The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your favorite drum mics are........... Condenser Microphones
Old 9th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Yer gonna think I'm nuts....

Kick- Shure Beta 52...pointed DOWN in the drum...too pointy otherwise, for me.

Snare- SM 57 top & bottom. I rarely use a bottom mic...

Toms- 421's....forever. I don't dig condensers on toms. I'm old, though...

Overheads..... my secret weapon... T.H.E Binaural sphere. You get the whole kit! Glyn would be proud! I put it just above the drummer's head. I also like AT 4050's when I need more cymbals. Or a Royer stereo ribbon.

Room- RCA 77DX...in mono.

This works for me...in my room.

The room is 21X22 w/ 16' vaulted ceilings and wood floor w/ a big assed 8X11 rug dead center.

Guido
Old 9th July 2006
Gear Nut

I love tracking drums. My default mic'ing is (if it has to be done quick) is:
Kick in-D112
Kick out-Subkick
Snare Top/Bottom- 57
Hat- (old) 451
Toms- ATM25 (placement is the key)
OH- 4011s
Room- SF-12

If more time, than I can change out as we work through the set-up. Of course I match these with various pres that I like. I keep 4 different kits ready to go with about 12 snares. A lot of drummers want to use my kits once they see or hear them. Sometimes they want to use their own, so it takes a little longer for the set-up then. I've had success with one SF-12 overhead and a kick mic all the way up to my basic set up adding 414's on tom bottoms. Recently I used three room mics (Coles, Earthworks and PZM) with good results. Just worked on the right combination of mics and compression to get what I wanted. It's the drummer, though.

David Brown
Old 9th July 2006
Gear Head

Musical style is Funk/Punk/Hip Hop/Rock/Elephino.

Kick, batter head: Sennheiser MD 504
Kick, resonant head: Subkick
Snare: SM57
Rack tom: Audix D2
Floor tom: ATM25
Overheads: KM184 (but looking at AT, Josephson, and Peluso)

I've tried the i5, 504, D2, PR40, and pretty much every other mic I own, but the 57 keeps winning on snare.
Old 9th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Room/overheads (paired): Neumann Gefell CMV563's w/M55k omni capsules, Neumann U67's, Custom built Binaural Head w/powered AT pencil point capsules, Shure SM81's, Shure SM90's, RCA 44BX's, and/or Neumann KM184's.

Toms: Sennheiser MD504's, Sennheiser e609's (black grill), Audio Technica ATM23HE's, Audio Technica c-87mkII (floor tom) Shure SM7 (floor tom), and/or sometimes Neumann KM184's (for less agressive players).

Snare: lately I've been using a transformerless SM57 on top and a BLUE Blueberry on the side. Sometimes a Shure Beta56 on top and a Sennheiser MD504 on the bottom.

Kick: AKG D112, Shure SM90, EV RE20, Shure SM7, Shure SM58, RCA 74b, and/or Neumann U47fet.

-- Adam Lazlo
Old 9th July 2006
Lives for gear

Kick: D112 in, U47FET out (with pop filter to protect capsule)
Snare Top: SM57 Snare bottom: KM54
Toms: C12A (ungodly proximity effect), or 421s
Overheads: 3 C12s over the drummers head
Far Overheads: 2 M50s

G

Old 9th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Snare: AKG 418's top/bottom (mixed in for presence), ifet 7 top > Flamingo

Hats: SM81 > MP2NV (Imp. IN)

Kick: D112 > MP2NV (Imp. IN), U195 (Fat Out) > Flamingo (Fat in)

Overheads: (Front) DPA 4006 > Neve 5012, (Back) Royer SF12 > Neve 5012

Toms: AKG 418's top/bottom (presence), Telefunken AK47 > DW Fearn VT1, Phantom AE > GML 2020
Old 9th July 2006
Lives for gear

Originally Posted by Nerdyrocker
Im glad to know I am not the only one micing crotches around here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
Are we talking "butt mic" here? I'm familiar with butt mic'ing, placing a dynamic mic off the drummer's right butt cheek to sort of pick up the growl of the kit but...

crotch mic?

Not a Michael Jackson circa 1984 thing is it?

War
Around the back works well too, especialy if it is going to be sacraficed/prosecces for a driven sound, but what i've been trying here lately is literaly crotch
, somewhere in the center of the kit, ethier tward player at inside rim of the kick, OR off axis from under snare at players crotch(no undersnare in this example) but it really give a nice center thwap! and crack! - also when blending the rooms(in mix) im dialing in the phase of the crotch mic(ibp. Jr.- the placement of this mic is critical to tone, but damn near imposible to get in phase naturaly) to the stereo rooms(they - the rooms and the crotch gotta be pointing in the same direction i.e. twards drummers perspective)

In most instances it has been giving me killer snare sound and great space beetween the snare rooms and kick - I am loing it with the e609 but have also done it with the audix d-6, with simaler, less adjustable (interms of phase adjustability) results

with rear rooms the same technique works with the behind the drummers ass "reacharound" technique, as we refer to it

p.s. - we do mosty filthy rock music, but this method also works unbeleivablely in down-tempo compositions s
Old 17th July 2006
Gear Nut

coles rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
My ideal drum sound is one 4038.
I love your way of thinking!!!

I recently saw ethan johns' studio drum micing set up and there was one 4038 flat out over the kit. there was other 'sparse' micing on the kit, but the one over head in it's position, still has me intrigued! i'm gonna mess with that idea next. Good stuff!

Rock on!
Rolff
Old 17th July 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard
Lately I've been doing this:

Kick In - Audix D6/Sennheiser 421
Kick Out - Violet The Globe/Yamaha Subkick
Snare Top - Sennheiser MD441
Snare Bottom - Sennheiser e609
Rack Tom 1 - Heil Sound PR30
Rack Rom 2 - Heil Sound PR30
Floor Tom 1 - MD421
Floor Tom 2 - D112
Hi Hat - 451
Ride - 451
OH L - Innertube Audio 450 Tube w/Blue B6 Capsule
OH R - Innertube Audio 450 Tube w/Blue B6 Capsule
Room L - Gefell UM900
Room R - Gefell UM900
Mono Room - Royer R121
OVERKILL!!!!
Think of the drumset as an instrument!
Rock on!
Old 17th July 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
Overheads -Coles 4038s (tried tested and flat out awesome)

Snare - Top and Bottom, Josephson e22s.... I don't care to ever hear anything else again on snare

Room - Elam 251s or Innertube Mag Mics.... but if those are too $$cy, 414s will do great

Kick - 421 on the Beater side, D25 on the outside head

Toms - Josephson e22s top and bottom

Hat - Royer R121 is magical

Tuning and playing is more important than all of that tho
Once again...Overkill!!!

Although, I totally believe the E22 mics are some of the coolest 'close' drum mics around today.

Just wait to see the new Josephson 'C700' multi diaphragm mic. This is a force with which to be reckoned. Not certain if it's in the drum mic realm but we'll see. It's really versatile. Incredible 2) figure 8 and 1) omni capsule in one mic! These guys are freakin genious! Awesome!

I have access to one and will soon be listening to it.

Rock on!

Rolff
Old 17th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Kick in = Fet47
Kick out=Fet 47
Snare Top=56
Snare Bottom= 56 or km84 or 451
Toms=421
Floor Tom=RE 20
Hats=sm81
OH=451's, the only choice
Rooms= U87 or 414's, or 67's, or...........C12a(it is too expensive to use close to the drums)

Mics will get you nowhere without a well tuned kit played by a compentent drummer though
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolff
Once again...Overkill!!!

Although, I totally believe the E22 mics are some of the coolest 'close' drum mics around today.

Just wait to see the new Josephson 'C700' multi diaphragm mic. This is a force with which to be reckoned. Not certain if it's in the drum mic realm but we'll see. It's really versatile. Incredible 2) figure 8 and 1) omni capsule in one mic! These guys are freakin genious! Awesome!

I have access to one and will soon be listening to it.

Rock on!

Rolff

We just tracked some drums with that configuration last week. Levels up, it sounds like a record (minus room for a little mix buss compression). Big, clear and lots of dimension. Clients are very happy.
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320 P.
Mics will get you nowhere without a well tuned kit played by a compentent drummer though
Hell when my kit is tuned, sometime I'm tricked into thinking I'm a drummer.heh

Kick-in D112
Kick-out Harmon Kardon 6" speaker
Snare1(14") SM57(Top only)
Snare2(13") SM57(Top only)
Toms 1-2 U87 or e604
Toms 3-4 U87 (including floor) or e604
OH KM184
Hats SM81 if needed
Room Wagner U47
Old 17th July 2006
Gear Addict

Old sonor kit here (late 50´s, great sound).

kick in: EV N/D868
kick out: Line Audio SM3 (swedish made, very flat response)
snare top: 57/D2/line audio CM2 (condenser), have to try the i5 and some EVmics.
snare bottom: CM2/other condensers
snare shell: C 535 EB/CM2
toms: D2 on rack, D4 on floor (not too close!)
hihat: AKG C 535 EB
OH: røde NT5s, AB. (looking at others for tighter mids).
room: røde NT2-A
Old 17th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT
Any of you guys try top and bottom micing toms?

I've become a fan of that. A couple of advantages. First, the bottom mic (phase flipped, of course) yields a phatness that I've never gotten from a top mic. Like a cannon going off. Stick attack from the top mic plus depth and tone from the bottom = snappy + punchy + beefy toms.

Secondly, whatever percentage of the tom's SPL that comes through the bottom mic is well isolated, as compared to the top mic. It lowers cymbal bleed, etc by a corresponding percentage.

Third, much like micing a guitar cab with 2 mics, you can achieve major amounts of tone variation by the blend of the mics, with little to no EQ.

I like a dynamic on top, like a 421 and a large diaphram condenser on the bottom, padded of course. I've actually had good success from 414s, which is cool since I find little use for them these days, otherwise.

If you've never tried it and you have the mics and pres, give it a go. I think you'll be surprised.
I've been doing this for a while, recently I picked up some little labs IBP's which make it much nicer. This aproach of multi miking has the same result on just about all the drums. For me its
Kick in Audix D6
Kick Out U195
Snare top AKG 460
Snare side Earthworks SR77
Hat Earthworks SR77
Toms 421 top 414TL II Bottom
Overheads KM184's
Room 2247's
I finally found something I really like an akg 460 on. I'm not a fan of micing the bottom of the snare, rather I approach the snare as if the top mic is micing the shell
but just poking over the top of the rim, you get way less head and a nice detailed snare sound , I add the side for more top, it's so much nicer than under the snare.
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Lou,

I'm really curious to hear more about that AKG 460 on snare. How would you describe the sound you are getting compared to that from an SM57 or Audix i5? Do you happen to have any sound clips you could send me?

thanks,
Brad
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
OVERKILL!!!!
Think of the drumset as an instrument!
Rock on!
I do think of it as an instrument, an instrument of multiple components. I disagree my setup is overkill, here in L.A. setups like this are very, very common. My setup is about average compared to other sessions I've been on at some places around here... Cello, NRG, etc..
Old 18th July 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
(EDITED)

Rolff
Hi Rolff -

Is the Josephson a "stereo" mic? Seems like it could be ideal for MS if both capsules are active at the same time?

See you in October for more Hiromi work! We've gotta talk before then!
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Last time I miced drums, overhead I used an AEA 84 in an M/S arrangement with a 414 TLMII. D112 just outside the kick hole and 57 on snare and I was good to go.

-R
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBishopSFX
Hi Rolff -

Is the Josephson a "stereo" mic? Seems like it could be ideal for MS if both capsules are active at the same time?
There are two versions of the C700. Taken from the 7 series pdf:

The C700A includes two capsules in one housing, a 16mm omni element similar to the KA11 capsule in the Series Six, and a 26mm figure-8 capsule. Completely neutral electronics, using the same cascode FET input, class-A active balanced output circuit found in the Series Six, are provided for each signal. Any directional pattern from omni to figure-8 may be selected by controlling the ratio of pressure to gradient signals.

The C700S microphone has three capsules; an additional side-facing figure-8 capsule is added to the two in the C700A. Any coincident stereo pickup can be derived from mixing these three signals together, and like the C700A, the signals can be recorded individually and all aspects of image width and pattern control may be adjusted in the mixdown. With the three capsule signals, any number of microphone outputs may be created, each one pointed anywhere in the plane around the microphone.

Cheers,

bdp
Old 19th July 2006
Gear Head

Kick in: D112
Kick out: Korby Fet or other Fet
Snare: SM57, Josephson C42 (Taped to top of SM57) no bottom mic
Toms: 421's
OV: Usually 4038's or R122's
Hats: any small condenser if needed at all (usually 451)

Center: R84 Ribbon (crushed, behind drummer, aimed at drummers back blocking hh)
Room: Sony c 536p's or 160's...When availible, 2 Korby's with C12 capsules.
Old 19th July 2006
Gear Nut

Word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
My ideal drum sound is one 4038.
I just used one today > Chandler TG Channel with a little [email protected] and a dash of sizzle @16k > Distressor 10:1 opto medium fast attack and release to taste about
4 feet on front of t
he kit. . . and MAN.
As "Borat" would say, "Wawaweewah!"
Old 19th July 2006
Gear Nut

Def. gotta go with the speaker on the outside of the kick. That has added so much life to my kick sound. And its cheap to make!! That's the best part!

D-
Old 19th July 2006
Gear Maniac

OH : Schoeps CMC6/MK4 pair in XY

Kick : RE20, MD421

As I record mainly live Jazz, that's all.

If really needed (for some rock's stuff), I add 441s on toms and 414 on snare's top.
Old 19th July 2006
dbf

D6-Inside Kick
Yamaha Sub Kick-Outside kick
609-Sn Top
beta57-Sn Under
KMS105-Hat
sm57-toms
D112-Floor tom
c414-Over Head
NT2-Room

this is my set !!!
cheers
Old 20th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan
Hey Lou,

I'm really curious to hear more about that AKG 460 on snare. How would you describe the sound you are getting compared to that from an SM57 or Audix i5? Do you happen to have any sound clips you could send me?

thanks,
Brad
Wierd, I replied to this a few days ago, but the post isn't here. What I like about the 460 is it sounds bigger and like a clearer representation of the drum than what I was using before which was a beyer 201. I havent used a 57 on a snare in a real long time, since
I started using the 201, which to me sounds way better and has better rejection. The snare side mic has been something I've been changing. The earthworks SR77 worked nicely on the last few drum sessions.
Old 20th July 2006
Gear Nut

>crotch mic
Not a Michael Jackson circa 1984 thing is it?<

So that's what he was doing, adjusting his mic...heh

What's up BT, hey man, the guru is supposed to tell us what mics to use, not the other way around. :-)

We've been getting good results lately with:
Kick In: Beta 52/Audix D6
Kick out: Coles 4038 or sometimes a MXL V77
Snare: still a 57/sometimes 441/ or just a 414
Toms: I actually love the cheap oktavia 012's split between toms/with 421's on the toms except
low tom: an audix D6 or Beta 52.
The 012's pick up all the cymbals i need so that doubles as overheads.
Then sometimes a room mic or two: either a ribbon or a couple tube mics, i also really like PZM mics for room sound.

hey man, hope life is treating you great,
michael bliss
Old 21st July 2006
Kick in= Shure SM91
Kick out= RE20
Snare top= Beyer 201 with SM98 taped to it
Snare bottom= Shure KSM141
Toms= Oktava MC012's top and bottom with hyper caps
Overheads= Peluso CEMC6 matched pair
Hat- Beyer M160
Rooms= AKG 451's
Old 21st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Kik In = AKG D112
Kik Out = Neumann U47fet or Dynaudio Sub Kik Speaker
Snare Top = Shure SM57
Snare Btm = Sennheiser 441 or Shure Beta 56
Hat = Neumann KM185 or Shure 81
Toms = Sennheiser 421 or AT 25
Ovr Hds = AKG 414
Ride = Neumann KM185 or Royer 121
Room = Neumann U67, SounDeluxe E47, Royer 121, 122, Earthworks TC30

www.bluethumbproductions.com
OK- there's my list except:

Samson QKick (don't even start... but It can sound SO good you wouldn't believe some of the people I've had say 'great kick sound' with one of them replacing the 112. Poor build but who cares when they cos £30 to replace!)

Ball and biscuit in the room.
Old 21st July 2006
Gear Maniac

Kick in - Electro Voice 868 N/D, RE-20 (sometimes in the pedal target)
Kick out - Neumann CMV 563 w/ M7 cap
Snare top - SM 57, C-48, AKG 480
Snare bottom - MD 441
Toms - Senheiser MD 421s (vintage white ones)
Floor Tom - RE-20
Hi-Hat - AKG 451eb or AKG 480
OH - Neumann U87s, Sony C-48s
Room mic - AKG 414 eb w/ CK 12, Royer 121, CMV 563 w/ M55 cap

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search