The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrading Pre's and Converter
Old 20th June 2012
Gear interested

Upgrading Pre's and Converter

So I'm wanting to get the Earthworks 1022 Pre. Coupled with the Mytek96 A/D.
I really want to use the Earthworks. The problem is that it only has xlr inputs on the Earthworks. I want to be able to use 1/4in inputs for guitar,organ, synth, and so on. I could get two 1/4 to xlr adapters, however I might run into an impedance issue. Since obviously, the preamp is mic level in.

Can anyone tell me if it would be sufficient to just use adapters?

My other issue is that the Mytek is only A/D, not D/A.

Is there a good sound-card that I can use for monitoring that's compatible with a Mac G5?

I really hope this works out for me. I think these two pieces together should be phenomenal.
Thanks!heh
Old 20th June 2012
1st problem - look into what a DI box does. There's plenty of choice, depending on how much you want to spend.

2nd problem - what's wrong with just getting a mytek DA to complement your AD?
Old 20th June 2012
Gear interested

I kinda thought I might need a direct in. Either way it will sound very good. But the only reason I was hoping I could go straight into the preamp is because I like the idea of there being as little gear between my instrument and the preamp as possible. That way I could avoid even the slightest coloration of sound. But again, I'm sure that won't be an issue at all. I have an Avalon U5. But I suppose that's not the kind of DI that would be suitable.
I don't need a DI with any gain. I just need something that's unbalanced line level to balanced mic level. Preferably a DI that doesn't add harmonic distortion. (Since that's the entire point of the Earthworks preamp anyways.)
Does anyone know of any good DI like that?

As far as the converter is concerned, I just don't want to spend the extra money for the Mytek D/A. My monitors sound pretty good. But they're not exactly "hi-end". So even if I had the D/A converter, I wouldn't be hearing it's full potential. I'm more interested in simply CAPTURING the information with the A/D.

If I have any ideas that sound incorrect to you guy's, feel free to correct me. It's a learning process. Thanks!
Old 20th June 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Got $179?

How about a top-o-line Burrbrown PCM1794 DAC with your choice of analog opamps with balanced XLR outputs? It's a better converter chip than AKM stuff and does -129 db dynamic range.

Ross Martin Audio
I'll definitely consider this! Thanks!
Old 20th June 2012
Gear interested

I think the m-audio converter looks perfect for what I'm needing. I also needed a midi in anyways. So this looks good. Thanks!
Old 21st June 2012
The M-audio card is not a converter, but an I/O for S/PDIF. It is bit accurate. Another good one is RME's 9632 card, that one has ADAT sync and litepipe I/O.

Both require an external ADC and DAC to run.
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got the "dual Bare Beast" DAC with dual BB converter chips for a whopping -132 db dynamic range. Ross installed ADA4898-1/2 opamps for me. It easily beats out all the AKM and Crystal based DAC's I also have here.

I paid $260 for it. Ross also makes the PCM4222 ADC converter with XLR inputs and metering for $329. I use the PCM4222 here and it's my top dog for ADC.

Use a $75 M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI card and you're ready to go world class, for less.
Jim, do people just not know about this. I mean, this is ridiculously inexpensive for those specs. Are they completely transparent or do they offer something musical to the equation? Interested in the A/D.
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Jim, do people just not know about this. I mean, this is ridiculously inexpensive for those specs. Are they completely transparent or do they offer something musical to the equation? Interested in the A/D.
I have one on loan from a friend that is on a big holiday atm.
I had a lavry da 10 a Benchmark da and the da of my ancient multiface to compare at home.I checked them all out in a fun test that was by no means scientific but levelmatched to 0.1db.
The Pcm1794A will stay.The difference between it and the lavry-Benchmark was tonal but not in any way did they differ in Quality.

Its a Nobrainer imo.Its quite Homebrew and looks a little DIY but i like the look.Its sturdy and feels well made.The Improvement over my Multiface1 from 2001 is not Subtile.Oh and i had the money to buy any dac mentioned above.
I ordered one the same evening the test took Place.Cant wait to get MINE!
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Your U5 will output DI level...but, that completely loses your "less gear in the path"...it's used to feed a more colorful preamp...but, that also is really not that important. Less transformers or tubes is what you need for purity. High current transformer less will be pure. That said, it may not actually sound best, but...
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The BurrBrown top-o-line converters are for real. They are also not cheap chips either. Not any of that cheapo 5 buck AKM stuff.

Transparent is the word. They are not musical in any euphonic means, they are neutral. Works for me, I don't need the converters to add/change anything. I already have stuff sounding the way I want BEFORE conversion.

What is true are these chips are not offered in aftermarket high end pro audio converters. They use AKM and Crystal stuff. And you will pay dearly for those parts.

Like any red blooded American trying to build a better mousetrap, Ross has offered superior technology, for less. A lot less.

Smart folks will take advanage of this. The rest will continue to spend many times more for a less inside and a fancy panel outside.
Awesome, while I find my Aurora to be unobtrusive and allows for a professional product, I am excited to incorporate this into my setup and hear the difference during tracking.
Old 21st June 2012
Gear Addict

Ross Martin Audio...

Geez I think I may have to get one of these Ross Martins too! They are crazy bargains!
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoBrow View Post
I have one on loan from a friend that is on a big holiday atm.
I had a lavry da 10 a Benchmark da and the da of my ancient multiface to compare at home.I checked them all out in a fun test that was by no means scientific but levelmatched to 0.1db.
The Pcm1794A will stay.The difference between it and the lavry-Benchmark was tonal but not in any way did they differ in Quality.

Its a Nobrainer imo.Its quite Homebrew and looks a little DIY but i like the look.Its sturdy and feels well made.The Improvement over my Multiface1 from 2001 is not Subtile.Oh and i had the money to buy any dac mentioned above.
I ordered one the same evening the test took Place.Cant wait to get MINE!
I'm just wondering if I get one of these, would I clock my Aurora off of it or clock it with the Aurora??? Both will be going into my interface via a digital connection, one spdif and the other optical.
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Slikjmuzik;7999301]I'm just wondering if I get one of these, would I clock my Aurora off of it or clock it with the Aurora???[/QUOTE
I can only speak for the pcm1794a which is da only.It clocks via S/pdif.So from the aurora.I gues you could just wire aes to spdif with no problem or ask him for an adapter or build in solution as everything is fully custom stuff.Your way!
Just heard from ross btw.He will finish my unit this weekend and ships it begin of next week.Cant wait to have my own!
You could just ask him.He is very responsive to mails! I heard back in 30 min max!
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=MonoBrow;7999318]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
I'm just wondering if I get one of these, would I clock my Aurora off of it or clock it with the Aurora???[/QUOTE
I can only speak for the pcm1794a which is da only.It clocks via S/pdif.So from the aurora.I gues you could just wire aes to spdif with no problem or ask him for an adapter or build in solution as everything is fully custom stuff.Your way!
Just heard from ross btw.He will finish my unit this weekend and ships it begin of next week.Cant wait to have my own!
You could just ask him.He is very responsive to mails! I heard back in 30 min max!
I just sent him an email. Hopefully I'll hear back from him shortly...
Old 21st June 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Your U5 will output DI level...but, that completely loses your "less gear in the path"...it's used to feed a more colorful preamp...but, that also is really not that important. Less transformers or tubes is what you need for purity. High current transformer less will be pure. That said, it may not actually sound best, but...
Exactly! I LOVE my U5. I use it all the time. But using it would kinda defeat the purpose in what trying to accomplish with this setup.
Old 22nd June 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
The M-audio card is not a converter, but an I/O for S/PDIF. It is bit accurate. Another good one is RME's 9632 card, that one has ADAT sync and litepipe I/O.

Both require an external ADC and DAC to run.
Forgive me, I'm a bit of a novice. As far I can understand the purpose of this card is to maintain audio performance after the converter(instead of using the computers standard audio in), and as an audio out. Correct?
Old 22nd June 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Consider a PCI digital audio card as an interface between your outboard converters and your computer/software.

Some systems can do that without a card via USB, for those you can connect the Ross Martin or any other DAC with USB inputs directly without the digital sound card.

Most of my stuff is older Pentium based so I have the RME and M-Audio cards in use here.
Thanks! That makes sense. How well do the M-Audio cards measure up to other PCI cards? Obviously they must be pretty good if you mentioned them, and use them.
Old 22nd June 2012
Quote:
The BurrBrown top-o-line converters are for real. They are also not cheap chips either. Not any of that cheapo 5 buck AKM stuff.

Transparent is the word. They are not musical in any euphonic means, they are neutral. Works for me, I don't need the converters to add/change anything. I already have stuff sounding the way I want BEFORE conversion.

What is true are these chips are not offered in aftermarket high end pro audio converters. They use AKM and Crystal stuff. And you will pay dearly for those parts.

Like any red blooded American trying to build a better mousetrap, Ross has offered superior technology, for less. A lot less.

Smart folks will take advanage of this. The rest will continue to spend many times more for less inside and a fancy panel outside.
hi jim, i want ross to build me top notch d/a converter. what parts should i ask for? i will be connecting it to my rme ufx with aes and optical out. thanks!
Old 22nd June 2012
Lives for gear

Wow, that's really cheap if it lives up to the hype Mr. Williams generated about it just right now. I'm interested as well. I find the website confusing though, I'd be looking at the PCM4222 right now. I'm guessing it's a stereo unit at 329$?
Old 22nd June 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post
Wow, that's really cheap if it lives up to the hype Mr. Williams generated about it just right now. I'm interested as well. I find the website confusing though, I'd be looking at the PCM4222 right now. I'm guessing it's a stereo unit at 329$?
Yeah I think so. I'd definitely want metering so that looks like the one for me too.
Old 22nd June 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post
There are a ton of cheap ADs and DAs out on the market now. For my monitor outs I picked up a cheap $69 unit on eBay with the same chips as Jim is describing. I'm not going to tell you that the all components in the analog circuitry are greatest in the world, but honestly, I'm not getting any translation issues between my monitors and the bounced output. Any deficiencies there are more attributable to my listening environment than the circuitry. If I'm inspired someday, I may pick up another unit and change out a few components. It's just not a priority, though.
Old 22nd June 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ross also makes the PCM4222 ADC converter with XLR inputs and metering for $329. I use the PCM4222 here and it's my top dog for ADC.

Hi Jim, unfortunately the pictures on his site are quite poor (and small) and I was wondering if the ADC had a spdif out? I trust your opinions a lot and am intrigued by this unit.It sounds like the AD would be an improvement over my FF400 and I'd like to go spdif OUT, spdif IN to the FF400. I currently use a D-Box for DA and am quite happy with it, but 2chs of top shelf AD at this price sounds like something I should look at.
Old 23rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got $179?

How about a top-o-line Burrbrown PCM1794 DAC with your choice of analog opamps with balanced XLR outputs? It's a better converter chip than AKM stuff and does -129 db dynamic range.

Ross Martin Audio
Wow I'd never heard of this before!!I have been toying with upgrading my D/A conversion as I already have high quality converters with my Focusrite ISA A/D card and Liquid Channel A/D converters.

However, I'm not sure I want yet another extra box in my studio as it's already getting quite messy with leads everywhere! Am gonna wait and see what comes out at Namm next year first.
Old 23rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Just ordered my 4222. Have no clue how long I can expect to be waiting, but am excited beyond belief. Only 2 other options I would have been willing to go for would have been either one of the Blacklion units at well over $1k, or the Burl at well over $2k. This definitely helps me save towards another mic and more acoustic treatment, especially since I'm smack dab in the middle of buying my first house.
Old 24th June 2012
I got the 4222 a year ago or so and it beats my lynx aurora.
also, the 4222 clock even makes my lynx sound better.
Old 24th June 2012
Hi guys,
I'm interested in both the R.M.A. PCM4222 ADC and the PCM1794 Dual”Bare Beast” With OPA627 and OPA1612’s.

I currently use a RME Babyface. I'm looking to get more channels and was looking at a TC Studio Konnekt 48, but also want a truly good 2 ch in and out, and these R.M.A. units looks just like what I'm after and in my price range.

To get the money to buy all this stuff (hobbyist) I'm getting rid of the Babyface, (no point in using it for just it's digital in/out), and I'll get almost all the cash for it to pay for both the DAC and ADC from R.M.A.

So here's my question: Could I, in the meantime, just run these R.M.A. ADC/DAC straight to/from the optical ins/outs on my iMac, or is this "bad"? Just until I get the cash for the TC connect 48. I see the DAC also has USB input, but read something about it being not as good as digital in?

I think I'll get these two units anyway, but it would be cool to be able to order them soon as it will take a good while till they get here (I'm in Europe).

Thanks.
Old 24th June 2012
Lives for gear

Hmm...I'v been looking at getting a good D/A for a while...
But they're suspiciously low priced...their most expensive D/A unit is $324 ... that's almost 4 times cheaper than a Lavry Black ... could it possibly sound anywhere near as good for such a low price?

...I'd have no problem spending $324 on a *good* unit.
Old 24th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
I got the 4222 a year ago or so and it beats my lynx aurora.
also, the 4222 clock even makes my lynx sound better.
Ok, while I'm still going to test for myself, seeing this from someone else who has an Aurora as well definitely makes me at least a little excited in the panties...
Old 6th September 2012
Lives for gear

Any update on the 4222?

I am wondering if I could use it add a couple of hiqh quality channels to my setup.

I am currently using an Apogee Ensemble with a motu 8pre via the ADAT input (Clocked off the Ens) - I also am using a krk ergo off the SPDIF output (clocked off the Ens).

Could I use the 4222 on the SPDIF input? Would my Ensemble then sync via word clock from the 4222 and distribute this sync to the motu & the ergo?

Thanks for any advice, I am not that up on clocking.

Cheers

Orion
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search