The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Chameleon Labs 7602 vs. Chandler Germanium
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Chameleon Labs 7602 vs. Chandler Germanium

Hey......

Just curious if anyone has both and can compare them. I mainly do rock music, and I need a good all in one pre. I'll be getting an API lunch box eventually, but I am looking for more of a big fat Neve tone right now.

Thanks.
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

I think this tread had a pictures from inside the units comparing them. Does anybody deleted the pictures? I acn't find them anymore...
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear
Let me start off by saying I've never heard the 7602, so I guess there's no point in reading the rest of this message. Anyway, I HAVE had a Germanium, and while I think it's a great pre, I don't think of it as being like a Neve. It's pretty dirty, and can get dirtier. Not something I would particularly cherish on vocals - although it might be great on rock vocals. I would save a little more money and grab a second hand TG2 or TG Channel. Or Pacifica...or a Great River ME-1NV. Fabulous pre. I wish Chandler made a single channel TG pre around the $1000 mark...
Old 27th March 2007
Jai guru deva om

The Chameleon pre on its own I would not describe as "big, fat". It's actually pretty cleanish, and can be driven somewhat by cranking the input and turning down the output. Of course that EQ is another story...it can add some big fat if you want it...probably more big fat than switching preamps could offer in any scenario.

That EQ freakin' rocks. It will deliver the fat.

War
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

I upgraded the input transformer in my 7602 and it got a bit nicer across the board as far as the preamp is concerned. The Pacifica can be pretty thick with the pad engaged.

"Big fat Neve tone" aside, I think the Pacifica would be my recommendation for best all around preamp that would shine on a variety of sources for any style of music.

Brad
Old 28th March 2007
Lives for gear

7602 = Neve "light". It's similar... you can tell it's from that Heritage... but it's not on teh same level as anything Chandler

Germanium = Definitely from the old Neve Germanium family... but with some amazing modern "twists". This pre does sound HUGE.. but not in the exact same way a 1073 type pre does. It certainly can do a "distorted" thing... but I use it most in cleaner setting and it is just amazing for all sorts of thing... bass, electric guitar, overheads... etc...

Of the two... the Chandler SCREAMS authenticty and high end no matter what you put it up against... the 7602 falls short of many of the better 1073 types... (Chandler, BAE, Vintech, Great River, etc..). The best "cheap" 1073 type pre is the vintech in my book. It's VERY convincing and easier on the pocket book.
Old 28th March 2007
Lives for gear

I ended up getting the 7602...I love it. I need something to compliment it now.....would an API do the trick now, or a germanium?
Old 28th March 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
I ended up getting the 7602...I love it. I need something to compliment it now.....would an API do the trick now, or a germanium?
API next, then the Germ!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search