The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Closest currently made mic to a U47 under $1500
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
Golly Greg, I never heard about George Harrison drinking his own urine... that's kinda gross if you ask me. You however, are more than welcome to suck my cock and I will absolutely promise to pee in your mouth.

Asshole.

How about you keep this on topic?

****** bag.
jeez Fletcher, did you wake up on the wrong side of the Pacific this morning?

Greg has been incredibly helpful around here recently, and I think this post just crosses the line - not cool.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Head

I have used quite a few U47s (and U67s), from really good ones to really beaten up, misrepaired or unmaintained ones. For the most part, even the beaten up ones sound better than most of the 'pretender' mics. Overall better - better on more sound sources, better tone, more depth and detail, less hype, harshness, and/or mud.

The best one I used (and owned for a while) was a Soundelux E47. It was very good on vox, excellent on sax, but not as good as a U47 on ac gtr, room, and distant miking (in omni). It was a very fine mic, which I would recommend, with those comments, to someone. It is out of the price range of this post.

I have used the Tele RFT M16, which was a complete waste of time, money and effort. Horrible. I tried a few Rode mics, including the K2, which I also found awful. SE Electronics, yikes! Ouch!

I agree wholeheartedly with Fletcher, and those who say no mic will truly, or even approximately, replace a U47 for $1500.

What I try to tell people (like my audio students), is to find new / lesser expensive mics that they can appreciate on their own merits, for their own tonal qualities, and not to believe the 'hype' that compare them to vintage models. That is the path to disappointment, or, alternately, the path to buying into the hype yourself...

It's interesting to me that people tend to belittle Neumann for 'not making a U47 replacement' today - and bitch about the sonic qualities of their $1000 - $2500 mics, which they generally do not represent as replacements for their vintage designs. Yet, people will happily pay for these 'pretender' mics. I'm positive that if Neumann was marketing any of those designs, people would say 'these suck! these aren't U47s!'...

I recommend looking at Neumann and Gefell mics. Brauner.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Golly Greg, I never heard about George Harrison drinking his own urine... that's kinda gross if you ask me. You however, are more than welcome to suck my cock and I will absolutely promise to pee in your mouth.

Asshole.

How about you keep this on topic?

****** bag.
Yes! I'm the asshole. No Christmas present for you this year.

I thought if anyone could appreciate some dark humor it might be you. Someone can't take their own medicine.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

U guyz are too f'n funny.
Old 13th June 2006

Quote:

Asshole.

Seriously... grow the fukk up. While I can see where you might take offense to Greg's post, I can also see you saying the same type of off the cuff comment to someone else that you might disagree with....
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

I think it might be more useful perhaps to give everyone who is interested in these mics the benefit of the doubt. It seems that the mentioning of the term "U47" has thrown many into a tizzy.

I have a Yamaha guitar that is a knock-off of a Strat. Is it as good as real classic expensive Strat? Is the wood as nice, the wiring, the neck, the heft, the pickups, etc? No. But it's a pretty decent guitar, and soundwise and tonewise, is very much in the general ballpark of a Strat, as opposed to a Les Paul-type or a hollow body type, etc. Maybe this ballpark of tone is what the U47 term is referring to, as opposed to , say, the U87 ballpark, or the SM57 ballpark, etc? Or are these ballpark terms not allowed in microphoneland like they are in guitarland?

I would still like to hear clips of these various mics (maybe the ADK TT is also one to consider in this ballpark?), but in particular the Peluso mics (another comment I found here was this: "The Peluso got harsh with loud singing, the Soundelux (E47) did not", which has me concerned. If anyone has done a shootout (perhaps featuring some well done loud singing), or knows of one available online, that would be great.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

this is very funny,
likes to dish it out, but kant take ittutt tutt tutt
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

I get and welcome a discussion about how to get the most bang for the buck, which is exactly what this thread is about regarding microphones purchases on a budget. Only recently have I been able to use or buy any mic, and most of my life has been spent milking whatever affordable gear I had to the absolute max.

I playfully shot Fletcher a taste of his own caustic medicine because his first post in this thread arrogantly discredits all of us by stating none of us have ever worked with a real U-47. He missed the point of this topic and decided it was time to spew an opinion about vintage 47's and the current imitators. This isn't the first time he's barged in on a thread and fired off a bunch of non sequitur hoohaw. It's guys like him that made me become an engineer in the first place... crusty, frustrated, stuck in their ways engineers. Not to add insult to injury, but what records has Fletcher worked on that set the audio engineering bar so indelibly high? Am I seriously missing something? Isn't this a guy who makes a living from selling high end audio gear?

99.999% of the world is quite jealous of what we all do for a living, and it's not like we're curing cancer either. A little lightening up is a good thing. And more power to the folks like Pearlman, Peluso, and Gefell that make great microphones that won't result in immediate bankruptcy.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macle
Maybe this ballpark of tone is what the U47 term is referring to, as opposed to , say, the U87 ballpark, or the SM57 ballpark, etc? Or are these ballpark terms not allowed in microphoneland like they are in guitarland?
For some, ballpark comparisons and terms are not allowed. Such blasphamy impinges on the Priesthood. For the rest of us, it just fine. For example, the Lawson 47 is in the ballpark of a U47 (when compared to the ballpark of a C12, or a RCA 44). The Lawson is a fine microphone in its own right capable of excellent results.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

+1 for the pearlman...
just recorded yesterday some vocals

TG channel MKII+Phoenix Compressor+ Pearlman = only **** !!! IMO
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

I think we're done with thise one.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search