The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dave Hill Titan versus Crane Song Trakker Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 26th November 2013
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I would agree that you don't need an 1176 if you have a Dragon.
FWIW, I disagree. They sound like different boxes. Functionality aside.
Old 26th November 2013
  #32
Gear Nut
 

OMG I was meaning to reply to AB3…but thank you for reply herecomesyourman …or should I call you: Robert Deniro!!!! *looks around* are you...talking to me? That was funny!!!
Old 26th November 2013
  #33
Lives for gear
 
in the red's Avatar
 

to the op: guessing from your avatar, are you doing filmmusic and such? if so, then i would imagine the trakker is a good choice! because it´s not a mojo comp, but lets you dig into it´s compression behaviour real deep! tweekers paradise! plus, they are really transparent! they were my go-to acoustic guitar comps as i found most other comps too audible for this task. surprisingly though, on a stereo mix or group, they could get aggressive too. on most other individual instruments i prefered other comps though, so i sold them.
you might also want to consider, that it doesn´t have stepped controls! so they are kinda hard to recall (another reason why i sold them).
Old 26th November 2013
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
FWIW, I disagree. They sound like different boxes. Functionality aside.
you're probably right, I was making a broad assumption. Can you describe the differences? I'm curious about the dragon, and don't use phrases like "sounds huge"
Old 26th November 2013
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Mike O's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the red View Post
to the op: guessing from your avatar, are you doing filmmusic and such? if so, then i would imagine the trakker is a good choice! because it´s not a mojo comp, but lets you dig into it´s compression behaviour real deep! tweekers paradise! plus, they are really transparent! they were my go-to acoustic guitar comps as i found most other comps too audible for this task. surprisingly though, on a stereo mix or group, they could get aggressive too. on most other individual instruments i prefered other comps though, so i sold them.
you might also want to consider, that it doesn´t have stepped controls! so they are kinda hard to recall (another reason why i sold them).
Understood and agreed with the clarification that yes they can be aggressive, but that is more up to the user. Plenty of people (Katz) use them in a mastering context. He did however ask Dave Hill for a slower attack several years ago and if I remember right the mod (higher resistance pot) was included in subsequent units and maybe even the STC-8s. This mod simply extends the range of attack; the fastest attack was/is still possible.

Use them on groups/mix quite often depending on the material.
Old 10th March 2014
  #36
I agree both are great compressors, after I A/B them, I preferred the Tracker. I just like the way it's setup with the options, sound and look.
Old 10th March 2014
  #37
Lives for gear
 
tekis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
No you can't achieve an LA-2a sound from a Trakker, what you can get is a really nice sound from a Trakker with different tonal variations. The Trakker is wonderful when you really need to hit a compressor hard but don't want to hear it. For voice over the trakker is a killer. All this emulation hoopla you hear about with the Trakker and the Distressor are basically marketing bs, That's not to say you can't get lot's of nice and different sounds from either box. I prefer the Trakker for vocals by a lot over the distressor though.
Very good description of the Trakker!
Old 11th March 2014
  #38
Lives for gear
 
666666's Avatar
I like compressors that are very accurate, quick, clear, colorless... well, I want the ability to achieve this type of performance anyway for times when I feel it's needed.

At the last NY AES, I spoke with Dave Hill and asked him, between the Titan and Trakker, which one can achieve a more "accurate", pure, colorless state, when desired. His answer, the Titan.

Having said that, both the Titan and Trakker of course have a lot of neat color options / controls. They would seem to be all about color dialing. But it's nice to know that the Titan can run ultra pure and clean for when you want that type of performance (per Dave's account).

I'm sure the Trakker can get quite clean too, but I know a lot of folks consider the STC-8 to be "clean", and to me the STC-8 surely has a "color"... very subtle, yes, but it isn't completely "invisible." My guess is that the Trakker is closer to the cleanliness of the STC-8 and the Titan is closer to being "invisible"... generally speaking... (when all are set as "clean" as possible).

I've only heard the STC-8 (own one) and plan on trying some Titans soon. Love the feature set on the Titans, the ability to easily stereo match some of the controls, parallel mix function, sidechain I/O option, etc. And the price is ridiculous (as in ridiculously low) for what you get.

Old 11th March 2014
  #39
Gear Maniac
 
catfishmusic's Avatar
I love my Trakkers. Super versatile. Total keepers.
Old 13th March 2014
  #40
Gear Head
 

I have a pair of Trakkers. They can be set up to be very transparent. For me, they more than cover most any transparent compression situation? Fantastic pieces, very versatile! In fact the wide range of choices with a Trakker can be a bit daunting until one has a chance to spend some of time with it. Looking forward to checking out a Titan though.
Old 14th April 2014
  #41
Here for the gear
 
Adlerburg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
No you can't achieve an LA-2a sound from a Trakker, what you can get is a really nice sound from a Trakker with different tonal variations. The Trakker is wonderful when you really need to hit a compressor hard but don't want to hear it. For voice over the trakker is a killer. All this emulation hoopla you hear about with the Trakker and the Distressor are basically marketing bs, That's not to say you can't get lot's of nice and different sounds from either box. I prefer the Trakker for vocals by a lot over the distressor though.
I might agree from the standpoint of that I can't get one LA2A to sound like the next... But I respectfully disagree that you can't achieve an opto sound in the ball park of an LA2A. I use the Trakkers every day, and the only thing I find daunting is the variables. There's something to be said for a compressor like Elysia's m/x-pressor (which I use as well daily) where the instant gratification factor is there. I'm finally starting to be able to dial in the Trakkers decently quickly. Once dialed in, the "oh baby" factor is in abundance. I can't give a comparison, as I've not had my hands on the Titan, but I can say the Trakker is without a doubt a "desert Island" piece.... one of the finest compressors I've had the pleasure of working with. As for color, and I think someone else eluded to this... even stressing it to the max.. the color is subtle. This thing just does something that makes everything sound a bit better. Probably the class A electronics etc.... but I've done multiple projects with the Trakkers backed by Bax on the 2 bus.. and thought why would I ever change the chain.
Good luck
Mick
Old 14th April 2014
  #42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerburg View Post
I might agree from the standpoint of that I can't get one LA2A to sound like the next... But I respectfully disagree that you can't achieve an opto sound in the ball park of an LA2A. I use the Trakkers every day, and the only thing I find daunting is the variables. There's something to be said for a compressor like Elysia's m/x-pressor (which I use as well daily) where the instant gratification factor is there. I'm finally starting to be able to dial in the Trakkers decently quickly. Once dialed in, the "oh baby" factor is in abundance. I can't give a comparison, as I've not had my hands on the Titan, but I can say the Trakker is without a doubt a "desert Island" piece.... one of the finest compressors I've had the pleasure of working with. As for color, and I think someone else eluded to this... even stressing it to the max.. the color is subtle. This thing just does something that makes everything sound a bit better. Probably the class A electronics etc.... but I've done multiple projects with the Trakkers backed by Bax on the 2 bus.. and thought why would I ever change the chain.
Good luck
Mick
I own a Trakker and a CL1b for years now, and I love them both, but they are different sounds, both are great but they are different
Old 29th December 2017
  #43
Lives for gear
Old quote...

Djkazzanova

Still stand by this quote?


Quote:
Originally Posted by djkazzanova View Post
To me it's the best Rap Vocal outboard compressor I've used and I own most of the big-boy compressors.
Old 29th December 2017
  #44
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Djkazzanova

Still stand by this quote?
That piqued my interest also.
Old 29th December 2017
  #45
Can't go wrong with the Tracker or Titan, they both offer flexibility in the clean arena. I have used both and I prefer the work flow of the Tracker. The Titan has VCA color, and dynamic color controls, and fat and air switches which takes a little more time getting your head wrapped around.

The Tracker has the standard controls with a character knob from VCA hard, soft , Optical and air optical. Very simple to use and I can get the results I want fast.
Old 31st December 2017
  #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Can't go wrong with the Tracker or Titan, they both offer flexibility in the clean arena. I have used both and I prefer the work flow of the Tracker. The Titan has VCA color, and dynamic color controls, and fat and air switches which takes a little more time getting your head wrapped around.

The Tracker has the standard controls with a character knob from VCA hard, soft , Optical and air optical. Very simple to use and I can get the results I want fast.
years later I still have both my CL1b and my Trakker and still love them both. But my new toy that I'm loving is a Grove Hill Liverpool. It imparts an energy and girth without screwing with the tone in a negative way. If you have a vocal that could use some oomph the Liverpool really shines with this.
Old 2nd January 2018
  #47
Lives for gear
 
IanBSC's Avatar
I own a pair of Trakkers and Titans. The Titans are more transparent, but the Trakkers provide more useful styles of compression, so I go with them more. The Trakkers also have a side chain out so I can HPF the detector circuit, which is really important. With the Titans, on some bassy voices and instruments I've gotten unwanted modulation from the lows, and there is no way to reduce it except EQ the source. The Titans seem best with percussive instruments and sounds, they are great with room mics and overheads.
Old 2nd January 2018
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Steamy Williams's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
The Trakkers also have a side chain out so I can HPF the detector circuit, which is really important. With the Titans, on some bassy voices and instruments I've gotten unwanted modulation from the lows, and there is no way to reduce it except EQ the source.
Sidechain I/O is available as a factory mod for the Titan.
Old 2nd January 2018
  #49
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
I own a pair of Trakkers and Titans. The Titans are more transparent, but the Trakkers provide more useful styles of compression, so I go with them more. The Trakkers also have a side chain out so I can HPF the detector circuit, which is really important. With the Titans, on some bassy voices and instruments I've gotten unwanted modulation from the lows, and there is no way to reduce it except EQ the source. The Titans seem best with percussive instruments and sounds, they are great with room mics and overheads.
In another thread a Titan owner mentioned that FAT mode is similar to a HPF, as it compresses the mids and highs more than the bottom. Have you used it in that manner?
Old 2nd January 2018
  #50
Lives for gear
 
IanBSC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams View Post
Sidechain I/O is available as a factory mod for the Titan.
I was not aware of this. This would be a pretty essential mod.
Old 2nd January 2018
  #51
Lives for gear
 
IanBSC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
In another thread a Titan owner mentioned that FAT mode is similar to a HPF, as it compresses the mids and highs more than the bottom. Have you used it in that manner?
I generally use the FAT setting. It's different than a nice 150hz HP Filter. The modes alter the tonality somewhat and the amount of low end, but FAT is still sensitive to modulation from the bass.
Old 2nd January 2018
  #52
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
I generally use the FAT setting. It's different than a nice 150hz HP Filter. The modes alter the tonality somewhat and the amount of low end, but FAT is still sensitive to modulation from the bass.
Roger that. Hmmm, would have to ask for the HPF mod if going for a Titan then.

Surprised one wasn't included considering the versatile nature of the comp.
Old 9th January 2018
  #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Djkazzanova

Still stand by this quote?
Hey Happy New Year Twenty Staxx. Lately I have been using the Splice mk2 500 (New toy fever) but the Titans are dope. It makes the vocals Louder & Thicker without any or very little audible difference. Here are 2 examples for you to download and look at the wave form. So it can be easy to hear I alternated them with the 1st vocal as original, The 2nd time you hear it with the Titans, 3rd original, 4th titan... Test 1 is a softer knee and test 2 a harder knee.
Attached Files

Dave Hill Titan Test 1.wav (2.52 MB, 788 views)

Dave Hill Titan Test 2.wav (2.52 MB, 875 views)


Last edited by djkazzanova; 9th January 2018 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 9th January 2018
  #54
Lives for gear
Thanks djkazzanova! I really like what it does to the vocal. My current comps of choice for vox are the Awtac Compressor which is soft knee only but I like alot, airfield liminator and rnd 535. All employed for specific reasons but between these I am pretty much able to get what I want. How you liking the splice?


Quote:
Originally Posted by djkazzanova View Post
Hey Happy New Year Twenty Staxx. Lately I have been using the Splice mk2 500 (New toy fever) but the Titans are dope. It makes the vocals Louder & Thicker without any or very little audible difference. Here are 2 examples for you to download and look at the wave form. So it can be easy to hear I alternated them with the 1st vocal as original, The 2nd time you hear it with the Titans, 3rd original, 4th titan... Test 1 is a softer knee and test 2 a harder knee.
Old 9th January 2018
  #55
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkazzanova View Post
Hey Happy New Year Twenty Staxx. Lately I have been using the Splice mk2 500 (New toy fever) but the Titans are dope. It makes the vocals Louder & Thicker without any or very little audible difference. Here are 2 examples for you to download and look at the wave form. So it can be easy to hear I alternated them with the 1st vocal as original, The 2nd time you hear it with the Titans, 3rd original, 4th titan... Test 1 is a softer knee and test 2 a harder knee.
Thanks very much. Hard knee suits the in your face vocal.
Old 10th January 2018
  #56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Thanks djkazzanova! How you liking the splice?
I really like the Splice mk2 500. Its the real deal. I'm using it now for my Voice-Over work and its working great. Here is a pic of my portable channel strip:
Attached Thumbnails
Dave Hill Titan versus Crane Song Trakker-splice-500.jpg  
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
gregor z / Mastering Forum
173
tootired / So Much Gear, So Little Time
44
Wesley Manley / Mastering Forum
2
audiopc2000 / Product Alerts older than 2 months
43
JSVice / Music Computers
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump