The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Axiom (digital) or 4000 series? DAW Software
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

SSL Axiom (digital) or 4000 series?

Hi guys,

I have a dilemma, what would you rather use: an SSL Axiom digital console or a 4000 analogie series? THose who have used both, what sounds the best?

Thanks
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

If you do a little search about the axiom you'll find that no one wants to use it for anything other than a boat anchor. The 4000 has had more hits mixed on it than all other consoles combined, and while it has some faults, it's a sweet sounding machine.
-brian
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

...but i see you already have a 4000 so you know.
-brian
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

I've worked on an Axiom MT for a while...Last 4 years on 4000 only. I know of a few Axioms that are 'floating' around, waiting to be bought. And even though they're all going for appealingly low prices, I wouldn't buy them...
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

4k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpatural
If you do a little search about the axiom you'll find that no one wants to use it for anything other than a boat anchor. The 4000 has had more hits mixed on it than all other consoles combined, and while it has some faults, it's a sweet sounding machine.
-brian
I did a little search and find nothing negative about them.
Honestly, I am indeed a bit reluctant to sell my 6000 series (the 4000 was sold beginning of this year).

I'm happy with the 6000 but the Axiom has so much automation features, 96 digital IO, 48 analog IO, 36 Mic Pres, and its fairly new, from 1999!

And i've been working on it and must say it didn't sound bad at all!

Eventually, I'd like to have a 9000J some day..

Can you help me find negative articles about the Axiom?

Thanks
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alamo
I've worked on an Axiom MT for a while...Last 4 years on 4000 only. I know of a few Axioms that are 'floating' around, waiting to be bought. And even though they're all going for appealingly low prices, I wouldn't buy them...

What was your impression towards the sound of the axiom?

THanks
Regards
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

The resale value of a 4k will stay significantly higher than the Axiom's.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence_o
What was your impression towards the sound of the axiom?

THanks
Regards
It's about 5 years ago when I worked on the Axiom (MT though)...I didn't like it for a number of reasons, one being the sound: I was still fairly new at both the Axiom and the 4k, but yet, I didn't like the axiom from the start: too bland when not pushed hard enough, too harsh when pushed hard, and I quite frankly disliked the eq's quite a lot. Same for the comps. So, soundwise, I quickly moved towards 4k's. Of course the console has a lot of plusses too: 48 busses, bay swapping, more aux sends...So, I'm happy not having to work on one of those any longer, but as always...I'm not you...All the best
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence_o
I did a little search and find nothing negative about them.
well, here's some. Had installed an Axiom a while back and the room opened in January. and the replacement 9J was ordered soon after, delivered and installed by June of the same year.
I will note that this was the first axiom w/ the Nacho Grande, errr Rio Grande, so maybe they fixed all the problems soon after, but it wasn't reliable enough at the time
Old 20th November 2006
Here for the gear

YES go for the AXIOM

AXIOM AND AXIOM MT USERS WORLDWIDE: 8:26 15/11/2006
------------------------------------------------------------------

StarCity Recording Purchases SSL Axiom MT

Jun 2, 2006 4:56 PM

StarCity Recording Company in Bethlehem, Pa.,
expanded its facility with a custom-designed SSL Axiom MT digital multitrack console.
The MT is designed specifically for multitrack recording, overdub and mixing applications.

Glixman traveled to Europe to “test drive” the AXIOM, previously owned by producer Mutt Lange,
who used the console to record Shania Twain’s recent double-album. “The EQ sounds incredible,
the compressors do everything I want them to do and the flexibility
of this desk is just amazing,” Glixman enthuses. “I’m knocked out with the sound of it.”
For more information, visit www.solid-state-logic.com and www.starcityrecording.com.

Solid State Logic Features Axiom-MT Digital Multi-Track Console at AES

SSL’s attention to the needs of today’s top engineers, such as Chuck Ainlay,
Derek Bason, Bob Bullock, Dana Jon Chappelle, Humberto Gatica, Dan Gellert,
Eddie Kramer, Justin Niebank and Bruce Swedien have made the MT the digital console
of choice for sonic clarity, system flexibility and reliability. At the AES,
the best is now even better with significant hardware and software enhancements,
responding to the requests of the industry.

More than 40 Axiom-MTs have been sold worldwide, including Skip Saylor Recording
in Los Angeles, Kampo Recording, Quad and Avatar in New York,
Backstage Studio at Soundstage in Nashville, Mega Studios and Blue Sound in Paris,
and MG Sound in Vienna. The Axiom-MT has also been installed in four trucks:
Sheffield Remote Recordings in Phoenix, MD, Manor Mobile in the UK, and Le Voyageur
and Euromedia in Paris.

For more information, visit their web site at www.solid-state-logic.com.

FILENAME: /var/www/im0/htdocs/109AES/Content/SSL/PR/XML/Axiom-MT

Part of that revamp involved contracting John Storyk to design Studio C,
to get the job done right, Abrash says. The control room saw the early '99 installation
of an SSL Axiom digital console, a move Abrash admits was a calculated gamble but has
since paid off. I wanted to put something that was going to not only be current, but was
also going to be future-ready as well, he says. We've had 100 percent success with the Axiom.
Our installation went off without a hitch, and we've had nothing but positive feedback from
the engineers who have sessioned on the board, including Bruce Swedien,
Eddie Kramer and Ray Bardini.

Unlike many of the digital boards out there, the Axiom is very user-friendly, Abrash continues,
especially because it so closely resembles the hugely successful J Series console.
That was a significant factor. I knew I wanted to go digital and provide
the best possible fidelity for mixing projects off of Pro Tools and other
high-quality source machines.

After installing the 96-input Axiom into the same space where he previously had a 40-input SSL E Series,
Abrash began to market Kampo's surround capabilities. Studio C is very unique in New York,
because it's a surround-ready room. There's nothing you've got to plug in or patch or anything.
I've got everything from the monitor systems to the mixdown machine [Tascam DA-78, 24-bit 8-track].
One of the more exciting projects to make use of the 5.1 capabilities was the remixing of Jimi Hendrix's
Isle of Wight performance for DVD. Eddie Kramer did some amazing things manipulating those old tapes
to provide a rich, real-sounding concert experience. It was a thrill to witness him pull out that
classic Hendrix sound, the Eddie Kramer sound.

“We were aware of SSL’s audio quality because Ubisoft’s Canadian sound studio,
based in Montreal, is running an Axiom MT and we were previously mixing in top class SSL facilities
such as Guillaume Tell and Mega Studio in Paris.” says Vernimmen. “When we started looking at consoles,
our choice criteria included stunning sound quality, 5.1 capability in both
music and sync-to-picture sessions, extremely user friendly interface and design,
an ability to deal with our hectic multiple-projects-in-a-day production rhythm and
great after-sales support. It seemed to us that the Axiom mixing console fitted all our criteria and
therefore offered the best solution for our needs.”

Dutasta adds: “We are really pleased with our new console. LudiFactory’s aim is to give the video games market the best sound experience possible and the SSL Axiom is fully part of that goal. It doesn’t sound ‘digital’; it sounds amazing, and we are very reassured by SSL’s reputation for quality after-sales support.”

LudiFactory is currently working on Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon-Advanced Warfighter™. Other recent projects have included Ubisoft’s Cold Fear™, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon-2™, Rayman™ brand games and a number of E3 trailers

Caption
Lives for gear

I would speculate that the Axioms are plummeting in value because they are digital consoles and are fixed at 48k outputs. Regardless of how highend the converters are they are old digital technology.

Highend analog never goes out of style and it keeps going up in value too!
Old 20th November 2006
Lives for gear

I think we should ask Ship how much mixing was done on that Axiom from Mutt Lange. Somehow I got the feeling it wasn't used THAAAAAAt much

Jo
Old 21st November 2006
Gear Maniac

Put an Axiom in your room and it WILL be MT.

Ron Allaire, Skyline
Old 21st November 2006
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
The resale value of a 4k will stay significantly higher than the Axiom's.
The big complaint when those consoles came out was how terrible they sounded. The pres were crap, etc. I never would have thought in a 1k years people would seek them out.

Just because they were on a bunch of records means nothing to me. It was the latest, greatest thing then. It was the buzzword. There are more ProTools DAWs out there than all other combined, but I don't want one of those anymore. I don't understand it.
Old 22nd November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
The big complaint when those consoles came out was how terrible they sounded. The pres were crap, etc. I never would have thought in a 1k years people would seek them out.

Just because they were on a bunch of records means nothing to me. It was the latest, greatest thing then. It was the buzzword. There are more ProTools DAWs out there than all other combined, but I don't want one of those anymore. I don't understand it.
Anyone who can't make a good sounding record on a good 4000 is a crappy enigeer, it's that simple.

The pre's are crap? Have Focusrite Red series too. In the mix, I don't here a damn difference between the SSL pre and the focusrite. The Pre's are just fine, it's not them if it doesn't sound right.
Old 22nd November 2006
Lives for gear

Threads like these are funny. I wonder how many people have actually used both? I have and do all the time. How many people slag the Axiom and then will say how great the Duende plugs are? The MT+ has all the best SSL emulations (G/E eq selectable per channel, 4000 mixbuss comp for master fader etc), pretty nice sounding clean pres, delay compensation when in mix mode, and very good A/D IMO. It doesn't sound like a 4000 of course but definitely worthy of the SSL name.
Old 22nd November 2006
Lives for gear

Why not look into the new Duality? It has some features to simulate the 4K sound, and lots of digital features.

Just a thought.

BTW, I'm confused. If you have a 6K, why would you buy a 4K? If your selling the 6K and debating between the Axiom and 4K, why not just buy a 9J like you want? They're not that expensive these days.
Old 1st February 2018
Gear Maniac
12 years later i'm reading this thread and wondering what you ended up getting...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search