Genex converters
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Genex converters

Anyone have 'em, like 'em?
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Had em, sold em, loved em, miss em.

One of the great bargains out there in high end converters, IMO.. Very clear and solid sounding..

They also run hot enough to free-base cocaine with. Bonus.

-dave
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Nut

I had them with my old mix system and sold them when I got HD. Very clean and hot is right! I never had the chance to A/B with the 192's, but my recordings have not gotten worse.

Jamie
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Nut

I demo'd Steve Jarvis's rental units. I have to say... they utterly blew me away. Did an A-B with our Ampex MM1200 during a tape transfer session. Abolutely loved the low-end representation.

Dave... just got a macbook pro... talk about free-basing. My fingers are a simmering this moment!

Don't be a stranger!

Alex
Old 10th June 2006
Gear Addict

Good bargain and solid sounding for the money. I use them as extra converters when I don't have enough EMM Labs channels.
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks all!
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Same here. Excellent A-Ds for a good price. I use them for channels 9-16 after the Prism ADA-8 which sounds just a bit more natural tonally and slightly more detailed. Its a pretty subtle difference.

FWIW I understand that the convertors in the 90xx recorders are based on the stand-alone but not quite the same.

Best,
Silas
Old 25th July 2006
Lives for gear

Silas,
what dealer did you get your genex's from?
they've been around for a while, and technology changes so fast... do you believe thier design is still current?

thanks,
AA
Old 26th July 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy

FWIW I understand that the convertors in the 90xx recorders are based on the stand-alone but not quite the same.
I have used my Genex 9000 with both the outboard (Genex) and the inboard converters and If there is a difference it isn't readily apparent.
Like them alot.
Old 5th August 2006
Lives for gear

Any other weight ins?
Old 5th August 2006
Lives for gear

Hi AA,

Sorry to have missed this for so long. The subscription feature seems to not be working for me...

I got mine from Strassberg & Assoc in NYC (212) 315-9551 and I think you may be able to get them direct from Genex in CA as well - don't know where you are located.

I think they hold up well against the new designs that I've heard although I haven't heard many recently...

To Rick:

Didn't mean to imply that they were lesser quality although I can see how my wordding would imply that. This info came from Kevin Brown at Genex in a phone discussion we had some time ago. I think he may have qualified it in a little more detail but I can't remember exactly what the differences were (or it may have gone over my head at the time). I suspect it had to do with the fact that the GXAs are a dedicated unit while the converters in the 900xx are part of a larger whole (with potentially many more channels) and therefor need to be integrated differently. I agree (and I speculate Kevin would also) that any audible difference would be extremely subtle - the ones in the 90xx series are very good as you say. I wouldn't hesitate to use either of them as I do the GXA-8.

Best,
Silas
Old 5th August 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy
To Rick:

Didn't mean to imply that they were lesser quality although I can see how my wordding would imply that. This info came from Kevin Brown at Genex in a phone discussion we had some time ago. I think he may have qualified it in a little more detail but I can't remember exactly what the differences were (or it may have gone over my head at the time). I suspect it had to do with the fact that the GXAs are a dedicated unit while the converters in the 900xx are part of a larger whole (with potentially many more channels) and therefor need to be integrated differently. I agree (and I speculate Kevin would also) that any audible difference would be extremely subtle - the ones in the 90xx series are very good as you say. I wouldn't hesitate to use either of them as I do the GXA-8.

Best,
Silas
Hi Silas,
No worries. I really didn't take your post as anything negative toward the inbuilt converters. I was just reporting my experiences and I really don't do detailed comparison tests as some do so I honestly can't say I would be the best source for any detailed analysis. I'm kinda in the camp that if something sounds good to me I concentrate on the musical issues at hand and get on with it. Anyway, the Genex converters are sounding good here and get used in the 9000 when I get a call for acoustic music remotes.
Best regards, Rick
Old 8th August 2006
Gear Head

HOw much do these guys go for?
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Weight View Post
Any other weight ins?
BUMP, ANY OTHER COMMENTS........?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search