The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trident Series 80...Should I get it?
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Trident Series 80...Should I get it?

...there are pics and the board looks great. Not sure if it's worth it.
any comments?
Here's the ad...

CLASSIC TRIDENT Series 80 Asking Price- $20,000

TRIDENT Series 80

In excellent working condition , still being used and will not be available for pickup until the 1st week in July. A few modules may need some replacement parts, but in general everything is in good working order. The board sounds incredible and is still in use recording at it’s present and only home. Please email to set up a time to come and check it out.
Heres some specs:

32 x 24 Frame fully fitted with 32 Mic/Line input modules and 8 x 3 group modules
The Trident Series 80 is a Split Mode console which is often considered to be the best console manufactured by Trident.. The Series 80 has the trade mark wooden cladding and an angled bantam TT patchbay. This one is one of the original consoles in an aluminium frame with DL connectors, later ones were manufactured using a steel chassis. The mic pre-amps are excellent due mainly to the large transformer, as Malcolm Toft says " to get the best out of a mic preamp you have to provide a lot of metal " ( i.e. large transformer )
The Trident Series 80 is a 24 bus console with routing to 24 individual output groups, this system provides the best cross-talk performance, when recording a number of channels in stereo, e.g. drum kit, a pan pot may be switched into circuit to allow the channel output to be panned between 2 selected groups, panning is only possible between odd and even groups.
The 32 channels are equipped with Mic/Line inputs, 4 band EQ and 5 aux sends inc a stereo pair. Full channel facilities listed below.
The Series 80 is fitted with 24 VU meters which follow the monitoring, group output or tape return, plus a stereo PPM meter and phase meter.
The aux outputs are constantly metered using a set of led meters housed in the meter-bridge, one for each aux bus
MODULE FACILITIES
24 Switches direct to 24 busses ( no Pan )
Pan pot with a Pan In switch, pans between any odd or even busses which are selected.
Remix routing switch
Mic / line switch
Mic Gain pot 0 - 60db
Line gain pot + or - 10db
Hi Frequency EQ gain pot + or - 15 db
Hi Frequency switch between 8 kHz & 16 kHz
High Mid gain pot + or - 15 db
High Mid Frequency Pot 1 kHz - 15 kHz
Low Mid gain pot + or - 15 db
Low Mid Frequency Pot 100 Hz - 1.5 kHz
Low Frequency EQ gain pot + or - 15 db
Low Frequency switch between 60 Hz & 120 Hz
50 Hz High pass filter switch.
EQ In switch
Aux's 4&5 Stereo pair with level and pan pots with Pre/post switch
Aux's 1 - 3 Mono sends each with its own level pot and Pre/post switch
In Place Solo Switch
Mute
Automute select ( allows a group of channels to be muted from a master on the master section )
pfl/afl switch ( 3 position switch )
100mm Conductive plastic fader
Buyer must arrange pick-up or shipping.

What do you guys think?
Paul
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Nut

nice board!
unless you have a tech guy close, who know how to maintain and fix this board, go for it.
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt916
nice board!
unless you have a tech guy close, who know how to maintain and fix this board, go for it.
Im not sure how reliable the board overall is. Thats the scary part.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

the scarier part is "no pickup until after ebay stops caring about the auction and you can't file a complaint". if you're local, i'd go check it out. it's probably got bum channels, and most definitely an even bummer power supply.

that's about the ballpark price at which they sell though, yes. fun consoles. i've worked on quite a few of them. it takes me two hands to count how many.
Old 3rd June 2006
How many pots are shot?

They were made by Preh. That company is out of biz.

If you need spares..... buy another 80.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon
the scarier part is "no pickup until after ebay stops caring about the auction and you can't file a complaint".

this needn't be a problem; i don't pay for something until it's ready to be shipped. a complaint with eBay is a relatively toothless recourse anyway, so if there's a problem you'd have to pursue other avenues.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Nut

Just get the new Toft ATB console.

Same cicuitry as the 80B exactly, no maintinence issues, great price, more Aux sends.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Is the ATB using the same Belclere mic input trannies as the Series 80? Does it use the same discrete output drivers? Perhaps I under estimated them in assuming they'd just copy the cheaper IC bits...
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Get it! You wont Regret it!!!

The 80b is an exellent board, The price, you might want to negotiate. Very straight analog sounding board. Nice eq. GET IT DUDE!thumbsup thumbsup
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Trident 80/80B, 70/Trimix are the easiest boards to maintain; tech is silly easy on these.

Old 4th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvdr76
The 80b is an exellent board, The price, you might want to negotiate. Very straight analog sounding board. Nice eq. GET IT DUDE!thumbsup thumbsup
I'm gonna take a look at it and let you know!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search