The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which one benchmark adc1 or larvy blue
Old 4th June 2006
Which one benchmark adc1 or larvy blue

The converters im using now are in my Roland mixer vm7200 and they are not that good. Im not looking for best, decent converters. I listaned to a 24bit wave file 44100 of a benchmark. I liked the color but i dont know if it was the adc1 or a benchmark dac. And herd Also a larvy blue but that was mp3 and i really could not tell the color.

LArvy blue and benchmark adc1 users tell you throughts im going to clock the board from the converter clock also. I record gutairs and synths alot. But i want a nice midrage present. Can you post some 24bit 44100 waves for me please. if you can thx.

I did here mytek mp3 but did not really like it. But that was a mp3.
Old 5th June 2006
Oh yeah i had searched the forums between the two but i have not really found the the answer i was looking for.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Sonically it's definitely same class.
Simply said, very clean, neutral sounding converters.
I have Lavry Blue and listened ADC1, too, no difference to extent that each could be more preferred choice.
Lavry is modular, so it might be some advantage.
Old 5th June 2006
Gyang thx for the reply I see your in Moscow I had a group there called Specter. Did not work out so then i moved back to New York. Alot of them were former members of a heavy metal band called End zone anyway. This might sound weird but they ship Larvys to Moscow? When i was there it was kind of hard to get certain gear.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor
This might sound weird but they ship Larvys to Moscow? When i was there it was kind of hard to get certain gear.
Like in most of European countries, many high-end gears is hard or impossible to get in shops. Due to budgets, majority of studios don't really ask it.
Pro Tools, couple of pres, LA2A, U87, old tape machine for master and rarely something else in high-end dept.
But things gradually improve.
Old 5th June 2006
While the Benchmark DAC-1 is a very good and quite transparent DAC, the latter can't be said of the Benchmark ADC-1 which is far more coloring especially around 5k and upwards.

This is not a bad sound (as it sounds open and wide), but just one you're pretty much stuck with, and a slightly "hyped" curve. I prefer the ADC to be more neutral, if I want an abundance of color I will use eq or other gear.

I'd check out the Lavry Blue first.

Also you could check out the Digital Audio Denmark ADDA 2402 if you're into a smooth, warm YET clean sounding converter. I'll be getting one for thorough testing soon, up against the Benchmark and Lavry (and hopefully a Crane Song HEDD 192 too within the near future).

BTW I used to have an extended VM7200 console some years ago :-)
Old 5th June 2006
Don't forget about the new Lynx stuff, I hear very good things about them.
Old 5th June 2006
scb
Gear Head

i love my mytek stereo192
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

the lavry's are flatter..the adc-1 more hi-fi
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt
Also you could check out the Digital Audio Denmark ADDA 2402 if you're into a smooth, warm YET clean sounding converter. I'll be getting one for thorough testing soon, up against the Benchmark and Lavry (and hopefully a Crane Song HEDD 192 too within the near future)
very interested to see your results.thumbsup
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

They the Benchmark and Lavry are both good. I lean towards the Lavry Blue due to the modularity, echoing what GYang said. And I think around here we lean slightly towards the Blue sonically, as well. Very natural.

Only way to decide is to hear 'em with your own ears!
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

If you are into synths, I've heard a lot of good things about the Benchmark ADC-1 converter. I was going to pick one up myself in the next year or so.
Old 7th June 2006
Lager you said the ADC to be more neutral which you talking about. Look you had a Vm7200 i love that color that gives to the sound.

JUst wand better converters for it. MAby larvy but it does have its own color to no? WHat did you use when recording the adc dac-1 vs the Rme. LIked the dac sound alot.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy
The Benchmark has a very forward upper midrange that I didn't fine with the Lavry.

I demoed both and returned the Benchmark. The smoothness to the upper midrange from the Lavry was what sold me.
whoa! your avatar looks like a possessed alfred e. neumann with dumbo ears. that's scary even for keith.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have a Rosetta 200 (synced 2 big ben) going in ... benchmark DAC-1 going out (88.2 Khz/24bit)... I've gotten the best results I've ever had with this setup ... many, many, many more clients ... best investment i've ever made ... oh, monitor thru Dynaudio BM6a's ....
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Head

A lot of people pointed out that Lavry being "modular" as a good thing... exactly why is that?
Also does Lavry make a master clock similar to Big Ben?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search