The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Manley dual mic pre
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Manley dual mic pre

How does this compare with other pre's such as the Great river MP-2NV or the API 512c (X2). I realise the Manley is a tube pre but what have people used it on to good effect? I'm looking for something to record vocals and a nice, bright upright acoustic in stereo.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 9th June 2006
These are tube pre's that are very smooth sounding. Amazing pre's, not better than Great River, just different. Great River is weighter and has a more open top end, the Manley is just big and smooth or warm.
Old 9th June 2006
IMS
Gear Maniac

It also sounds quite different depending upon which output you use. There are two sets--balanced with transformers, which give that rounder, more tube-like sound, and unbalanced without transformers. The latter sound extremely clean--you wouldn't associate the sound with tubes at all. The only bummer is that you can't leave both hooked up and switch between them...

It was my first high end pre, and even though I have several others now, it's still my go-to pre.

Irwin

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search