The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
innerTUBE Audio Vacuum Tube Up-Grade kit for Neumann u-87 Condenser Microphones
Old 12th July 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Trumpets and other horn instruments will overload a U87 unless you use the 10dB pad - I tried the IT mod and it was not my cup of tea.
And why I said "rarely." The same can be said for e-guitars, which I love the 87 on, but if I'm not diming the amp out, I like to avoid the pad as much as possible.

My point was really aimed at vocals, where apparently the poster used the pad in his vocal clips. I hate the pad on vocals...
Old 12th July 2012
Lives for gear

I put the IT kit in my 87ai a couple of years ago but ended up going back to the stock mic config after a couple of months since I use the mic mainly for VOs and have other tube mics on hand. It's been sitting on a shelf in my studio ever since. If anyone is interested in it send me a PM.
Old 12th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
I put the IT kit in my 87ai a couple of years ago but ended up going back to the stock mic config after a couple of months since I use the mic mainly for VOs and have other tube mics on hand. It's been sitting on a shelf in my studio ever since. If anyone is interested in it send me a PM.
Are the kits different for the AI and older 87?
Old 12th July 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
There are different versions for the 87 and the 87Ai. However, there were a few years where the original 87 had switched over just before they went to the Ai, and those require the 87Ai kit even though they are U-87.

I found that out when I got mine... its only the size of the threads for the end cap. Nothing circuit related from my understanding.
Old 12th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
ended up going back to the stock mic config after a couple of months since I use the mic mainly for VOs
so, not good for VO then?
Old 13th July 2012
Lives for gear

I have not owned the innertube U87 long enough to do a spoken word session, but based on what I hear, I would think the innertube U87 would be great for voice over and better than a standard U87. However, the stock U87 does have a certain midrange character and emphasis which is different than the innertube U87 (not better, just different). I am sure you could find someone whose speaking voice works better on the stock U87, but I would think that would be the exception and not the rule.
Old 13th July 2012
Lives for gear

I've tried it for VO and thought it was too noisy, so went back to the original guts for that application.

I don't record much VO though, so I haven't used the original guts in a long time.

I use my pair of IT modded u87's on EVERYTHING. Vocals (singing), acoustic guitars, drum overheads, guitar amps (mainly room mic), brass, strings, etc., etc.
Old 13th July 2012
Gear Head

Hey Baz & hasbeen,

Thanks for your opinions on the -10db pad. I had been using the pad for recording electric guitars just prior to receiving the InnerTUBE kit.

In my excitement, I started the shootout with the pad still engaged and didn't realize that it was still on until I was swapping out tubes. At that point, I chose to stay consistent and finish the comparison with the pad engaged. Like I said, it was a down and dirty comparison and I don't think that having the pad engaged affected one's ability to hear the tonal differences between the different configurations. I'm certainly not going to repeat the comparison with the pad disengaged.

Take it for what it's worth.
Old 13th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ellis View Post
I found it to be too noisy for VO. The gain increase with the IT kit is approx 30% which also increases the noise somewhat. Buried in a mix it wouldn't be so noticeable but for dry VO it just didn't work for me.
Old 13th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Not sure, you can probably get that info from the IT website though. The kit
replaces the circuit board and cable connector on the mic. Basically all you keep from the stock mic is the capsule and grill, the outer sleeve and the threaded end cap.
Old 14th July 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ellis View Post
If you like your voice on a stock 87, you will almost certainly like it more on the InnerTUBE 87. You will still hear the characteristic k67 capsule that makes an 87 sound like it does, but you will feel/hear something "alive" in the sound that is simply non-existent on a stock 87 which is pretty flat sounding to my ears. Could be really nice for intimate VO work, audiobooks, or storytelling-type reads - almost certainly for promos and high energy VO.

That being said, I don't really care for the sound of my voice through a U87, so it's not going to be my VO mic of choice, but I would recommend it to anyone who already knows and loves that U87 sound for their VO work.

That's my opinion based on my results using this kit on a 1971 u87 i.
Old 14th July 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
That being said, I don't really care for the sound of my voice through a U87, so it's not going to be my VO mic of choice, but I would recommend it to anyone who already knows and loves that U87 sound for their VO work.
*****threadjack alert**************
I'm discussing the 87 on another thread cuz I'm not crazy about how I sound on it either....d'ya have any recommendations for an alternative that would still work well for vo?
Old 15th July 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
I found it to be too noisy for VO. The gain increase with the IT kit is approx 30% which also increases the noise somewhat. Buried in a mix it wouldn't be so noticeable but for dry VO it just didn't work for me.
Try a few different tubes out 'til you find a low noise one.
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Boy View Post
I'm discussing the 87 on another thread cuz I'm not crazy about how I sound on it either....d'ya have any recommendations for an alternative that would still work well for vo?
I used an 87 for many years until I discovered the TLM49 about 3 yrs ago.
Old 18th July 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
I rarely use the -10db pad on my 76' U87. It really kills the detail and size of the mic I find. I can't explain it but mic Maestro, Klaus Heine, has made many references as to why it's pretty much a fail.
When I had Klaus mod my 87i, he removed the pad completely...

Its that bad.

Now it has 2 different roll offs and a cardioid only switch.

The clips of the inner tube mod still sound nice though- but considering what the pad can do to the top end, its too bad it was engaged- for both the original and the mod.

The top end on that telefunken tube was quite nice.

Though with tubes, even the same model/maker all dont sound the same.
Old 26th July 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Boy View Post
I personally use a Sennheiser MKH-416 for 95% of my VO work. It's clear, focused, and has a really nice proximity effect if you want it.
Old 9th August 2012
Lives for gear
Thanks guys for your replies. Sounds like I should buy an InnerTube kit for my U87ai. Does anyone with an InnerTibe Kit in their U87 also a have a Manley Cardioid Ref mic? I would be interested to hear which of the two mics you prefer - U87 with the InnerTube kit or Manley Cardioid Ref?
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear
No question the noise floor rises with the mod on my mic. That said, it is SO simple to move back and forth between options (squeeze a clip, slide out the electronics and reverse) that I can't see a real reason not to have both. And it does smooth out the top end. I have a roughish voice and have tried a large number of inexpensive to moderate miss (including a lot of Japanese versions stock and modded by Joly, as well as SS and tube mics from Oktavamod, GT etc). The stock U87 is surprisingly smooth, but there's a bit of sibilance. With the tube the sibilance drops to levels that I'm just going to leave it alone, but the smoothness remains. Even with the modded MK250, GT or others I used to drop a few dB in the 3-4k range, don't need it any more!
Old 9th October 2012
Gear Addict

I used my IT U87 to record 3 seasons of narration for Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom - it was superb. Yes, a little more noise, but also consider that modern Vo / narration technique requires editing out all breaths anyway - so you're removing the space between the words where the slight tube noise might be heard. I personally hate the 416 for vo work - harsh, harsh and harsh describe it best.
Old 8th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAudioInc View Post
I used my IT U87 to record 3 seasons of narration for Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom - it was superb. Yes, a little more noise, but also consider that modern Vo / narration technique requires editing out all breaths anyway - so you're removing the space between the words where the slight tube noise might be heard. I personally hate the 416 for vo work - harsh, harsh and harsh describe it best.
Depends on what voice is in front of it ad how they work the mic. The 416 has a huge proximity effect. 416 into a Neve 1073 into an 1176 is a pretty legendary VO chain. No mic is right for every voice...

That being said, I just tracked some silky BG vox through my InnerTube 87. Love this thing!!!
Old 17th March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by passmore View Post
how do you wreck a U87?
add an innertube downgrade.

and yes it will make your quite u87 noisy
Sorry Stayne stick to the Atomic Squeezbox
You need to back off of Stayne, I have a u87 with his mod which had some noise in it when I got it, sent it to him, and it came back noiseless and sounding better than ever, I will never part with it, for no price.
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear

Hey guys I'm in between this and a U67 mod with k67 capsule. What do you think?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search