The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rupert Neve 5059 first listen Summing Mixers
Old 21st June 2012
Gear Addict

Rupert Neve 5059 first listen

Josh at RND was kind enough to let me try the 5059 for the last few days. I'm impressed.

I've been looking to downsize my studio and sell my 5088, so it's been nice to compare the two.

The 5059 has a great feature set. For me personally, I could not live without volume and pan pots on every channel. It's more of a mixing board replacement in that regard. The pots are all Portico II quality. DB25s in back for inputs. I like DB25.

The sound. This is the closest I've come to the 5088 sound. The 5088 vibe is really something. It's both articulate and blended together, which is a weird combination. I've been able to use less compression on channels and mix buss. With those 96v rails, it has a gigantic sweet spot and it allows for the leading edge of fast transients like cymbals and snare to really pop, while bass drum and bass articulation are clear and powerful. It is really masterful.

Compared to the 5088, the 5059 captures the tone of the transformers well. Yes, the 5088 has a transformer tone, it's just not the 80xx tone. I like it better. The 5059 goes the 5088 one better with the silk buttons. It feels like I have the option of multiple mix busses by turning on red or blue silk and adjusting the texture knob. I wish the 5088 had that, it adds lots of flexibility.

The 5059 also does the 5088 one better in driving the transformers. If you want more goo on the 5088, it's pretty hard, because those 96v rails are so so forgiving. The 5059 can be pushed a little more with 24v rails and it can saturate the transformers. Again, it's more flexible.

Where the 5088 best the 5059 is in that nth degree of separation, articulation, and perception. In the tests we were doing here, which were not blind and are singer songwriter and rock tunes, I can pick out the 5088 due to it's slightly clearer bass and greater separation of inputs. But I picked the 5059 as my favorite somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of the time after working more or less saturation and different silk modes to suit the song.

I have not spent a ton of time with summing boxes as I've always had a mixer, so I can't compare this to an Equinox, Nicerizer or the like. I had a Folcrum but missed more subtle panning. I also didn't get a great, amazing improvement through it.

So overall the 5059 is tremendous. Given that it is about 10% the price and about 1% the space requirement, I really, really want it. Sadly, this demo has to move on to the next person.
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

very interesting!
thanks for sharing this.
do you have any of the porticoII units?
if so,... how does the 5059 compare in terms of sound?

F
Old 21st June 2012
Gear Maniac

I've notice from pics on their site that it has no inserts on the stereo mix outputs. Does the 5088 have inserts on the mix outs? Did you use the inserts on any of the 16 channels, and how was that if you did. I've been looking hard at one of these, good input. Thanx
Old 21st June 2012
Gear Addict

I did not use the inserts on the 5059 because I use a patch bay. The 5088 has mix inserts.

I have a master buss compressor and 5033 and 5032 from RND. the Portico II units come closer tone wise to the 5088 than the portico units. the portico units are their own cool thing. the 5033s are very versatile and great sounding eqs, while the 5032s with silk on and off gives great versatility. I love them, they lie in the 5088 penthouse and wish I had more. Lots of other reviews of portico units on other threads, so go take a look there if you want more one those
Old 25th June 2012
Gear Addict

Does this mixer have input transformers on every channel or just mix ?

Any inside pics ?
Old 25th June 2012
Gear Addict

Every channel
Old 25th June 2012
Gear Maniac

I thought the inputs were discrete transistor stages and only the outputs had the transformers. They are a new design by Hutch. I could be wrong though.
Old 26th June 2012
Did anybody else have the chance to check it out?
Old 26th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoote View Post
Every channel
i am fairly certain that there are not input transformers on every channel.

cool box for sure regardless.
Old 26th June 2012
Fezzle
This is no discreet box, if it were all discrete inputs we'd probably be talking double the price. I dont think there will be input transformers either, again probably + another 1000 dollars. Its most likely gonna be IC's driving the channels, but all the same knowing Ruperts stuff, very well implemented and running in Class A.
Old 16th August 2012
Here for the gear
I will be getting a review unit on Monday and starting a 2 week album project that was tracked on 2" and Pro Tools at Ocean Way. As far as I know, the inputs are IC and there are nice big O/P trannies, but no transformers in other stages. I really like the MBP when I had that for review - it is a great addition to any console or ITB mixing. I hope the Satellite fits that bill, as well.
Old 2nd January 2015
Lives for gear

So what was the outcome?
Old 1st February 2015
Lives for gear

Sorry guys - can anybody please confirm how many transformers are in this unit ? Nobody popped the hood ?
Thanks and
Old 1st February 2015
pretty sure it has two custom output transformers for each bus out (silk adjusts negative feedback on them) and its all Active summing using the "TLA" op amp (transformer-like-amplifier) that Rupert previously designed.
Old 1st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
pretty sure it has two custom output transformers, (silk adjusts negative feedback on them) and its all Active summing using the "TLA" op amp (transformer-like-amplifier) that Rupert previously designed.
Thanks Doc for clearing up what "TLA" means (was wondering about that) - looking at the blockdiagram there are transformers on the stereo 2 (buss2) as well.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1422797307
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert Neve 5059 first listen-5059blockdiagram.jpg  
Old 1st February 2015
Lives for gear

For those wondering what a Transformer Like Amplifier is:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geek...amplifier.html
Old 2nd February 2015
Lives for gear

In practice TLA is fantastic, remember it from Neve's AMEC DMCL gears.
Old 2nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Satellite and Centerpiece User here.....couldn't be happier
Old 2nd February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lematrix View Post
Satellite and Centerpiece User here.....couldn't be happier
Care to elaborate on your setup? Intrigued . . .
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs44 View Post

Sure..... did not saw your post - sorry

attached is a Plan of my setup. Hope you understand it ;-)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Leer.pdf (62.8 KB, 557 views)
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have 4 Subgroups on my Centerpiece. 2 coming from my Satelite. A "Groove" Bus and a "Music" Bus. I insert a few stuff on the subgroups. The other 2 Groups are my "L/R" Bus where nothing is inserted and my "vocal" Bus. These 4 Busses i print together with my Burl.
On the other Centerpiece Inputs i have Monitoring and Synths running

Feel free to PM me, if you have questions

Greetings from Berlin, Mathias
Old 18th February 2015
Awesome setup Mathias!

best-
Jonathan
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

I'm loving my 5060! Glad to hear there are a number of RND fans out there.
Old 19th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I have 4 Subgroups on my Centerpiece. 2 coming from my Satelite. A "Groove" Bus and a "Music" Bus. I insert a few stuff on the subgroups. The other 2 Groups are my "L/R" Bus where nothing is inserted and my "vocal" Bus. These 4 Busses i print together with my Burl.
On the other Centerpiece Inputs i have Monitoring and Synths running

Feel free to PM me, if you have questions

Greetings from Berlin, Mathias
Super dope mate, a bit envious :P
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Super dope mate, a bit envious :P
;-) Thanks.... took me a long time to get there. I am always looking for stuff to improve my workflow.

I still have a Neve 8816, that i bought for summing. But this thing is so often not working (its more at AMS/Neve than at my place), i use for summing guitar signals.

The RND Stuff is always working, no problems here, sound is good.

....but few things could or should be better, mainly on the Centerpiece.

- That both devices (like all RND Stuff by the way) don´t keep the silk mode, when you turn them on/off. Sometimes i forget how it was the next day.

- The Centerpiece does not have a good Talkback section(and it does not sound good)

- no extra Output for the recording Room/Singer Headphone. I am running a splitter connected to the normal Headphone Out in front of the desk. And you can not route the internel Talkback to the MainOutput, this is really bad for me and not 2015 ;-)

- The Centerpiece does not keep the status of the inserts, when you turn it off/on !!!!

- Sometimes the the whole Console is "dead" and the switches are not responding, like a computer is crashing. Than you have to turn it off and on. After that it is working again. Happens like 20 times in a year.

Last edited by lematrix; 11th April 2015 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: corrected the amount of "crashes"
Old 20th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
;-) Thanks.... took me a long time to get there. I am always looking for stuff to improve my workflow.

I still have a Neve 8816, that i bought for summing. But this thing is so often not working (its more at AMS/Neve than at my place), i use for summing guitar signals.

The RND Stuff is always working, no problems here, sound is good.

....but few things could or should be better, mainly on the Centerpiece.

- That both devices (like all RND Stuff by the way) don´t keep the silk mode, when you turn them on/off. Sometimes i forget how it was the next day.

- The Centerpiece does not have a good Talkback section(and it does not sound good)

- no extra Output for the recording Room/Singer Headphone. I am running a splitter connected to the normal Headphone Out in front of the desk. And you can not route the internet Talkback to the MainOutput, this is really bad for me and not 2015 ;-)

- The Centerpiece does not keep the status of the inserts, when you turn it off/on !!!!

- Sometimes the Deskswitches are not responding, like a computer is crashing. Than you have to turn it off and on. After that it is working again. Happens like 6 times in a year.

Interesting what you say about the 8816 mate, when I was looking between the RND 5059 and the AMS 8816 I was told to just stay away from the 8816 by the main gear supplier here in Australia as they just don't have a good thing to say about it, which was surprising.
I went with the RND 5059 and love it!
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting what you say about the 8816 mate, when I was looking between the RND 5059 and the AMS 8816 I was told to just stay away from the 8816 by the main gear supplier here in Australia as they just don't have a good thing to say about it, which was surprising.
I went with the RND 5059 and love it!
Japp.... Very cheap build. The sound is ok but but its a PITA to work with ;-)
The Satellite costs near twice but it is build very well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search