The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Decent AES I/O expansion for ULN-8 Digital Converters
Old 30th May 2012
Lives for gear
Decent AES I/O expansion for ULN-8

Hey All,

Loving my ULN-8 and 8 inputs gets me by 98% of the time. But every once in a while I want a few more channels (think toms, percussion, etc..). Don't need the greatest conversion but the ULN-8 only takes AES/EBU for its digital inputs.

Can't seem to find a sub $1500 answer for this and for the amount of use it will get I only wish I could make the Behringer ADA8000 work (I feel dirty even saying it)........ Currently have an old Focusrite 428 hooked up but really would like to sell that one (I have other pres that are more exciting at this time)

So, any more like $500 solution... used is fine.......

All I found was
Aurora 8
RME ADI-QS (yikes!)
and a weird AJA ADA4 (right price for 4 channels but who knows anything about this one)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...to_Analog.html

Thanks!
-Lee
Old 31st May 2012
Lives for gear

What about an Apogee Rosetta 800? Doesn't that have AES? If you only needed AD, I think the AD16X would work also.
Old 31st May 2012
Gear Maniac

mackie 800r worked for me for toms and other non-essentials
Old 31st May 2012
Lives for gear

Presonus Digimax 48K here. Works fine. The 96k version is easily had for your budget.
Old 31st May 2012
Lives for gear
Apogee stuff is great but pricey
Presonus is all ADAT outputs as far as I can tell
Mackie 800r..... now that will work! Now I have to find one.......
For 2 channels there is also a Behringer SRC2496 -- $170 new......

THANKS!
Old 31st May 2012
Lives for gear

Audient ASP008. 8 fast preamps with good A/D conversion built in. It's got both ADAT, AES/EBU and Analog outputs, which makes it usable when you want to split your signal to FOH or other stuff.
Old 31st May 2012
Well there is also the lucid ada8824 which is an 8 channel ad da converter with aes and adat also they go fairly cheap used and they are great, as a matter of fact im selling one, send me a message in you are interested.
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
Apogee stuff is great but pricey
Presonus is all ADAT outputs as far as I can tell
Mackie 800r..... now that will work! Now I have to find one.......
For 2 channels there is also a Behringer SRC2496 -- $170 new......

THANKS!
I just saw an AD16X go for $1500. I'm assuming a used Rosetta 800 can be had for around $1200 these days. Why hook up a Behringer to a ULN8?
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Regarding the Presonus, this is incorrect. The old (i.e. made in the US, good) Digimax 48 and 96ks have AES output. I use one with a ULN-8 which I picked up used for $400 or so.
Old 2nd June 2012
Lives for gear
Thanks Syntax for clearing that up........

So two days ago I decided to keep my ISA428 with digital card (just got the digital card a few months ago).......
Got everything working and casually touched the back of the 428..... to my surprise I would say the case is at about 80degreesC !!! Being an electronics guy I investigated. Although the pre works perfectly there is a serious heat problem with this design. So off to ebay she goes.........

From the input here I think I will be hunting for a combined pre/converter unit--
either -- Presonus digimax, the Mackie 800r or the audient..........

Still welcome other ideas but this is it so far.........

Thanks all!!
Old 2nd December 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
Regarding the Presonus, this is incorrect. The old (i.e. made in the US, good) Digimax 48 and 96ks have AES output. I use one with a ULN-8 which I picked up used for $400 or so.
Hi, how do you tell if the unit is made in the US? Also, can you please clarify the connection with the ULN8 DB25 connector and the Digimaxes?

Sorry if that's a bonehead question, I'm still getting my head around the AES/EBU stereo channel protocol vs. the ULN8 "8 channels AES digital I/O on DB25 / Single wire mode for full 8 channels at 44.1-192KHz operation" definition.

Thanks!
Old 2nd December 2012
Here for the gear

<DELETED BY MODERATOR> I found the dsub/aes connector and assume only USA made units had dsub.
Old 2nd December 2012
The network sound mamba.
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear
My Digimax (original 48kHz) uses the presonus AES cable and simply goes DB25 on ULN8 to DB9 (I think) on the presonus. Works fine.
Old 3rd December 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
My buddy just picked one up for $350. This thing really flies under the radar.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search