The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best/Most Popular All Around 'Vocal' Mic. under $15,000?
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Meaning it can capably record from a whisper to the loudest yell, from a baritone to a falsetto, from a rapper to an opera vocalist, & everything in between to the greatest degree of perfection.

I.E.: Like what the D112 is to Kick drum mic's. Or, what the SM57 is to snare drum ,or guitar amp mic's. This is all pretty much cost no option with what is the comparable mic. for 'all' around vocals. I'm thinking Brauner VM1, Sony C800G, AKG C12, Neumann U87, AKG C414, Audio Technica AT4050, or anything else that comes to mind.

A 777 Subject.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

new mic, elam 251.

But the Magmic holds its own for much less $$$. In fact, it is under 3k and the best tube mic you will get for that $$$>
Old 8th June 2006
More cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
new mic, elam 251.

But the Magmic holds its own for much less $$$. In fact, it is under 3k and the best tube mic you will get for that $$$>
84, I've heard you say this before, and it just boggles my mind that anything built in a flashlight is that good :-)

I would trial one, but I think they are made to order. In fact, I am LDC shopping atm.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777

... AKG C414...
If you're talking BEST at (essentially) no price limit, I don't think this will be anywhere near the list.

BUT, the top three tends to read something like:

-AKG C12
-U47

The order changes depending on who you ask. Me, I think a 251 takes the prize.
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Though i am not familiar with it, would buying the blue bottle along with all bottle caps be an option? that should be under $15K and i would assume with all 8 caps it would give a variety of different sounds for different uses.
Old 8th June 2006
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo
The order changes depending on who you ask. Me, I think a 251 takes the prize.
You have one, don't you.... you live in Chi... have a 251... You aren't Bruce B.'s buddy, are ya?

My vote would have to be for a Neuman m249. Better top end than a 47, and without the midrange peaks of the c12 or 251. Best of both worlds kind of a thing... ya know?
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777
I.E.: Like what the D112 is to Kick drum mic's pretty much even cost not option what is the comparable mic.

Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by username
i think the elam 251 would have something to say about the d112 on the kick, or to any other mic on vox!
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

you want the most expensive??...various mics work best for need/application
for $$15k you can get a few excellent mics
Dont dis the MagMic just because Stayne didnt spend a lot for the case...why should he when Maglights are made in vast quantity??and the expense is in the electronics and capsule....plus its cool and a great topic of conversation
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777

Meaning it can capably record from a whisper to the loudest yell, from a baritone to a falsetto, from a rapper to an opera vocalist, & everything in between to the greatest degree of perfection.

I.E.: Like what the D112 is to Kick drum mic's pretty much even cost not option what is the comparable mic. for 'all' around vocals. I'm thinking Brauner VM1, Sony C800G, AKG C12, Neumann U87, AKG C414, Audio Technica AT4050, or anything else that comes to mind.

A 777 Subject.
one mic? for everything?...hell Korby Kat set comes to mind. one mic, 5 heads. C800, 251, C12, U47, U67

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-shoot-outs-sound-file-comparisons-audio-tests/35059-u67-u47-korby-kat4-shopping-shootout.html

and 15k+ for one mic? I'm on the wrong end of the businessheh
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Addict

Under 15k??!?
Geez, there aren't a whole lotta mics OVER 15k...
I've got a 57 that was once in the same city that Jimi Hendrix might have once been in that I'll sell you for a mere 15.1k...heh
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

With 15K, I would get a pair of U67's. But I'll never bad mouth a good 251.

Steve
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Hell, with $15k you could get a matched pair of Telefunken USA Elam 251 E's or a 251 and their U-47, and still have money left over for dinner.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

15 k for one mic is quite a non-sense, if we talk recording music (not collecting).
From pure practice and many mics tried and owned, practically all bases are covered with:

Wagner 47 + Brauner VM1 KHE + Korby 67/251 (together mere 20 k)

I can't remember case when at least one of these mics didn't put smile on my face with various vocalists.

or on other side 15k is good starting point to save for real ELAM251, if money is no object.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

i'd say to go for a VM1-KHE and some mics that fill out your collection...for instance, if you have nothing in the ribbon department, spend the extra dough on a ribbon mic and a good quiet preamp for it. however, the KHE is no longer made and i don't think anyone that's got one (or in a couple of cases, five) is selling their mic any time soon.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon
KHE is no longer made and i don't think anyone that's got one (or in a couple of cases, five) is selling their mic any time soon.
I have nice pair, as new, for 30 k. heh

Anyone?
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
I have nice pair, as new, for 30 k. heh

Anyone?
No thank you.

I have mine and I am quite happy
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

A Didrik de Geer perhaps?
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
You have one, don't you.... you live in Chi... have a 251... You aren't Bruce B.'s buddy, are ya?
Chicago, yes... 251, yes... A few friends named Bruce, yes... But I don't think I've ever mentioned any of them here at GS.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Guru

For 15k you can get a Korby set of 4, have them each tuned to your liking ... a Martech MSS-10 pre for clean and something colorful like a V72/V76 ... and an ASB mono or TT CL1b compressor.
Old 9th June 2006

The BEST all around vocal mic.....

Regardless of budget, you would be hard pressed to get a bad vocal out of a good U87... Sure it's not the super sexy ELAM251 that others have mentioned. But, I can think of several situations where I wouldn't want to use an ELAM...

I can't think of a situation where the typical U87 wouldn't work.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Addict

Rode NTK
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub
84, I've heard you say this before, and it just boggles my mind that anything built in a flashlight is that good :-)

I would trial one, but I think they are made to order. In fact, I am LDC shopping atm.

I know. Hard to believe. But it just sounds that great. best under 3k tube mic I've had the pleasure to use.
Old 9th June 2006
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
I can't think of a situation where the typical U87 wouldn't work.
A stock 67 in good shape is another universal choice. They both sound best without a pop screen.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

If your in K67/87 land I should re-iterate the innerTube U87 seems to me as the best of both worlds. Bob O, I've read before how you like an unmodded U67 eq'd with some hi's (me too), but you seriously ought to test drive this sucker - you'd love it.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I think the choice will come down to either a Brauner VM-1 Klaus Heyne, or Telefunken Ela M251AC.

A 777 Subject.
Old 9th June 2006
so the 251 is the "best" microphone just 'cus it's the most expensive...... ??
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell
so the 251 is the "best" microphone just 'cus it's the most expensive...... ??
Absolutely heh

When do you need the mic? I ask because it might take Telefunken a while to make it, so it it's something you need say next week, then I would doubt is they would have it done by then.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Might want to check out a Brauner VMA as well. It is tuned like a VM-1, but then it has another setting (a B setting where I think the mic rebiases) and it sounds much different. My pops ownes one and finds the VM-1 setting to work great on female vox, while the other setting works better for most male vox. It turns the ultra transparent highs in to something more fuzzy and pleasing (the b setting that is).

I tried it against a slew of 87s and 67s, and It sounded like it was worth more money than all of those mics put together.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
so the 251 is the "best" microphone just 'cus it's the most expensive
I doubt people here are that goofy. Even in TN's blind mic shootout the Tele was the #1 pick by a landslide - it really stood out. TN will be the first to say not to pick a mic based on this, but at the very least it shows the Tele to stand out even without it's badge and price tag.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search