows come home.

If you want a Neve sound, same your cash. Buy the Portico or a Vintech if you want more of that low mid mush color. I would say from my own listening that the Vintech X73 is as close to souding like a Vintage 1073 as the AMS re-creation is. They both use the same transformers so waste your money if you want.
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Addict

Well, let me drop in with two more questions!!!

How does the new NEVE 1073 DPA sound comparing to the original?

Is Vintech X73 good enough? It costs almost 2 times less then DPA....?

Cheers...
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
They both use the same transformers so waste your money if you want
I don't think they do, I'm 99% sure they have exclusivity on their tranny. However, the company that supplies AMS-Neve sells "an almost exact" version to other manafacturers. I don' know if it matters one way or the other, I'm not a Neve user.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The general gist of the article was
that the two units were identical in their layout, components used, wiring, everything; identical.
What a silly thing for them to say. Did they test the transformers or just look at them? Would they even know if the circuit was different in some way?

How can they sound the same as the original when they use different transformers?

The Carnhill clones arent even close to the originals except in the way they look.

And the 1073DPA (appart from having a misleading name) is about as far from a clone as you can get.

Weather any of these products actually sound bad or are otherwise unusable is another matter, but they sure arent clones of the originals.

Dont buy the 'just like the original' marketing line as thats all it is. Usually the more the company crows about it the less true it actually is...you know who im talkin about...

M
Old 13th June 2006

They all sound different... including the 30 different revisions of the original 1073.

Yet, they all sound good!
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

No. I have never heard a new 1073 DPA. Maybe Lyn Fuston can comment on that reveiw he did a while back. He did have some good "internal" pics in that article. Are you planning on a purchase?
Old 13th June 2006

Also, NONE of the transformers being manufatured as L01166 O/P transformers sound anything like the original Marinair units. Put a pair of vintage tranny's in a new 1073 unit and see what I'm talking about.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

lol....just think if they dropped the prices(not twice as much as the other clones) they would most likely sell three times as many. Price seems to be the main factor in most cases when it comes to not buying.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

ooooh dear

Quote:

Wow. That has to win out as one of the most bitter comments I ever read on this board, and it rather invalidates your position since it's clearly hardly objective (which of course you're perfectly entitled to). Yeah, sure people name drop ad infinitum in this business, etc. etc. and sure, a rack of neves does impress the kind of client that impresses, and that may or may not be good, but bottom line is that resorting to being uncivil just makes you look like an idiot. Sorry. Unless you somehow have access to the production costs and thus the profit margins on these boxes...

And various sources reveal different amounts of differences between these modules. I noticed WAY more change between old and the remakes (tried the vintech and the ams) on piano than on a particular vocal. And even then it wasn't much. I found the AMS box to be a very well constructed bit of kit, and quality workmanship. And plenty of good music and plenty of crap will be recorded through them, I have no doubt, just like the original 1073...

If someone builds a 'better' reproduction at a lower price point then yippeedeedoodah for them, they're going to make a lot of money (well as much as anybody makes in the audio gear market). AMS built theirs and priced it according to their manufacturing costs, desired profits and the fact they own the neve name (which they are of course perfectly entitled to do), and if you don't like it don't buy it, and don't knock those who do.

And no, I don't own one.
Old 14th June 2006
Quote:
That's Mr. Suckup to you. ;-)

I must first admit that I found this thread while looking at posts by Jacklynn because I'm always excited to see more female talent in our industry. I know some very fine female engineers and am always eager to hear about more. That's how I ran across this thread by chance.

I'm not sure where to start, but since a blanket of suspicion has been thrown on my motives and public opinions, I would like to ask for specific examples of my "propagandizing" or "sucking up."

I should also add that of the dozens of reviews I've written over the past 6 years for ProSound News, EQ and AudioMedia, I can only think of two products that I have kept, regardless of discounts or dealer-pricing offers. Those would be the AEA R-84s and the Great River EQ-2NV.

There is a common misconception that I keep everything I review and like. Simply not true. I can't afford to. I'm still saving up for some of the things I've reviewed and loved. The AEA R-88 comes immediately to mind.

I do speak freely and emphatically about products that I love. Maybe that's why you think I'm a shill*. But I'd prefer to hear from you what I've done that makes you think I'm a suck up. A little constructive criticism never hurt anybody. And I won't attack you for your opinion. Yours is just as valid as mine. So let me have it.

*shill Slang n.
-One who poses as a satisfied customer or an enthusiastic gambler to dupe bystanders into participating in a swindle.
-from Dictionary.com
Old 14th June 2006
Oh, about the 1073 issue. I used the old and new in stereo with one on each side of a piano and couldn't tell the difference. I also spent time using the EQs in stereo and was never able to perceive a difference between the two units. I believe I detailed in the article why I thought they were so close, using some quotes from the manufacturer, and I offered many pictures showing the identical circuit boards made from the original artwork as examples of how faithfully the 1073s were recreated. It's not the first time a manufacturer has successfully recreated a past product, but examples like this are the exception not the rule. I believe I also mentioned that "authenticity" was the goal, not a price point. If that's what it costs to build, then let those who want them (and can afford them) buy them and the others can buy Chameleons.

People think that Neumann M50s and U47s and AKG C12s are overpriced too. If those are too rich for your pocketbook, don't buy them. Simple as that. But I don't think that means that those who do are stupid. Maybe their priorities are just different than yours. I have equalizers that are worth more than my car. Does that mean I'm stupid or wrong? Or maybe crazy? Like a fox. Because the car depreciates while the gear appreciates.

When in the future will 1073s be worth LESS than they are right now? Not any time that I can foresee. Does the nostalgia and good will and Neve name hold up the price? You bet. But when in the future will you be able to buy gear without those as a factor?

FWIW, I did not buy the 1073 recreation that I reviewed. Even at a stupid discount, I wouldn't have. Because I'm not in the market for a 1073.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

On Yah Lynn.

Nick
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

OMG!

A 1073 vs. 1073 thread?

It's armageddon!

Don't look to the sky.
Old 14th June 2006
Here for the gear

Old thread at rec.audio.pro

Check this out
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...c9109b1d0ab323

Especially Geoff Tanner's comments.

I own both vintage 1073 and the DPA and they sound the same to me.....
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston
That's Mr. Suckup to you. ;-)

I must first admit that I found this thread while looking at posts by Jacklynn because I'm always excited to see more female talent in our industry. I know some very fine female engineers and am always eager to hear about more. That's how I ran across this thread by chance.

I'm not sure where to start, but since a blanket of suspicion has been thrown on my motives and public opinions, I would like to ask for specific examples of my "propagandizing" or "sucking up."

I should also add that of the dozens of reviews I've written over the past 6 years for ProSound News, EQ and AudioMedia, I can only think of two products that I have kept, regardless of discounts or dealer-pricing offers. Those would be the AEA R-84s and the Great River EQ-2NV.

There is a common misconception that I keep everything I review and like. Simply not true. I can't afford to. I'm still saving up for some of the things I've reviewed and loved. The AEA R-88 comes immediately to mind.

I do speak freely and emphatically about products that I love. Maybe that's why you think I'm a shill*. But I'd prefer to hear from you what I've done that makes you think I'm a suck up. A little constructive criticism never hurt anybody. And I won't attack you for your opinion. Yours is just as valid as mine. So let me have it.

*shill Slang n.
-One who poses as a satisfied customer or an enthusiastic gambler to dupe bystanders into participating in a swindle.
-from Dictionary.com

Lynn.... a heads up for ya.

Jacklynn is not a woman. It's a guy. He also posts as Echo Unit. The Avatar is a picture of an actress.. I can't remember who... but someone posted a link a while back of that exact picture of her. He is seriously disturbed and is a troll of the worst kind. I recommend putting him on "ignore".

Peace...
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe
OMG!

A 1073 vs. 1073 thread?

It's armageddon!

Don't look to the sky.
LMAOOOOOOOOheh heh

If I had the money I would rent/buy/whatever.....at less two of every Neve vintage/reissue/clone I could find on the market and do a once and for all shootout(rightttt)...or should I just say comparison . Than post the wav files and details of how each was recorded. Then everyone could hear it for themselves.
mics used would be the standards. U87, C414, sm57

but in the end it would still come down to how much difference each one will sound in a completed mixdown I'm pretty sure all of them would get the job done with little problems.

I'm happy with my GTQ2..as a preamp, not as a neve "TYPE"
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

If you couldn't make a hit record with a rack full of nothing but AMS Neve 1073 units you should just call that truck driving school again.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riad
If you couldn't make a hit record with a rack full of nothing but AMS Neve 1073 units you should just call that truck driving school again.

I have to say no preamp, neve or otherwise will help make a hit record.
Talented Song writers and musicians make hit records. Not preamps, engineers mics or anything else. It's all about the Song and the attitude.
Old 15th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe
Lynn.... a heads up for ya.

Jacklynn is not a woman. It's a guy. He also posts as Echo Unit. The Avatar is a picture of an actress.. I can't remember who... but someone posted a link a while back of that exact picture of her. He is seriously disturbed and is a troll of the worst kind. I recommend putting him on "ignore".
Wait. That's a picture of Katie Holmes, isn't it? Maybe Jacklynn is married to Tom Cruise?

Am I feeling duped?

I'd still be interested in why whoever it is is badmouthing me. Is there a good reason?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search