The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What are the most neutral sounding studio speakers in a $ 2000-2500 range ?
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Addict

What are the most neutral sounding studio speakers in a $ 2000-2500 range ?

While I'm in lust for those Barefoot MM27's, I still think it's a ****load of money for these guys while there maybe excellent very neutral monitors for less...

I know the Barefoots have built in sub and 4 speaker components and with that built quality I guess they're worth the dope but still...

But which one ?

NHT PRo ?
Klein & Hummel ?

Any pointers ?
Old 9th June 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

I have had some NHT Pro M-20 monitors for a short while now and I think they are very neutral. It was between the Dynaudio BM6a which I heard and liked or the NHT M-20, so either would be well in that price range. I have not tried out a lot of monitors, but the M-20 remind me of my B&W speakers I use at home, which I bought because they are a pretty neutral speaker.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Those are 2 good brands to look at for sure.

I'd definitely have a listen at the K+H O110 -- really nice. My experience with the NHTs is that they're a bit brighter, but decent. Might also check out some of the smaller models from ME-Geithain through their US distributor (if you're in the US).

-dave
Old 9th June 2006
Probably the Focal solo 6's
Attached Thumbnails
What are the most neutral sounding studio speakers in a $ 2000-2500 range ?-focal-solo6.jpg  
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

I second the ME-Geithains...

Andreas
Old 9th June 2006
A used pair of passive ATC SCM 20's.
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
A used pair of passive ATC SCM 20's.
Bingo.
Old 10th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G

I'd definitely have a listen at the K+H O110 -- really nice.

Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell
Probably the Focal solo 6's

after thinkin about monitors for weeks, I´m actually sittin in front of my new pair of Focals right now....they´re amazing

Klein/Hummel ....can´t go wrong ( the O300´s rock!!! but ->$$$)

geithains.....never heard them in person ....would love to, though

ATC....can´t go wrong either! ( but with a good amp -> $$$)

Barefoot MM27´s....yeah I know....one day, when I have a really cool, big studio.....
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Check out the BM15A. Awesome. I never heard such a good stereo imaging and dynamics. Killer...
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

PMC TB2S-A
Old 10th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude
after thinkin about monitors for weeks, I´m actually sittin in front of my new pair of Focals right now....they´re amazing ....
There ya go....
Old 10th June 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell
There ya go....

I can believe the story's about the Focals and K&H's, but I have not heard them directly. I'm totally in agreement about the Dynaudio BM15A, and I nominate the Genelec 8040A as well. Yeah, they all sound different! Which one is most neutral? Quien es mas macho? The problem I have is that in that price range, it's all a compromise, so often you pick the one which sounds as close to natural as possible but with a reasonably pleasing tonal balance.

For example, the old BBC LS-3 5A had a pretty big bass rolloff, but they made up for it with a tiny hump in the 120-240 Hz range, giving the impression of more bass. Was it neutral? No, but in its voicing it made up for a lot of weaknesses.

The BM15A sounds extremely neutral, and has a tighter bass than the 8040A. But the 8040A keeps on coming, it has no strong flaws, other than not being able to play that loudly, but that's just not an issue in near to mid-field work, unless you're deaf. The ported loudspeakers like the 8040A all have a family resemblance, but Genelec has come a long way, and the honk is totally gone, all that's left is a little bit of a resonance that sounds pleasant, reminiscent of the compromises of that ancient British BBC speaker in the sense that if there is a coloratio left, Genelec picked the right one!

For mixing, therefore, I highly recommend either the 8040A or the BM15A. Pick your poison. You may find the BM15A goes down a little too low and is a little too big for your room. In that case, its greater neutrality isn't going to help you at all.

BK
Old 10th June 2006
What about the Lipinsky's you were raving about?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Second the PMC TB2. I had them alongside BM15 for a couple of months, the Dynaudios were not in the same league for my needs, so I sold them. SLS also makes some killer ribbon monitors in that price range.

Steve
Old 11th June 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
What about the Lipinsky's you were raving about?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Not in this price range. And the ancillary equipment you need, including subwoofers, is going to make it too pricey.

I personally would not recommend an L-707 or L-505 without a pair of excellent subs. These speakers are really like buying a car without any tires or front and rear bumpers. For the knowledgeable, you can end up making a helluva car, but for the uninitiated they are not the right choice. And when you add the tires and the bumpers, the price is up there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search