The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SCSI vs SATA with PTHD
Old 9th June 2006
Here for the gear

SCSI vs SATA with PTHD

What do you think is the better option SCSI or SATA? I'm having 6042 (PCI bus) errors at 48 voices occasionally. I hear SCSI or SATA might help in this area. Might there be any other suggestions to reduce the 6042 errors? TIA

G4, dual 1.25, 2g RAM, HD1, PT7.1, AGP graphics card, 120G ATA system Drive, 300G ATA storage drive.
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

what sample rate are you running? if 44.1/48KHz you shouldnt have any problem with a single PATA drive. back up your sessions, format (and possibly partition) the drive then restore your sessions. make sure you consolidate you tracks after editing.

if you are running at 96KHz then you will want something faster. SATAII with NCQ can be pretty fast and is certain fast enough for most people. however nothing comes close to SCSI for pure through-put.
Old 10th June 2006
Gear Maniac

you might want to check company such www.firmtek.com or www.sonnettech.com
both are making great SATA card for PCI based computers. I was using their card on all my powermac and result been great. get quality HD from Seagate or WD (their raptor series are considered as the best today)..
nowadays SATA solutions is getting cheaper. I am getting their express card sata for my macbookpro soon..
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

In my experience, with how fast software revisions and drivers are changing, I would DEFINITELY go towards SATA if you can afford the PCI slot. Firmtek has worked great in my experience as well. Also with storage capacities and the lack of proper backup systems, SATA drives are really a convenient and much more economical way with more benefits than drawbacks in my opinion.

As far as performance, if you have up to two SATA drives and don't fill up your drives to more than maybe 75% capacity(ish), they will perform any task you pull on them, even at 96k, into high track counts and edits. This is ONLY from my experience under my situations, as well as a few other studios....so your situation may differ....
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Maniac

check out www.barefeats.com for more review on PCI card and SATA drive. they're doing extensive performance test for every drive available on the market.
both company has internal and external SATA solutions for your need.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search