The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 512c on Vox?
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Head

API 512c on Vox?

I'm looking at buying a 512c with a 550b used in a lunchbox to get into higher end pre's and API-500. This will be used on acoustic guitar and vocals more than anything. Is this going to be a good choice? I know this is very subjective... I'm just wondering generally what people's feelings are about this. How valuable have you found the 550b to be also for these purposes?

I haven't used any good eq's(or pre's really) before and am really looking for someone who knows more and has used these to tell if this is going to be a good start for me. I don't want to invest in something like an RNP and wishing I'd just spent the extra because it's not that much of an improvement. I also like the idea of being able to add more pre's for less.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket boy
I'm looking at buying a 512c with a 550b used in a lunchbox to get into higher end pre's and API-500. This will be used on acoustic guitar and vocals more than anything. Is this going to be a good choice? I know this is very subjective... I'm just wondering generally what people's feelings are about this. How valuable have you found the 550b to be also for these purposes?

I haven't used any good eq's(or pre's really) before and am really looking for someone who knows more and has used these to tell if this is going to be a good start for me. I don't want to invest in something like an RNP and wishing I'd just spent the extra because it's not that much of an improvement. I also like the idea of being able to add more pre's for less.

I love my 512's..use them on vocs all the time
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

not subjective at all....

API and Neve have been around for a while for a reason.... API's are great! You will never regret it!
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

My voice is a tenor of dubious quality, but I always like what an API does for it. The mids sound sweeter, like the slight hype helps my voice.

But two points. First, you can find lots of api used, you just don't save much money on it. I'm sure someone has gotten a "deal" along the way, but every api auction/sale I've seen has sold for damn close to the new price. I've given up on buying used api on ebay and such. You just don't save enough to justify the risk and hassle of used. My opinion/experience.

And second, you might want to opt for a pair of 512c. Not that the eq isn't world class, but a pair of great pres is a powerful tool.

I'm sorting out the same issues, good luck with it.
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer
And second, you might want to opt for a pair of 512c. Not that the eq isn't world class, but a pair of great pres is a powerful tool.
Agreed. I think I should wait and learn till I actually have the money and while I find out what exactly I need.
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Maniac

API does indeed rock on vocals - I use a 3124+ which is the same pre as a 512c (don't get nitpicky on me guys...).

I would agree about buying them new though - I was looking around on ebay when I bought mine, but I found a new one at a dealer for cheaper than most were going for used.
Old 12th June 2006

I use API's on vocals all the time!
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

The choice between a 3124+ and a Lunch Box is a tough one. I've changed my mind on this many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
I use API's on vocals all the time!
Yeah, but you get yours for free... just kidding.

And of course, now there's the A2D to consider.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket boy
Agreed. I think I should wait and learn till I actually have the money
That does tend to limit the immediate possibilities.

Scratch up enough for a LB and a 512 and you'll be on your way.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer
That does tend to limit the immediate possibilities.

Scratch up enough for a LB and a 512 and you'll be on your way.
For about a year, I had one outboard preamp; a 512c. I never felt limited by it. I did a lot of singer songwriter/acoustic stuff.
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Addict

I've just brought 4 512C's , excellent pre's. I plugged a bass guitar in mine the first day and was hooked, then piano, you cant go wrong with API.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Certain mics seem to sound great through them.
SM-7 vocals always seem to sound awful through my 512c's for some reason.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

add a LA-3...stir lightly = hit record
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Good choice.........you'll be happy with the 512! As far as the 550b goes, I never use mine for tracking vocals. It's mic, pre, then comp to tape. You could sell the 550 and buy another pre. There's several 500 series pre's out there to choose from! heh
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

I had the 3124+ and sent it back in favor of a lunchbox and four 512Cs... Here's why:

One of the channels in the 3124 failed within a day of receiving the unit. I would have had to send the entire piece back to API for repair... that sucks! With a lunchbox, if one of the modules fails, you just send that one back, and keep the rest and keep working.

Portabilty. I didn't think I needed this, but as it turns out, I have loaned out my 512s to a friend of mine several times... easy to do with the lunchbox.

Versatility. I can add lots of 500-frame modules to the lunchbox as needed from lots of different vendors... pretty cool!

Value. If I get in a bind, I can always pull out a module and sell it (fat chance of that ever happening though!).

To my mind, it made much more sense to go with the lunchbox and four 512Cs rather than the 3124, and after careful consideration (along with the one channel failure), it was not too difficult a decision. It costs a bit more, but it is WELL worth it!
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winey
Certain mics seem to sound great through them.
SM-7 vocals always seem to sound awful through my 512c's for some reason.

werid..that's my favorite pre for my sm7
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

we just started tracking vocals yesterday for a high profile client using the 512c

C800G-->512c-->LA2A

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search