The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are the best delay units for vocals?
Old 2nd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
Is this what I need to get a fully fledged 2290 or is it something different? What are the best delay units for vocals?Upgrade 4 8SEC TC Electronic 2290 TC2290 RAM Delay | eBay
Yeap.......That's the upgrade path. When the eBay vendor is talking about no fast trigger option eproms left etc, I don't actually think this is true! I do know 100% TC Electronic were making TC2290's up until 3-4 years ago through the numerous amount of spare parts that they have and managed to cobble together around 20 units. I know this as a friend of mine acquired one and then resold it early this year on ebayOz.

I would certainly jump on this Waldie, if for no other reason then to have a spare eprom set and Ram modules. My advice would be upgrade your TC2290 and it's not a scary affair, there is plenty of room to work in, and those eproms just pull in/out with a 3.95$ eprom puller from Jaycar/Dick Smith etc.

I'm pretty sure at that O.S you can also load in more memory then 8 Seconds Stereo, like many Parity/Non Parity designs the TC2290 just needs to see and even pair of RAM modules to function, if you filled the unit with 7 modules instead of 8 or 5 instead of 4 RAM modules it would be an error and default. Though yeap! If that was my 2290......I'd place an order!

Cheers
-TLB-
Old 2nd June 2013
Gear Maniac
2290 and pcm41
Old 2nd June 2013
Lives for gear
Thanks TheLastByte. I will place the order.
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks TheLastByte. I will place the order.
Cool, I think in the worst case scenario, well you have spare Ram Eproms and OS System Proms.

Best.....You'll be expanding to 8 seconds and then be able to regenerate the delay to your hearts content, I'm almost certain the extra memory will allow much more access to some preset Programs from where you can start creating your own Patches making the 2290 your star unit. I'd also check the SDRAM Memory and see if it's generic or specific (Made for TC) as if it's stamped with a certain company/Maker/Corp, you can easily still buy 25-30 year old SDRAM Chips and throw in extra memory yourself, Digikey, mouser and plenty of companies keep stocks of this stuff, you'd be amazed at it's daily, weekly and decade usage by the most banal items!

Good luck Waldie!
-TLB-
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

For what it's worth, the H8000-FW has a patch with dual TC2290 delays. Don't know though how it compares to the original.
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear
I was too late. Another person beat me to it on ebay. I will keep looking out for the ram upgrade.
The H8000FW patch is good but nothing quite like the real deal TC 2290.
The delay I really like on the H8000FW is the Gorgeous Delay preset.
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Anyone know what analogue delays are good for a very close double tracking effect? eg 10-25ms. Or if a Space Echo can achieve this.
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was too late. Another person beat me to it on ebay. I will keep looking out for the ram upgrade.
The H8000FW patch is good but nothing quite like the real deal TC 2290.
The delay I really like on the H8000FW is the Gorgeous Delay preset.
Waldie, keep that ebay store on file, I've now known 2 x TC2290 users apart from yourself (And after your initial 2290 purchase) whom have bought those kits, they do work and give you a degree of expandability you really require as far as insurance for your TC2290 is concerned. I'm happy to walk you through the instal via PM or Mobile! Those kits always keep coming up from that same ebay store....I'd contact them and order one on spec awaiting their next batch! Very good TC2290 insurance move! (As if your O.S Proms go wonky, your covered, just as with an Eventide H3000!)

Or get Italo to make you a set of 2290 patches based on your 2290 and 1210 spatial etc!

JMHO of course!
Cheers
-TLB-
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear
Thanks for your kind offer to walk me through the install via PM or mobile.
I left a message with the ebay seller about the 2290 ram upgrade.
Italo is a fantastic (amazing) Eventide H8000FW Vsig programer. He is also so friendly and helpful. I read on another website that he has a TC2290 as well as many other FX units. So talented.
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

No problem.....Indeed Italo is a very masterful FX Programmer! Amazing Gig to do the Eventide's from the 7000 series upwards! (worse Italo can program them all backwards) serious chops indeed!

-TLB-
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear
I just won an ebay auction for a TC 2290 ram upgrade. The seller must have got my message put some more ram on ebay. I am looking forward to installing the memory.
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just won an ebay auction for a TC 2290 ram upgrade. The seller must have got my message put some more ram on ebay. I am looking forward to installing the memory.
Great Waldie, If you need a hand with the 2290 install or become unsure of what goes where, how and why........just send me a PM.

Good Luck - Great Score!

Cheers

-TLB-
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear
Thanks TheLastByte. I am really excited the seller relisted the RAM. I will let you know if I need a hand with installing it. Any ideas on where I can get the latest OS for it and what is involved?
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

Waldie
I'm pretty sure once your up to 0.27 then really your just wanting to send an Email to TC HQ and ask them for a 0.28 EPROM Operating System Upgrade. That might be $150.00 Bucks, though will give you all the options required for the KITCHEN SINK TC 2290. I'll check my FX Unit Folders and ask a Mate and see what I can come up with, then send you a PM. Good move though as no matter what, you now have a spare set of O.S Chips and possibly access to cheaper RAM to fill all slots.

Cheers
-TLB-
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear
I think I have EPROM 0.28 installed. I pressed Spec O then enter and it showed 28.05 sva. If that is the case then it should be sweet with the RAM I just ordered.
Old 7th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Anyone know what analogue delays are good for a very close double tracking effect? eg 10-25ms. Or if a Space Echo can achieve this.
A PCM 41 works great. Or a full tone if you want tape.
Old 7th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory View Post
A PCM 41 works great. Or a full tone if you want tape.
PCM would do it, but I want to stay analogue. Fulltone is a little expensive. Do you know any others, or what speed a Space Echo goes down to?
Old 7th June 2013
Gear Maniac

Best Delays

Don't forget if you don't already know what a 42 does if you slam the input.
Old 30th May 2019
Here for the gear

Hi, in May 2019, AUDIOS inventor Klaus Fischer presented a revival of his machine at the
Superbooth fair in Berlin. Further infos can be found on his website:
https://www.audios.klausfischer.de .
You may rent the Barth AUDIOS at Echoschall company in Berlin at a fair rate:
https://www.echoschall.de/en/synths-...ser-delay.html

Cheers!
Old 30th May 2019
Here for the gear

I love the Moog 500 series analog delay on vocals.
Very nice “that’s much better” sound at not extreme settings.
I’ve tried a few plugins to see how close I can get, but always preferred the Moog.
Unfortunately finances are coming before my hobbies.
It’s up for auction till Saturday. :-(
Old 30th May 2019
Lexicon pcm 42
Ibanez dm2000 (cheap price NOT build, outsourced by Ibanez and over engineered)
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalgear View Post
2290 and pcm41
These are my two favourite hardware delays for vocals. I also like the Lexicon Prime Time model 97. It is gorgeous.

For stereo widening, I have been using the delay function on the Eventide H949 with a short delay on the main output and a slightly longer delay on the delay output. Then having the 2 outputs panned hard L and hard R in Pro Tools or on the Dangerous 2Buss.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Real tape delay is not the easiest maintenance but a working Space Echo or Echoplex on a vocal I s such a thing of beauty.

Probably not worth it for some genres, but if you want something “vibey”, they deliver.

The imperfections are amazing.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
Real tape delay is not the easiest maintenance but a working Space Echo or Echoplex on a vocal I s such a thing of beauty.

Probably not worth it for some genres, but if you want something “vibey”, they deliver.

The imperfections are amazing.
I have a space echo and korg stage echo, awesome delays. But i also just made a cassette tape delay, and is also amazing. A little noisier, but it has a "bite" to the feedback that is very unique, great for synths, haven't tried it on voice, but will now. But also my moogerfooger and minifooger delays are incredible tools, especially being able to modulate delay time.

I have never been a fan of the standard "chorus" effects, but using CV to modulate an analog delay allows you get chorus-like effects that are out of this world sick. I usually use a smoothed sample and hold to very subtly modulate delay time, and it is by far my favorite effect I have ever heard
📝 Reply