The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Barefoot MM27's and Shadow Hills GAMA 8 listening party in Houston Area?
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Addict

Barefoot MM27's and Shadow Hills GAMA 8 listening party in Houston Area?

Hey everybody,

I'm a proud owner of a Shadow Hills GAMA 8 w/St.Ives and will have a pair of Barefoot MM27's coming in by the weekend.

Would anyone here in the Houston area like to get together for a listening party? Since we missed the listening party in L.A. I thought maybe we could have one here.

My new studio is not finished yet and would prefer to test these products in a good control room/listening environment.

If you are interested let me know. Also if you would like to host the listening party at your studio I could bring the GAMA and the MM27's with me. I'll also bring my JBL LSR28p's for a/b'ing.

Let me know!

Thanks,

Kyle
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

I live nowhere near houston but if you guys do get a chance please try comparing the MM's to a monitor set WITH a sub, I would be very curious to hear about that comparison.

Good luck with the test and your new studio, cheers.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Addict

We'll do our best!
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

True North, here is a post from someone who can compare the MM27s to a monitor with a sub. Perhaps you could PM them and ask them specific questions?

I understand your concerns. We received our MM27s a month ago. We all gathered around and cranked them up. With a MASTERED rock cd, at a loud volume, they sounded bright. However, as we started working with them in normal situations (normal volumes), we realized that what they are giving us is just the TRUTH. Seriously, these things are indispensible. I mixed a dense rock track the other day with a lot of tracks, that was recorded all digitally. Even with our 192/ Rosetta 800 convertors (w/ Big Ben clock) we still have had difficulty with buildup in that 2-8k region when mixing songs with a lot of tracks.

That was with our Ns-10, Genelec 1031a/ 1094 sub setup. NOW, with the Barefoots we hear it all so clearly that we make better mix decisions and turn out better mixes -- hands down. These dont hype anything -- they do make obvious the recent trend on harsh sounding rock records. I spend half of my time mastering (in our other room with B&Ws etc...) and I can say that the mixes done on the Barefoots are really EASY to master.

Tetness
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Addict

Come on Houston! Where are ya? I'm probably shouting in the desert here.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I would be interested in hearing the monitors and the gama8. Not sure if my room would be big enough for a serious test though.
I use Genelec 1030s and a 1092 sub.
contact me through my website.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Addict

Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

How about we do one in Austin, I know there's alot of Slutz in the Austin area...
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

I'm in if we do it in Austin. Would save me the airfare to Cali, which I considered to demo these.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Addict

VK is letting me demo these only for a few days so it would most likely have to happen late this weekend or early next week. I actually live 50 miles east of Houston so Austin would be a little too far for me to travel. My schedule is pretty tight for the next few weeks.

If we could find a moderate sized control room in Houston maybe we could meet there. I would also love to see if anybody had S3A's w/Sub that would be willing to drive into the Houston area from Austin.
Old 7th June 2006
T9c
Gear Maniac

Sorry, I'm all booked up for this weekend and I wouldn't call my little ol control room a good place to do a serious listening. It's only 11x12ft.

[edit] Do you know Dan at Sugar Hill? Nice guy, maybe he could work you in?
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Head

I am a native Houstonian, living in exile, in Shadow Hills. I have a couple of good friends, who own top notch studios in Houston. I'll make some calls.
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Hills
I am a native Houstonian, living in exile, in Shadow Hills. I have a couple of good friends, who own top notch studios in Houston. I'll make some calls.
Hey that would be great Peter, thanks!

It looks like I may postpone it for one week so we can get more people on board.

I'll keep everyone posted on what we come up with.

Thanks again!
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Addict

Old 19th June 2006
Gear Addict

UPDATE:

I'm still waiting on the Barefoots to come in. As soon as I recieve them I'll give you guys a heads up.

Kyle
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Addict

I'm in the Houston area and would be down this week! Might know a place to do it if you're still looking for a location.
Old 9th July 2006
Lives for gear

I am in H-Town also, and can bring my Shadow Hills Mono Gama, with a couple other 500 series pres in an OSA lunchbox for fun!

Just lemme know when!!

sdf
Old 9th July 2006
Lives for gear

This state is just too M.F. big!

Cheers, you guys!
Old 9th July 2006
no ssl yet
I'm in New Orleans, but I do have to plan a trip to H-town soon. I'd love to work in the demo session as well. I REALLY want to hear these. IF not now, I have a friend in New Orleans with a pair of S3A's (NO SUB). He's repairing his place, I'll see if I can get a pair for comparison here when he's done.

EVERY studio in New Orleans pretty much got ruined. One place had IMO the world's best rhodes, wurly, B3 and a bunch of New condition synths that got flooded out.

Most of these were kept in the ATTIC and still they were flooded out.
Old 10th July 2006
Gear Maniac

GAMA 8

I need to get over to Houston soon and visit my sister and her fiance who most recently moved there.

I've got a GAMA 8 that I'd be willing to toss into the listening party.

Let's make this thing happen, I'd love to hear the Barefoots.

Best, trans
Old 10th July 2006
Here for the gear

i'm down.

where in houston would the party be?
Old 10th July 2006
Gear Addict

Too late....

Well guys, unfortunately it looks like the listening session won't happen. My demo period for the Barefoots is up. I wasn't able to get everybody together with good monitors (ie Adam's etc.) and a good size room to make it happen in time. The monitors sound amazing it's just that I couldn't make a final decision until I could properly demoed them against other offerings.

Thanks for everyones interest and sorry it didn't work out. Maybe we can try it again sometime in the future.

I do own a GAMA 8 though. If anyone here in the Houston area would like to give it a listen let me know. I would love to get to know some of the people who work here in the Houston area.

Take care,

KYle

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search