The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
For those of you swapping 2520 opamps in 550A..
Old 11th June 2012
Gear Nut

For those of you swapping 2520 opamps in 550A..

For those of you that have swapped out the modern 2520 opamps in your 550A - what are you sticking in there? Red Dots, Gar2520, 1731s? I am tracking mostly bass, electric & acoustic guitar and piano. Any suggestions? I already have a couple CAPI Missing Links in the chain (1 per chain) for some vintage flavor - didn't know if anything in particular went well with the EQs.
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

I have Red Dots in most everything. I just recently tested the Gars again and the 1731's. I still prefer the red dots. They just have a sound I like. To me its more alive but not harsh like the modern API's. The Gars are my second favorites of the modern alternatives. They just are missing something by a hair for me. Not sure what it is, not bad at all and not gonna die on you mid session! If you can swing the dough for the red dots I would do that other wise I would go for the Gars.

Also, have you tried either in the EQ's? Sometimes I do like the Blue Dots in some eq's. Just depends on what your ears like to hear. To me summing sections and eq's can use something a little faster sometimes but pres seem to always need the Red Dots. Maybe you should buy 1 of each and test them and see what you like.

BTW, missing links rule. By far some of the coolest pieces I have in my studio and they get used alot / always. I wish I had 4 more.
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

+1 on the red dots
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

I recently swapped the 2520's in my Api 5500 for Inward Connections VF600's which Steve Firlotte said were designed to be a direct replacement for the 2520. I really like them so far. I created a thread about it a month back titled something like "API 5500 2520 vs Inward Connections VF600" and it has some short clips. It might be worth checking out. I have no experience with the red dots. Best of luck - paul
Old 13th June 2012
Gear Nut

Vintage or Modern?

Interesting, are they supposed to replicate modern or vintage 2520?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmachine View Post
I recently swapped the 2520's in my Api 5500 for Inward Connections VF600's which Steve Firlotte said were designed to be a direct replacement for the 2520. I really like them so far. I created a thread about it a month back titled something like "API 5500 2520 vs Inward Connections VF600" and it has some short clips. It might be worth checking out. I have no experience with the red dots. Best of luck - paul
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

The VF600's are their own thing. I don't think they were designed to emulate the 2520 sound, but they are compatible as a replacement. I want to be very careful about speaking for Steve, and I don't want to create any misinformation. I inquired about whether the SPA690's or VF600 could replace the 2520's in my 5500, and he mentioned the VF600 was a direct replacement. I think the sound of them is all Inward Connections. - paul
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

What would be close to mid 70's API 2520's? How about 2510's or did those come later?
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

Red Dots are super close to the old school 2520's.

2510's are completely different. Not the same pin out or anything else really.
Old 14th June 2012
Lives for gear

Maybe I am not a gear slut or it's because the APIs I am tracking with right now just sounds so good on this fender super reverb, but if I had to replace my 2520 Op Amps, I'd replace them with more 2520 Op Amps.
Old 14th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller View Post
Maybe I am not a gear slut or it's because the APIs I am tracking with right now just sounds so good on this fender super reverb, but if I had to replace my 2520 Op Amps, I'd replace them with more 2520 Op Amps.
I believe there've been different versions / eras of the 2520 over it's existence, these clones try to replicate what they give. Some like the flavor of a particular period. Not an indictment of one being better than the other, just fun & curiosity.

FWIW, I really dig the sound of John Frusciante "Curtains" record. He's got Daniel Lanois' old 70's era API that came from a Record Plant studio. So... I'm thinking how would one of these 2520 flavors work my API DSM system.
Old 2nd June 2017
Gear Addict
The Scott Leibers red dots are closer to the older
Version of API red dots , not the modern one coming in API mfg las few years .
I much prefer Scotts over the new ones
Jmo
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

any opinions on Louder Than Liftoffs Rouge Five?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search