The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Problem with Stereo DI on DRS-2
Old 7th June 2006
Problem with Stereo DI on DRS-2

Hey,

I have a Phoenix Audio DRS-2 and it sounds awesome, except for one thing...

Whenever I plug in a stereo source (Specifically a POD XT or ALESIS QS8.1 using regular 1/4" TS cables) into the DIs I get this nasty hum. If I pull out ONE of the cables the humming goes away. I've tried the ground lift feature on both channels and that didn't work. I've also plugged the source into a RADIAL PRO D2 (a stereo DI) which fed the DRS-2 Mic Input and the humming went away.

Also, if I plug in two Mono sources there isn't any hum.

I'm not really sure why this happens. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? It would be great to know. It's a little frustrating, but I do have ways around it.
Old 7th June 2006
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Hi,

Out of many hundreds of units sold, this is the first time we've noted this issue...

Please drop me an email and I'll be right on the case when the office is back in tomorrow (it's now 10.28pm here)

Best regards,
Justin

edit: BTW, it's definitely a ground loop issue. I know this isn't the world's most satisfactory solution, but if you were to cut the ground on one of the cables (let it get its ground from just one of the stereo pair) and make sure to keep this cable for one side when tracking in stereo, I'm 99.99% sure the issue wouldn't be there.
Old 7th June 2006
Justin thanks for the quick reply and I sent you the email.

swordinhand

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search