The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
suggestions for a DIY 500 series based 16 channel desk?? 500 Series Preamps
Old 21st May 2012
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Good luck with that... I've seen countless guys try to do exactly what you would like to attempt and the project never gets finished. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anybody finish a DIY console and actually have a working unit with pans and volume, etc. This is not like building a simple 312 copy.

DIY is a great thing for people interested in circuits and building stuff. But, I can't say this enough... It simply is NOT a way to actually "save" money.

When you factor in the amount of hours of your time, trial and error, testing, sourcing parts, etc.... it ends up costing WAY more for the non-expert tech types (which represent 90% of us) than just buying what you need. Plus, the fact that most people don't have access to the required test equipment makes it difficult to assess if you made a mistake.
a number of gearslutz members have made desk the where finished and great Brian Roth comes to mind off the top of my head.
not something i would do!

i would say two options one look for a affordable desk as Tony mentions ( what i would do ), or two, grab what you want in the 500 format racks luchboxs or yes even 19'' racks and grab a line mixer with bussing.

faders would be all that is missing, and i believe they will be available in the future.

if you grab a good desk you will have mic in, line in, inserts, direct out, and plenty of routing options.

some nice boards to be had a good price small Amek Tac, DDA, D&R, Soundcraft and others most all goods board and some minor upgrades the become really nice board. just pick one that gives you what you want for option.
Old 21st May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
a number of gearslutz members have made desk the where finished and great Brian Roth comes to mind off the top of my head.
Brian Roth? Really? Dude, he is a tech with plenty of soldering experience and plenty of test equipment... A DIY console is obviously less difficult for someone with experience building gear and working on circuits.

He is not the average guy who is "just barely getting by at soldering" like the OP freely admits.

Anyone who tells the OP to go ahead and DIY a custom console should show off their own custom DIY console FIRST... and tell us all how many years it took for the project to be completed.
Old 21st May 2012
500 series nutjob

i did not say he had no experience. i would think anyone try to make a console would need some mental MOJO in addition to that of the average studio junkie.
not for me to judge.
like i said, i would just grab a desk.
Old 21st May 2012
Here for the gear

bobs

Bob's first 8-Ch Console
Old 21st May 2012
Seriously...

If it's gotta look like a console, then get a console, given your budget.

Look for an older Soundcraft, MCI -or- go super sweet and snag a Trident or a BCM. You would probably be happier in the long run.
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Head

Jeff is selling 8 module 500 series buckets.

http://www.classicapi.com/catalog/im.../20_loaded.jpg

These come with backplanes and you can bolt them horz. or vert together and make any size you want. Start small and build as you can afford.

This metalwork is the bases for my 10 channel side car I'm building.

Sphere/Api 10 channel Sidecar build update 3/17/12

Gary
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Nice!
Old 24th May 2012
Here for the gear

Tony, thanks for your input but your financial estimates are way off base...

2 x GTP8's alone are $10, 000 USD

Compared to -

16 channels of DIY Classic API + the chassis and power supply is about $4000-$5000 USD

I wouldn't say that in any way make's your suggestion of off the shelf stuff viable for us who are one a tight budget. Thus the DIY revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
For about the same money? ... this one is pretty easy.

2 x Aurora Audio GTP8's and 2 x Absolute 8x2's would be better than most of the options you listed.. and, give you 16 channels of awesome preamps, volume, pan.

Plus, you would have a bunch of expansion options...

And you could build a little piece of furniture around it and it would look like a cool little vintage Neve console.

Yeah, because everyone has a dozen tech guy friends that can't wait to spend the weekend putting together gear for their friends... Some of these projects are a lot of work. And in my experience, the guys that could really help don't want to work on DIY projects for friends.

DIY is awesome for a select few... but, most will waste a bunch of money and have nothing "working" in the end to show for it. I think most people just want to make music... but, it's not hard to get caught up in all this side stuff trying to save money... and end up wasting a bunch of time, money and effort.
Old 24th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gar381 View Post
Jeff is selling 8 module 500 series buckets.

http://www.classicapi.com/catalog/im.../20_loaded.jpg

These come with backplanes and you can bolt them horz. or vert together and make any size you want. Start small and build as you can afford.

This metalwork is the bases for my 10 channel side car I'm building.

Sphere/Api 10 channel Sidecar build update 3/17/12

Gary
This is SERIOUS WICKED Gary! OMG... I am gushing with envy

This metal work from Jeff is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks so much for the tip....

Searching through the Classic API site I don't see anything to do with building a 500 series type housing with power supply and audio connections -
I'm assuming the metal work you've suggested doesn't include any of that?

lastly

A few very quick questions if you would be so kind sir:

1 how much are you in on your desk cost wise
2 how long is / did it take
3 did you / do you have a more than beginners knowledge of soldering / technical understanding?

LOVE TO SEE MORE PICS OF YOUR DESK WHEN DONE LOOKS SO WICKED!!!!
Old 24th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxrecsstudo View Post
Tony, thanks for your input but your financial estimates are way off base...

2 x GTP8's alone are $10, 000 USD

Compared to -

16 channels of DIY Classic API + the chassis and power supply is about $4000-$5000 USD

I wouldn't say that in any way make's your suggestion of off the shelf stuff viable for us who are one a tight budget. Thus the DIY revolution
I didn't recommend this to you as an alternative. I was answering a question from another poster on what console system I thought would be comparable in quality to 512c's, MA5's, etc. You obviously can't compare an Aurora Audio product to the stuff you mentioned (DIY or not).

Anyway, I did my first 312 DIY project at least 15 years ago. It has always had a cult following to a degree with sites like prodigy pro/ group DIY, etc. And, it still faces the same problems it always has. Good luck with your DIY console. You will need it.
Old 24th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxrecsstudo View Post
Searching through the Classic API site I don't see anything to do with building a 500 series type housing with power supply and audio connections -
I'm assuming the metal work you've suggested doesn't include any of that?
The appeal of that modular chassis is that all of those things are determined by you. If you want to build something console-like but with all that stuff already taken care of, stick with the BAE, API, Purple, Radial, 51X racks and arrange them into something that resembles a console.

Quote:
Keep in mind that this is only one part of a console, and one of the less expensive parts too.
Old 25th May 2012
Gear Maniac

i think for the combo to work i'd get a master module from aurora audio... or wouldnt a Neve 8816 with fader pack give you something similar to a console when you hook your pres to it?

i think us noob DIYers need to realize we can save some money on pres and modules but obviously wont be able to "build a console".. to even imply this is wicked and i believe no one did... i think the goal of this thread is to think about ways to get something similar including the cheapness of the DIY world at some point of the "workflow" we're trying to emulate
Old 25th May 2012
Lives for gear
I purchased a nice used Soundcraft Ghost and put a classic API summing section in the board. I am re-doing all the channels one at a time.
Old 22nd August 2012
Gear Nut

Molone design works mc desk with some artist mix and a control and just have 3, 8 channel 500 chassis would be an ideal set up if i could drop the cash right! i mean daw control with those beautiful 500 series pres. I think Hybrid set ups are just amazing in workflow. And if I'm not mistaken the radial chassis offers summing. correct me if i am wrong.
Old 24th August 2012
Lives for gear

I would agree with Jim and Tony , It is far easier to Go the Aurora route or tonelux side of things and get the system you need . The time saved will be put into your craft of engineering and producing . Take out a loan to get what you need . I went down the DIY route not for gear but building Guitars and basses . I hindsight , I should of used the money towards "brand x" They all play great , but in the end I cold of used the weeks of work towards writing and producing . And this is coming from someone who had the carpentry skills to build them well .
I briefly though about doing the DIY for a Bus Compressor , I am so busy it is not and option . Getting an SSL or API will be paid off in a few months studio work.

Or as an option build your preamps and Get an SSL , or Aurora section for faders and channels .
Old 13th September 2012
ClassicAPI's console coming a little closer...

Just last week Jeff Steiger of ClassicAPI posted a picture of the prototype input board for his DIY console.

"Input modules and related backplane" is what he said.

One user commented "...similar to the old 1970 api's where the input channel was nothing more then auxes,pans, buss assigns, mic pre and line amp. The eq's were 500 series and completely separate other then they were in the frame and wired up."

Another user commented "it's basically like a 548b module on the 1608"
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

With all due respect, but those 8-channel buckets look way overpriced to me. It might be expensive to build them, but from a user's standpoint there seem to be FAR better options.

For a similiar amount of money you can get a 16 channel Speck LiLo console, which is actually a GREAT sounding desk sans mic pres and EQs.

I bought the 24 channel version, and I have a ton of 500 series (and non-500 series) EQs hard wired to the LiLo's inserts. Of course you can use third party preamps with it as well.

Seriously, I'd be looking into that thing if I was in your position!
Old 2nd March 2018
Gear Maniac
Congrats!!!! Do you have any more pictures of the board?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM View Post
We "finished" one, once.
22x6 w/ panning.
12 pres and 22 eqs.
All modules from old consoles.

Unless you want to learn a lot as you go and have it take 8X longer than you think it will, don't do it.
It took years.

It did sound great, though!
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyboyboy View Post
Congrats!!!! Do you have any more pictures of the board?!
Haha, thanks.
That picture that I posted is the only one I could find.
it had 12 Quad Eight MM310 on the left and 10 EQs w/ API faders on the right.
The right side had Neumann, Sphere and Siemens eqs.
Panning and bus selection up above.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search