The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why do you record at 44 or 48?
View Poll Results: For those who record at 44 or 48, why? Why not record at 88 or 96?
I don't find that much of a difference between the two
14 Votes - 37.84%
I don't have enough power on my computer for the higher sample rates
14 Votes - 37.84%
It's easier since I don't have to dither down to 44
15 Votes - 40.54%
It takes up too much hard drive space
8 Votes - 21.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th June 2006
Why do you record at 44 or 48?

It seems that many still record at 44 or 48? What is your reason for this?
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation
It seems that many still record at 44 or 48? What is your reason for this?
as opposed to what? be a little more spefic!
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

WIPO: Can't afford 96K+ converters/interfaces.
Old 5th June 2006
SK1
Lives for gear

You have to work at 48 if your working with the video guys.

They want everything at 48 ..... it's the standard.

Hollywood baby.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

48 is the standard for video, 44.1 is the what a CD is. There are probably a ton of threads on this site arguing the pro's and cons of recording at 88 or 96 (or got forbid 192) and then bouncing it down to 44.1 in the end.... but I won't open that can of worms here.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

SIMPLE!

44.1 (or multiple thereof) for album projects.

48 (or multiple thereof) for video, DVD, and broadcast.

It's the same in NYC as LA. It's about the final medium. Now lets talk BIT RATE!
Old 5th June 2006
This thread was not intended to debating if the higher sample rates or better or worse. But more so on those who use 44 or 48 and why?

Personally I have a Pent IV 2.8 with a 2 gig's of ram, and two UAD cards. I find I have to be so careful with how many plug ins I use in UAD and native at 88. Using Giga Studio at 88 is also a real pain. I have to keep the buffers so high, the meters may be only at 60% but then when I play the keyboard to trigger Giga, they peak up to 90 or 100% with quick bursts. Having a dual processor would be really nice right now for my studio. I am hopeful to get by with 44 with most of my recordings and those with more of a basic drums guitar, bass and vocals to use 88.

Though I have heard some more sparkle in the top end with 88 over 44, I am not sure how much of an improvement it is after you dither down, but I do know that some Waves and UAD plug ins are optomized at the higher sample rates. However it appears that in the recording industry many who have the option of recording at the higher samples rates are staying at 44. I am curious as to why this is? I know Twisted Sister re-recorded one of the records in the last year and they stayed with 44 as well.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

I don't find a difference really. I think that quality gear in other ways make differences. I might be trying 88 soon, but 192? No way.

I like to save hard drive space, be able to use my MPX-1 and other 44 only unit (via digital), save processing power, etc..

No reason to use it. 44 sounds ok to me!
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's easier since I don't have to dither down to 44
you mean SRC down to 44
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I don't know any better

I use 44.1 because I'm too lazy to mess around with anything more, and I'm not doing anything for video.
Old 5th June 2006
One with big hooves

I usually go with 48kHz for "rock" multi-track, It sounds a bit "meaner" IMO...running at 96 is almost a little too clean. Computer horsepower is almost a non-issue for me since just about everything is done in the analog domain...the DAW isn't much more then a giant tapedeck that runs a handful of plug-ins on submixes.

For 2-track stuff I print at either 88/96 or 44.1...NEVER 48kHz.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search