The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
To "V72" or not???
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

not a fan of the mercury clones, im with the real deal, but the retro clone indeed is awsome
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

great point about the american preamps from the same era

[QUOTE=Silvertone;
That said... How about RCA BA21's or Langevin 5116B's or Electrodyne 201A or any old Western Electric pre-amps. More hits were recorded through these than any Beatles records. Wasn't it only their 1st album recorded though the V72's?

Now go listen to Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Patsy Cline or the like to hear what the American equivalent sounded like... I personally prefer the sound of these old American tube pre's to the V72's. YMMV[/QUOTE]
Old 17th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
great point about the american preamps from the same era
...or from the prior era.
RCA, Gates, Collins etc.
Late 40s, early 50s.
Great stuff.
Old 18th September 2013
Lives for gear

Is it worth and "safe" to mod the V72 to V72s?
Old 18th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simma Lugnt View Post
Is it worth and "safe" to mod the V72 to V72s?
The mod is no biggie and reversable
It opens up the freq range a bit

Well worth it i had all of my teles modded
Old 18th September 2013
Lives for gear

Sounds good...

Do I need a high-tech guy to do it or is just to change the resistors or so?
Old 18th September 2013
Here for the gear

Funny that you folks are using V72 as preamps nowadays. In the original V7x system, they were never meant as preamps but intermediate amps to bring the level up again behind faders, filters and other passive components. I've never seen a V72 as a mic preamp in a German broadcasting studio, which is where this whole stuff has originally come from.

The mic preamp was always the V76 or the V77.

Ralf
Old 18th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by perky b View Post
V72's are great preamps. Trying to get the Beatles sound might involve finding songs and musicians that are "as good' as the Beatles.
Couldn't agree with this post more! Last week I did live sound for a Latin band which was replacing the existing band. The existing band sounds amazing great musicians great instruments and great sound =a winning combination.the new band which was the same concept 3 trombones,Congas timbales etc.. 10 piece band sounded like it was mixed on a cheap radio shack mixer. The bass players bass pickups sounded like crap even through my reddi,conga player I could barely hear him and had to jack up the volume which caused feed back etc...same sound system same sound man but the sound was horrible! I could not get them to sound good. So basically bad musicians and instruments through top of the
Line equipment and great engineer will not have a top of the line sound.
That aside I wish I owned a few v72s the last time I heard them my jaw hit the floor, I have to get my hands on a pair one day :(
Old 19th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoralf View Post
Funny that you folks are using V72 as preamps nowadays. In the original V7x system, they were never meant as preamps but intermediate amps to bring the level up again behind faders, filters and other passive components. I've never seen a V72 as a mic preamp in a German broadcasting studio, which is where this whole stuff has originally come from.

Ralf
Thats funny especially the "always" are you referring to the 30s, 40s, 50s or 60s?

I just for the heck of it pulled out the braunbuch discription of the v72 and the first word it says is "Mikrophonverstärker". With high output mics like the 47 and no compressors with makeup gain back in the tracking path 34db is all you needed.
Old 19th September 2013
Here for the gear

Looks like we're living in parallel universes with different Braunbuch versions. Here's the official one from my world:

http://www.irt.de/IRT/publikationen/braunbuch/V72.PDF

And, for good measure, those of the V76 and V77. Do note the distinction between "Studioverstärker" and "Mikrofonverstärker":

http://www.irt.de/IRT/publikationen/braunbuch/V76.PDF
http://www.irt.de/IRT/publikationen/braunbuch/V77.PDF

Sorry, but using the V72 as a microphone amp was - you'll excuse the pun - simply not in the book. I'm not saying that's it's illegal or shouldn't be done. It's just a little unusual.

Ralf
Old 19th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks like we're living in parallel universes with different Braunbuch versions. Here's the official one from my world:

http://www.irt.de/IRT/publikationen/braunbuch/V72.PDF

And, for good measure, those of the V76 and V77. Do note the distinction between "Studioverstärker" and "Mikrofonverstärker":

http://www.irt.de/IRT/publikationen/braunbuch/V76.PDF
http://www.irt.de/IRT/publikationen/braunbuch/V77.PDF

Sorry, but using the V72 as a microphone amp was - you'll excuse the pun - simply not in the book. I'm not saying that's it's illegal or shouldn't be done. It's just a little unusual.

Ralf
Yup youre right after putting the glasses on it indeed says studio amp. But being a smaller version of the v41 which was a microphone and main amplifier its use is limited only by your imagination. Soundwise the v41/72/76 are the winners from that era but you may already know this.
Old 19th September 2013
Here for the gear

Are you deliberately excluding the V77/W77 or just because they are so extremely rare?

Ralf
Old 20th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Ralf
Perhaps not, but if they sound good as micpre aswell whats the problem? I have Neve`s 1272 aswell which could probably said be the same as V72 category, sounds awesome compared to newer clones etc as micpre`s
Though I must say, V76 is the killer here
Old 20th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase View Post
Perhaps not, but if they sound good as micpre aswell whats the problem? I have Neve`s 1272 aswell which could probably said be the same as V72 category, sounds awesome compared to newer clones etc as micpre`s
Though I must say, V76 is the killer here
Agreed, that even though 1272's were not intended to be mic preamps, they sound just as good as a 1073 does. Also agreed that, while V72's are good sounding preamps, the V76 is the true killer...
Old 21st September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you deliberately excluding the V77/W77 or just because they are so extremely rare?

Ralf
Well rare for a not hyped price are all of them but i wouldnt say no to a maihak v71 or a siemens v77 for the right price. I bought my tube pres when they were 500 eur each and that already seemed a bit steep at the time.
Old 22nd September 2013
Here for the gear

500 each...

I've sold a whole rack full of the stuff, 20 years ago, for an average price of 80 euros a piece. No V76, mind you, but a few V77/W77. If I'd kept that stuff and sold it now it would easily pay for a decent car.

Ralf
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
500 each...

I've sold a whole rack full of the stuff, 20 years ago, for an average price of 80 euros a piece. No V76, mind you, but a few V77/W77. If I'd kept that stuff and sold it now it would easily pay for a decent car.

Ralf
Tab desks were tossed away back in the day
Old 22nd September 2013
Here for the gear

...while there were the first rumours about people hoarding barns full of that stuff.

Ralf
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
...while there were the first rumours about people hoarding barns full of that stuff.

Ralf
Now, they are just hoarding barns full of different stuff.
Old 22nd September 2013
mpr
Lives for gear

I've never heard the Mercury stuff, but for the prices they are asking for (compared to that of the restored and racked vintage modules), they better be "spot on".

Someone said they don't care for the Mercury's - can you please elaborate?

What would you do if you wanted to get a channel or two of v76 today?

DIY or vintage or a production clone?
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr3 View Post
I've never heard the Mercury stuff, but for the prices they are asking for (compared to that of the restored and racked vintage modules), they better be "spot on".

Try n find a deal on the real ones
Old 24th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr3 View Post

Sounds awesome to me. I Love the Mercury M72
It's a bit more "pure" than the M76, which is more colored to my ears. The bottom on the M72s has the "chest" and big warm sound. M76, a bit more "finished" and tight. Both are very buttery smooth and thick. Man, I'm not sure what's not to like about em. To each, his own...
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

I am kicking myself for not jumping on a used Tabfunkenwerks V78 online that was under 1k a few weeks back....
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm in love with V72 and wonder if V76 (x2 price of V72) will make me want to cheat?
Old 7th November 2013
Is Using an 1176 after the V72 enough control to get optimum level into pro tools or is it better to go through the console? Thanks!
Old 7th November 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Is Using an 1176 after the V72 enough control to get optimum level into pro tools
that'll work fine, at least for vocals using mics in the U87ish output field...
Old 7th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Sounds awesome to me. I Love the Mercury M72
It's a bit more "pure" than the M76, which is more colored to my ears. The bottom on the M72s has the "chest" and big warm sound. M76, a bit more "finished" and tight. Both are very buttery smooth and thick. Man, I'm not sure what's not to like about em. To each, his own...
Ditto. Love the M72. I have the Tab also. A lot of difference between the two though, especially since they both claim to be going for the same reproduction.
Old 7th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Ditto. Love the M72. I have the Tab also. A lot of difference between the two though, especially since they both claim to be going for the same reproduction.
I also hear a difference between these. I know the V78M is not exactly a "to the letter" clone, as AMI-TAB had initially set out to build an affordable "V-series Type" mic amp using Oliver's custom designed transformers. To my ears, this is what makes the V78M unique sounding. If you have em both, you must feel they are both pretty special and not redundant to one another. Just seriously good sounding in their own ways.
Old 7th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
that'll work fine, at least for vocals using mics in the U87ish output field...
Danke!
Old 15th January 2014
Here for the gear

Building a V72!?

Does anyone here own a working V72?

For my dissertation i'm looking into building a VST clone of a V72 that models it's analogue counter-part component by component, designed from the circuit diagram and the tube specs available.

I was wondering if anyone could help me? In order to compare my model with the original I need to run a short set of test tones through a V72 (around 2 mins of audio) and record the output.

This comparison between the original and the model I make is the cornerstone of my dissertation and it's proving tricky getting access to one, if anyone is able to help me with this it would be hugely appreciated and i'm happy to reimburse anyone for any time/expense incurred.

If you or anyone you know can help, please get in touch.

Many Thanks,
Kian

email: [email protected]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search