Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Awesome, thanks guys!!
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Have any of you tried it with a TG-2?
Old 3rd May 2013
Gear Addict

I run the pearlman through an API 512c, then into the 1176 section of a 6176, then use the avalon 737 eq to add back some air and a lil bump around 1.5k-3k.

Freakin beautiful sounding.
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrederick View Post
I run the pearlman through an API 512c, then into the 1176 section of a 6176, then use the avalon 737 eq to add back some air and a lil bump around 1.5k-3k.

Freakin beautiful sounding.
Oh nice, I kinda use my ISA like that. I run live level into it quite a bit just for the EQ.
Old 3rd May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Gotcha, so you hear things with the Pearlman the same way Tony does. Wow, sounds like I might end up using my 1272 for vocals more than I thought...btw, what other pres have you tried it on that sound good for Rock vocals(daughtry, nickelback)...and, would you use it for a pop vocals track? If so, which pre would you lean towards?
I've also used the Pearlman with a Pacifica and a Chandler Germanium. For vocals, either rock or pop, it is almost always the 1073. I prefer the Pacifica for overheads, and sometimes, with amps and always with synths. I never got on with the Chandler Germ.
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Sounds like you have some nice pairing ideas, Julian. I had a TM-1 and really liked it. However, for me I liked the BAE on vocals. I like the Pacifica idea, but I would also get a pre like the BAE, M72, with more heft for variety. Good luck, great mic!
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny C View Post
Sounds like you have some nice pairing ideas, Julian. I had a TM-1 and really liked it. However, for me I liked the BAE on vocals. I like the Pacifica idea, but I would also get a pre like the BAE, M72, with more heft for variety. Good luck, great mic!
I was actually thinking more along those lines, like a good v78m or Mercury m72s. I love my 1272, but I'm sure I can get something that'll really sound amazing for vocals. I'll keep looking...need to get rid of my Aurora first anyway...
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
I've also used the Pearlman with a Pacifica and a Chandler Germanium. For vocals, either rock or pop, it is almost always the 1073. I prefer the Pacifica for overheads, and sometimes, with amps and always with synths. I never got on with the Chandler Germ.
Gotcha...you know, I never really gelled with the germanium stuff either, but boy is the TG/EMI stuff a different ballgame to my ears!! It's a hard one...
Old 3rd May 2013
Here for the gear

Pearlman tm1 into Mercury M72s here. Absolutely love it.
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jinx View Post
Pearlman tm1 into Mercury M72s here. Absolutely love it.
That's what I'm talking about...mind taking some time to describe it? Round? Forward? Pillowy? Firm? What would I be surprised to hear that you achieve soundwise from that chain? Open?
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

I like to put the TM1 into the Groove Tubes Vipre for vocals, most of the time. it's such a versatile pre, I can dial in impedance, rise time, etc., really lets me zero in on the color I'm looking for..

I'd love to try it in a Pacifica someday, heard great things about that combo.
Old 3rd May 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
That's what I'm talking about...mind taking some time to describe it? Round? Forward? Pillowy? Firm? What would I be surprised to hear that you achieve soundwise from that chain? Open?
Its definitely round, soft. Works best when you back of the mic a little bit because its a pretty thick chain. You can get varying amounts of compression by adjusting the pad settings on the mercury and how hard you push the preamp. The chain is colored, which is what I was after, and has a depth that none of our other preamps offer on vocals (vp28s, vp26s, vintechs).

Ill also use an 1176 in the chain when needed. I use a mohog set to the brighter transformer to push the vocal more forward and add some more presence. The low end is big and round, and sometimes needs to be tamed a little with a hpf.

Hope this helps
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Awesome, hopefully things go smoothly and I can get this pairing into Ear Candy sooner than later to start enjoying. In what scenario was it that you heard the TM-1?
I heard it in many scenarios. I had one for a while when I was obsessing over the U47 sound. It was an early one with a Peluso capsule and Tamura transformer and the Telefunken steel EF14 tube. The circuit board was later upgraded by Dave.

I was on a U47 obsession binge at the time and ended up with the Pearlman, a BeesNeez Tribute and finally a Telefunken U47 with VF14 tube and Thiersch reskinned M7 Neumann capsule. I was able to compare the three.

The Pearlman sounded incredible and I would have easily sold the Tribute and kept the Pearlman if I didn't have the Telefunken U47.

Now I just have the Telefunken but that Pearlman still remains in my memory as the best bang for buck. I still use the Beatles Pop Filter on my U47.

I used it with many preamps and it sounded great. One of my favorites was an LA2A>Langevin 5116. I am a tube amp freak. But it was also stellar with my AML ez1073. I could give a list of preamps but the mic is the tool that rules in this case.
Old 4th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jinx View Post
Its definitely round, soft. Works best when you back of the mic a little bit because its a pretty thick chain. You can get varying amounts of compression by adjusting the pad settings on the mercury and how hard you push the preamp. The chain is colored, which is what I was after, and has a depth that none of our other preamps offer on vocals (vp28s, vp26s, vintechs).

Ill also use an 1176 in the chain when needed. I use a mohog set to the brighter transformer to push the vocal more forward and add some more presence. The low end is big and round, and sometimes needs to be tamed a little with a hpf.

Hope this helps
Awesome, thanks for taking time to type that up!
Old 4th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
I heard it in many scenarios. I had one for a while when I was obsessing over the U47 sound. It was an early one with a Peluso capsule and Tamura transformer and the Telefunken steel EF14 tube. The circuit board was later upgraded by Dave.

I was on a U47 obsession binge at the time and ended up with the Pearlman, a BeesNeez Tribute and finally a Telefunken U47 with VF14 tube and Thiersch reskinned M7 Neumann capsule. I was able to compare the three.

The Pearlman sounded incredible and I would have easily sold the Tribute and kept the Pearlman if I didn't have the Telefunken U47.

Now I just have the Telefunken but that Pearlman still remains in my memory as the best bang for buck. I still use the Beatles Pop Filter on my U47.

I used it with many preamps and it sounded great. One of my favorites was an LA2A>Langevin 5116. I am a tube amp freak. But it was also stellar with my AML ez1073. I could give a list of preamps but the mic is the tool that rules in this case.
That's what I keep hearing, that it holds up to the big boys!! Awesome to keep hearing that!!
Old 4th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahurts View Post
I like to put the TM1 into the Groove Tubes Vipre for vocals, most of the time. it's such a versatile pre, I can dial in impedance, rise time, etc., really lets me zero in on the color I'm looking for..

I'd love to try it in a Pacifica someday, heard great things about that combo.
I keep hearing good things about the Pacifica and the Pearlman, but on here, it's just different...although the combos I'm seeing I can't imagine would be bad at all...in fact a lot of them seem to be things I'd take more to...
Old 4th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I keep hearing good things about the Pacifica and the Pearlman, but on here, it's just different...although the combos I'm seeing I can't imagine would be bad at all...in fact a lot of them seem to be things I'd take more to...
Same here, that's why I'm watching this thread.

But you know, in this case it's the mic.. figuring out which pre to use with it is like figuring out what color you want your Ferrari painted.
Old 4th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post

About the pop filter, I have one and the thing I notice about it is it actually does very little to prevent wind blasts from P's or much of anything. My opinion is that it is just too close to the mic to be effective. It sure does look cool though.
Old 4th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
About the pop filter, I have one and the thing I notice about it is it actually does very little to prevent wind blasts from P's or much of anything. My opinion is that it is just too close to the mic to be effective. It sure does look cool though.
I always wondering about those pop filters that are parallel to the mic. I almost never have mine whether it be metal or mesh closer than 3-4 inches from the mic...and they're usually at an angle. They control S's better that way too...
Old 4th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is that the Pearlman filter? It has worked for me. Interesting.
Old 5th May 2013
Lives for gear

It works for me too.. however, I've noticed that you have to put it on the mic in just the right place, to avoid wind from the top or bottom.

Still, it's beautiful, and I don't have to have the extra stand with a pop filter, etc.
Old 5th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same here, that's why I'm watching this thread.

But you know, in this case it's the mic.. figuring out which pre to use with it is like figuring out what color you want your Ferrari painted.
I feel like I'm going to end up using it with something like a Tab v78m or something...although I think I might have found an alternative to the TM-1 for myself...
Old 5th May 2013
Lives for gear

If you pick up a tab v78 soon let me know how it works out. I just bought a Beesneez tribute 1 from another G.S.'r and I love it. So far through a Vintech 573 and a Chandler Lil devil pre. I'm want to hear it through a nice tube pre and those v78's are on sale , hmmmm.
Old 5th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid View Post
If you pick up a tab v78 soon let me know how it works out. I just bought a Beesneez tribute 1 from another G.S.'r and I love it. So far through a Vintech 573 and a Chandler Lil devil pre. I'm want to hear it through a nice tube pre and those v78's are on sale , hmmmm.
I'll be getting rid of some stuff, so hopefully sooner than later I'll be able to report back!! Know anyone that wants a Daking IV Pre?
Old 5th May 2013
Quote:
It works for me too.. however, I've noticed that you have to put it on the mic in just the right place, to avoid wind from the top or bottom.

Still, it's beautiful, and I don't have to have the extra stand with a pop filter, etc.
It is the Pearlman and yeah it looks great and it's really convenient that it mounts on the mic, but it does not work anywhere near as feel as my old pop filter system which was a Sabrasom mounted on the same mic stand. Sure I raise the mic above the singer and angle it down and still I get more explosives than I ever did with the Sabrasom filter. I think the filter is just too close to the mic to really work great, I think it needs to be further away.
Old 5th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid View Post
You might want to check out the ADL 600 or 700, the mic pre is VERY nice.
Old 6th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You might want to check out the ADL 600 or 700, the mic pre is VERY nice.
Hey Lou, might taking the time to describe the ADL please? Is it forward? How would it compare to the Tab or Mercury? What makes it so versatile in your eyes? Thanks in advance...
Old 6th May 2013
Quote:
Hey Lou, might taking the time to describe the ADL please? Is it forward? How would it compare to the Tab or Mercury? What makes it so versatile in your eyes? Thanks in advance...
I own an ADL 600, a pair of Focusrite ISA 110's, an API 3124mb, a pair of Daking 52270b's, and a Fink CS2FA, which is another tube channel, and some Amek 9098's and a CIB, and I find the ADL to be bigger sounding than the rest of my pre's, it's pretty hi fi, the bottom is big and the top is nice. I haven't had the opportunity to compare it to the Tab or the Mercury, so I can't help you there
Old 6th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I own an ADL 600, a pair of Focusrite ISA 110's, an API 3124mb, a pair of Daking 52270b's, and a Fink CS2FA, which is another tube channel, and some Amek 9098's and a CIB, and I find the ADL to be bigger sounding than the rest of my pre's, it's pretty hi fi, the bottom is big and the top is nice. I haven't had the opportunity to compare it to the Tab or the Mercury, so I can't help you there
I know the sound of everything else you pointed out, my favorite being the ISA110's...but I'm surprised to hear you feel the ADL sounds 'bigger' than the Fink??
Old 6th May 2013
Lives for gear

I love my Pearlman TM-1 (german tube, early black bodied one) into my Manley VoxBox, stellar combination. However for a Transistor vibe that mic sounds fantastic with the Realios / Helios 500 micpre tethered.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search