The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip) Consoles
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)

Anyone here using the CM-2 or another cool model? It's a broadcast console, but with just *ridiculous* pres.

Back in the States, the studio I worked at had one floating around, with various tech issues, and as I've been building my studio here I've missed it more and more...

So after various "chilton console" searches on eBay, I found one and *nabbed* it.

Anyway, here's an mp3 clip I recorded on this console tracking drums about 4 years ago...everything but kick is going through it (kick was 1073). The mics were CMV-563 pair for rooms (a converted office space, by the way), KSM-32s for overheads, 57 on snare, D112 on kick, U67 behind the drumer's shoulder, and 421s on toms (I think). There might be some 1178 on the room mics. No EQ on anything except the kick. All into a Digi 192.
Attached Files

chilton drums 2002.mp3 (200.0 KB, 10109 views)

Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

cool

Love to hear a longer clip; maybe with some toms and the snare a little lower in the mix. Sounds beefy tho!
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear
Here ya go...this one of only 2 fills in the song, so...

I turned down the snare a bit.
Attached Files

chilton drums w_fill 2002.mp3 (376.1 KB, 9318 views)

Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

I like that

Sounds real good. The room (or reverb) is nice sounding also.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear
The reverb is room mics with the 1178 pumping in time to the song.

Any other Chilton users out there??
Old 3rd June 2006
I used one

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejook
The reverb is room mics with the 1178 pumping in time to the song.

Any other Chilton users out there??
It was very solid sounding very old school lots of teak. Yeah sounded like an old Electrosonics, they were fat and funky with parrot beak switches and half the brazillian rainforest in hardwood on the bugger. Tweed/Early Trident like in tone.
You go there, old alice consoles were good too. I am a collector and fixer of funky old stuff and a Chilton is well worth having. How old is it?.
Regards.•:*¨¨*:•. ¸¸.•´¯`•.Mark Fairfax-Harwood, Engineer Springvale Studios
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear
Not sure as to the CM-2's age. It's probably from the early 80s sometime, from the looks of it, though I can't be sure.

Here's a pic of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-1f_1_b.jpg  
Old 29th September 2006
Gear Head

Just found this thread

- Just wanna say respect to Chilton desks -

The first mixer I ever properly used was a chilton, 28 input 8 buss with built in compressors and PPM meters. I though it was good at the time but when my freind dug out some old cassettes recently I couldnt beleive how good it sounded.

Think the studio I was using it in sold it and got a ghost -
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear
Nice.

I'm actually modding mine right now to add 10 line ins that will go to the mix bus as well as checking out some mods for the summing bus.

I'll post pics when it's finished
Old 29th September 2006
can't wait to hear it after the mods
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

Jook, that sounds nice. Good on the '78. Don't tell too many people.

The console is a beauty.

Is Alice a UK brand?
Old 29th September 2006
Gear Head

Did you get some info from Chilton or are they custom mods?

I just looked up the desks on recordingconsoles.net. The desk I used was one of the black models but unlike the ones shown on recordingconsoles.net im pretty sure it had 4 band eq (switched q) and HP and LP filters on each channel. Also 4 of the inputs were stereo with 3 band eq. It was originally made for the BBC.

It sounds like your gonna have a sweet desk when your finished. Be good to hear some more clips when youre done
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear
Custom mods from my awesome tech Igor. His idea, actually.

The idea came about as the console was sold with 4 missing channel strips (who knows what they did with them). So I got this big space that's just a brown plate under which the previous owner installed (!) the once-external power supply. Task #1 was, of course, removing that and making it external again, and now I have a big unused panel with room on the back of the console to do whatever I want.

So my tech suggested 10 line ins on the back with just attenuator pots and a L-C-R switch for each on the unused console space. Not that flexible, but it will be cheaper than a pan pot on each line in and I figure I'll just send stereo outs from ProTools anyway and do my panning there.

He needs to take a look at the currrent summing situation to advise on any improvements he can make, but I'm sure he can. These consoles are known for having relatively low headroom, so perhaps that's one thing he can think about.

He's sort of backed up at the moment making TanTan's 16 ch GML/Sontec console from scratch, so my poor Chilton has been sitting on a shelf at his shop in the meantime.
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
can't wait to hear it after the mods
Yeah, I'll be happy to let you hear the mods after you GET IGOR TO FINISH *YOUR* CONSOLE ALREADY so he can do them!

"Can't wait to hear it after the mods" he says.

Seriously though, I'm even more excited to hear TanTan's console than I am the Chilton. I just wish I didn't have to use my RNC as a control room module in the meantime......

Oh yeah, if anyone has any other ideas for cool mods to a console like this, let me know!

This could be a 'group project'
Old 31st July 2007
Gear Maniac

chilton CM-2

Jook
I have just picked one of these up off ebay for next to nix!
I havent had much of a chance to road test it but am loving it so far!!
Mine has 6 mic/line with EQ and 4 stereo line inputs. I am just keeping my eyes peeled for some more mic/line modules now!!
It is rocking my little world on tracking percussion and horns using the direct outs str8 into my DAW.
Any ideas how good the summing is in these? I might consider using it for that as well!!
easy
long
Old 31st July 2007
Lives for gear

Nice desks
I had a few in my time!
2 x 24 channels QM3 (the earlier studio desks) each with 4 comps. Paid £400 for the lot!
Had to sell alas but kept my Audix which looks **** compared to chilton, but IMHO sounds better...
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Maniac

update: chilton CM-2

Man this thing rocks. The pre's are as fat as you like!
Have been tracking allsorts throught it with numerous different mics and it just sounds awesome! The Eq is really musical as well. Next up I should try summing a mix OTB, Check out that buss.
If anyone knows where I can get hold of a few more mic pre modules I will kiss them!!
Thanks
long x
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Jook, that sounds nice. Good on the '78. Don't tell too many people.

The console is a beauty.

Is Alice a UK brand?
Alice was made in the UK by a company called Trackpan. When you couldn't (or wouldn't in some cases) afford a Helios console you got an Alice. Great heritage actually.

I helped a friend by Joe Walshs old one from his Humble Pie days a couple months ago. Danny called me about it and asked if it was worth the 500.00 the guy was asking for it (a 24x8 with 3 stereo compressors in it and in a road case). I told Danny call the guy back and give him 600.00 for it to make sure he got it and that's just what he did. They have sowter transformers on every channel along with 3 band EQ. If he didn't go for it I sure as hell would have. He got a 10K (30 to 40K new) console for 600 bucks!

Here's a picture...
Attached Thumbnails
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-alice-board.jpg  
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Alice was made in the UK by a company called Trackpan. When you couldn't (or wouldn't in some cases) afford a Helios console you got an Alice. Great heritage actually.

I helped a friend by Joe Walshs old one from his Humble Pie days a couple months ago. Danny called me about it and asked if it was worth the 500.00 the guy was asking for it (a 24x8 with 3 stereo compressors in it and in a road case). I told Danny call the guy back and give him 600.00 for it to make sure he got it and that's just what he did. They have sowter transformers on every channel along with 3 band EQ. If he didn't go for it I sure as hell would have. He got a 10K (30 to 40K new) console for 600 bucks!

Here's a picture...
Very nice looking desk!

I have a small Alice desk. Looks pretty normal, but with transformers on the channels and excellent sounding. I thought they had something to do with Ted Fletcher, no?
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Very nice looking desk!

I have a small Alice desk. Looks pretty normal, but transformers on the channels and excellent sounding. I thought they had something to do with Ted Fletcher, no?
Yes, Ted Fletcher was the engineer for Trackpan and helped design the Alice desk. He and Tony Arnold (Helios) are good sources for information on these boards.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Yes, Ted Fletcher was the engineer for Trackpan and helped design the Alice desk. He and Tony Arnold (Helios) are good sources for information on these boards.
Excellent! Thx
Old 16th November 2008
Gear Nut

Hi peeps,

Just thought I'd chime in with my 10 pence worth as I have owned Chiltons in the past and have just bought (but not collected) a 'new' one.

My first Chilton was bought from a local studio and was a QM1 type. 16 channels... 8 each of the full parametric type EQ's and 8 of the cheaper, standard EQ module type channels. The wooden side panels were painted in blue gloss and it needed recapping badly. I hold my hands up and admit I was won over (mistaken) by the Neve-esque look of the desk and paid £1300 for it... In THAT condition!!

Now, for all you guys that buy into the hype (no worries, we all do it on occasion) I have bad news... This aint no Neve. Needless to say, when I got my original QM1 home I was bitterly disapointed.

However, I soldiered on (or should that be soldered on? ) and re-capped the desk, stripped the whole thing down (including the timber cheeks) and rebuilt it over the course of a few weeks. The console looked the absolute business and thankfully sounded a million times better with the new caps.

To cut a long story short I had an email via the studio site from a guy in the states who offered me good money for the desk and was willing to pay the shipping and so greedily I sold the Chilton and nabbed myself an amazing Midas PR003 studio console (another thread, another time).

Over the course of the last two years I have listened back to the recordings I made on the Chilton and found myself drawn to them (and increasingly proud of them) and often wandered why. They had a huge, vintage and yes, sometimes dark quality to them. Nothing like the wide, deep and full bodied recordings made through the Midas, now that WILL give any Neve/SSL a run for it's money (Not beat them, just sound as good but in a different way as things often do). But those Chilton recording I have come to the conclusion, have a sound similar to many albums thet I liked from the past. It won't give you the polished sound 'we' have become used to of late but what it does have in bucket loads (and what so many recordings lack these days IMHO) is CHARACTER.

It all sounds 'gelled' together, like it has been passed through something beautiful. Real old-school and all those other cliche's 'warm', 'round' and 'phat' (Yes, with a PH!).

I think contrary to some people opinions (and they are entitled to them because we sould not forget that these old bits of gear can sound wildly different even between themselves as components degrade with age etc) this console COULD be used as a main desk. It depends on what your after... Do you run a quirky 'Indy studio' that thrives on charecterful recordings not constrained by the industries "It must be polished within an inch of it's life and limited to 1dB of dynamic range" then yes, I think you and your clients would be more than pleased with (a restored and maintained) Chilton. Are you after a Neve or API console for £1k ($2k) then I think you already probably know that this just isn't going to happen.

The Chilton would be ideally suited as a sidecar in a well specced studio and would find much use on drums and guitars or used in it's entirety for a 'character recording'.

To use it as a main desk takes balls, the will to make recordings that sound like they have been recorded through funky gear like all the great oldies do... They had character and you could hear the rooms/desks/mics imparting their sound. This the Chilton does in bucket loads.

So, I found myslef aching for another Chilton when what should appear on eBay but a full 24/8 with 8 compressors and 16 channels of the full para EQ, QM3 version of the desk. The desk resides in the back of a mobile OB van that up until a few months ago belonged to the BBC. The listing had no picture and minimal info but I took my chances on it being OK and looked after as it came from the Beeb.

Well, I got the desk for £Cheap (£Very, very cheap) and went to view the desk before heading down next weekend to disconnect it and bring it back to the studio and IT IS MINT. it looks brand new and comes with full patchbay and custom made (for the BBC) plastic cover.

I haven't heard the desk yet, I have been assured that the QM3 sounds altogether cleaner and a little less muddy than the QM1 I used to own. If the service manual and stickers are anything to go by the the thing should perform every bit as well as the thing looks.

I have a mcuh better vintage mic collection nowadays and also a full compliment of vintage gear to sit alongside the desk including Studer B62 master recorder with uprated electronics, modified 12 channels of Vortexion (tube, Valve) pre-amps with Haufe transformers, Tannoy monitor gold monitors and 16 tracks of Studer A80 and I just cannot wait to hook it all up via the Chilton and get some proper recording on the go.

I'll be sure to let you know in the next couple of weeks after I have done good tests on it. I'll post some pics and samples as the net is really sketchy when it comes to these old desks.

Standy by and feel free to ask anything regarding the desks should you need info at all.

More importantly guys, let's just take a little time out to remember that what we are doing is art. There is no right and wrong just good and bad. Some people have the good fortune to be able to purchase vintage NEVE consoles etc, and good luck to them, I know I would but in the meantime there are some great desks out there that with a little sprinkling of tallent can churn out great sounding recording with bags of charecter anf bring pleasure to thousands... and this is afterall what this industry is about... isn't it?

M
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blivetaudio View Post
Hi peeps,

Just thought I'd chime in with my 10 pence worth as I have owned Chiltons in the past and have just bought (but not collected) a 'new' one.

My first Chilton was bought from a local studio and was a QM1 type. 16 channels... 8 each of the full parametric type EQ's and 8 of the cheaper, standard EQ module type channels. The wooden side panels were painted in blue gloss and it needed recapping badly. I hold my hands up and admit I was won over (mistaken) by the Neve-esque look of the desk and paid £1300 for it... In THAT condition!!

Now, for all you guys that buy into the hype (no worries, we all do it on occasion) I have bad news... This aint no Neve. Needless to say, when I got my original QM1 home I was bitterly disapointed.

However, I soldiered on (or should that be soldered on? ) and re-capped the desk, stripped the whole thing down (including the timber cheeks) and rebuilt it over the course of a few weeks. The console looked the absolute business and thankfully sounded a million times better with the new caps.

To cut a long story short I had an email via the studio site from a guy in the states who offered me good money for the desk and was willing to pay the shipping and so greedily I sold the Chilton and nabbed myself an amazing Midas PR003 studio console (another thread, another time).

Over the course of the last two years I have listened back to the recordings I made on the Chilton and found myself drawn to them (and increasingly proud of them) and often wandered why. They had a huge, vintage and yes, sometimes dark quality to them. Nothing like the wide, deep and full bodied recordings made through the Midas, now that WILL give any Neve/SSL a run for it's money (Not beat them, just sound as good but in a different way as things often do). But those Chilton recording I have come to the conclusion, have a sound similar to many albums thet I liked from the past. It won't give you the polished sound 'we' have become used to of late but what it does have in bucket loads (and what so many recordings lack these days IMHO) is CHARACTER.

It all sounds 'gelled' together, like it has been passed through something beautiful. Real old-school and all those other cliche's 'warm', 'round' and 'phat' (Yes, with a PH!).

I think contrary to some people opinions (and they are entitled to them because we sould not forget that these old bits of gear can sound wildly different even between themselves as components degrade with age etc) this console COULD be used as a main desk. It depends on what your after... Do you run a quirky 'Indy studio' that thrives on charecterful recordings not constrained by the industries "It must be polished within an inch of it's life and limited to 1dB of dynamic range" then yes, I think you and your clients would be more than pleased with (a restored and maintained) Chilton. Are you after a Neve or API console for £1k ($2k) then I think you already probably know that this just isn't going to happen.

The Chilton would be ideally suited as a sidecar in a well specced studio and would find much use on drums and guitars or used in it's entirety for a 'character recording'.

To use it as a main desk takes balls, the will to make recordings that sound like they have been recorded through funky gear like all the great oldies do... They had character and you could hear the rooms/desks/mics imparting their sound. This the Chilton does in bucket loads.

So, I found myslef aching for another Chilton when what should appear on eBay but a full 24/8 with 8 compressors and 16 channels of the full para EQ, QM3 version of the desk. The desk resides in the back of a mobile OB van that up until a few months ago belonged to the BBC. The listing had no picture and minimal info but I took my chances on it being OK and looked after as it came from the Beeb.

Well, I got the desk for £Cheap (£Very, very cheap) and went to view the desk before heading down next weekend to disconnect it and bring it back to the studio and IT IS MINT. it looks brand new and comes with full patchbay and custom made (for the BBC) plastic cover.

I haven't heard the desk yet, I have been assured that the QM3 sounds altogether cleaner and a little less muddy than the QM1 I used to own. If the service manual and stickers are anything to go by the the thing should perform every bit as well as the thing looks.

I have a mcuh better vintage mic collection nowadays and also a full compliment of vintage gear to sit alongside the desk including Studer B62 master recorder with uprated electronics, modified 12 channels of Vortexion (tube, Valve) pre-amps with Haufe transformers, Tannoy monitor gold monitors and 16 tracks of Studer A80 and I just cannot wait to hook it all up via the Chilton and get some proper recording on the go.

I'll be sure to let you know in the next couple of weeks after I have done good tests on it. I'll post some pics and samples as the net is really sketchy when it comes to these old desks.

Standy by and feel free to ask anything regarding the desks should you need info at all.

More importantly guys, let's just take a little time out to remember that what we are doing is art. There is no right and wrong just good and bad. Some people have the good fortune to be able to purchase vintage NEVE consoles etc, and good luck to them, I know I would but in the meantime there are some great desks out there that with a little sprinkling of tallent can churn out great sounding recording with bags of charecter anf bring pleasure to thousands... and this is afterall what this industry is about... isn't it?

M
That's sweet! I'm very interested to see pictures and read more about your findings.
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

U must be the invissible man that never returned with the pix I wanted to see and the story of blossom blom how good those pre's and eq sound!

I've been checking this thread everyday for 2 weeks and no progress.

Damn I'm sad now!

Return - soon!
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

yeah excellent thread
Old 29th November 2008
Gear Nut

OK guys,

Thanks for the responses and apologies for keeping you hanging, I have been out on tour and without connection to the web.

So, the Chilton... I HAVE IT!!!

And it is sweeeeet.

Picked it up from the BBC guy last weekend and when I pulled up I was just blown away. Firstly, it's way larger than my old 16 channel version.

You guys will have to hold your horses for pictures, I will try my hardest to get them up later today but PROMISE they will be posted by the end of the week.

In the meantime let me whet your appetite...

The desk is 24 channels into 8 groups. The minor downside being that as it's an ex-BBC broadcast desk it has no monitor returns for the multitrack. That's not a problem for me as I use external Vortexion modified valve pre's and other outboard pre's to feed the recorder.

The upside of it having come from the BBC is that it is mint. And when I say mint I mean as close to 'as new' as you can get. It also has some VERY useful BBC mods including a great additional talk back module and monitor section switchable (with quality, cool vintage pots and switches) to feed multiple outputs for live room monitors etc.

Having got the mixer up to my top-floor apartment (with great help from my long-suffering other half!) I set about stripping off the BBC added white scribble strips that cheapened the look of the desk. I also removed the two funky little monitors that the BBC had screwed to the wooden surround above the meter bridge... well, I say screwed... I suspected to find them screwed (and to of damaged the otherwise gorgeous wooden surround) only to find that the good old BBC had merely taped them on using super-tape. 5 mins with some alcohol and all traces of glue had gone.

The desk continued to blow me away as module by module I removed everything from the desk and set up on it with cotton buds and cleaning agents (safe ones, worry not). Once I had finished I stood back to admire what is surely one of the coolest, affordable vintage desks around. It looks brand new and even come with a BBC manufactured custom dust cover.

The dust cover must of been used without exception as the inside of the mixer (and the faders) are all free of even the tiniest amount of dust. This was confirmed when I finally plugged in and turned on for testing (I know.. I held off until AFTER cleaning!).

EVERY feature on this desk works without exception. Not a single click or crackle from any of the pots (which all feel taught and alike) or switches.

Every LED in the cool meter bridge works and everything routed everywhere.

Using the internal oscillator I set about checking the gain structure of the desk and surprise-surprise: everything passed everywhere at 0dB with not so much as a microscopic fluctuation of any of the 8 fully working PPM meters on the groups.

I ordered up 16 new bulbs for the PPMs as a few were out and that was it for maintenance and repair!

The biggest bonus has to be the inclusion of 4 C30 type compressors. These are patchable to anything via (BBC modified) transformer balanced inputs and outputs on the back of the desk so can be used via the studios patch bay on ANYTHING. I was buzzing.

My old desk had the C25 type compressors that the manual describes as 'budget'. The C30's however have great specs and upon testing them with a mic in the back of the console and the channel insert sent to the C30 revealed that massive amounts of compression can be added with no audible artifacts. I'm sure they will be discrete leveling devices as opposed to anything with massive flavor but 4 (stereo linkable!) compressors thrown in for free is ALWAYS a bonus.thumbsup

One slightly odd (for those not familiar with the technique) feature is the BBC style fader mod. The BBC modified (or ordered specially as in the case of this chilton) all faders to be at infinity (Off people) when at the top of their travel, not the bottom as with almost every other mixer ever made. This was done so that the operator found it quicker to push faders away from them in order to quickly shut off a channel to broadcast in an emergency instead of having to reach 'past' the fader in order to pull it back.

I actually quite like it (even though the faders simply fix in the 'proper' way with the removal of two screws) and intend to at least give it a go before modding it back. The calibration markings are correct for the fader mod and so would read backwards was I to swap the faders back round.

I kind of like the idea that you PULL a fader towards you in order to bring a sound towards you in the mix... kind of... Proper.

So, once the studio build is complete over xmas (wait for the pics on that, its a HUGE church-like space in an old mill in Manchester UK) the desk will be sat alongside the vintage racks (that were rescued from the recently closed Townhouse studios in London UK) that have been stained to match the desks fine timber. The whole thing is to be wired up to my vintage NEVE patch bay (GPO). Monitoring through Tannoy super red (SRM) monitors, mastering to restored Studer B62 I cannot wait.

I have yet to perform decent audio tests (with music) on the desk but will be sure to let you all know once I do. I will also post audio examples of the compressors, pre's and EQ's once installed in the studio but this may take a few months. I am aware that info on these great desks is scarce so by way of rambling (like now) and posting as many pics and samples as possible in the near future I intend to rectify this.

In the meantime, thanks for your interest and feel free to request any info, manuals, pics or facts that you may need.

As always, keep it reel people. Let's not just drool over the gear (as sweet as it is)... let's try and re-inject some CHARACTER back into this world of music production.

Viva Vintage,

Marc
Old 29th November 2008
Gear Nut

OK People,

As promised please find attached some quick pics of my treasured new Chilton QM3.

I'll post some proper jobs once it is installed at the studio (on the workbench at home at the moment).

Enjoy!

Marc
Attached Thumbnails
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-29112008456.jpg   Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-29112008458.jpg   Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-29112008459.jpg   Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-29112008460.jpg   Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-29112008461.jpg  

Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-29112008466.jpg   Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-29112008468.jpg   Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-29112008470.jpg   Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-29112008471.jpg   Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-29112008472.jpg  

Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

Nice! Congrats.
I have had a few Chiltons in my time! Started with a 12-2 which was a beauty and the one I should have kept. Then I found a 16 channel without power supply for €200 and finally I bought 2 just like yours for £400 (together!) not too long ago. One had monitor channels too.
Decent sounding and really nice frame and hardware. Solid as anything. Occasionally they turn up and are affordable and sometimes they get pricey. Just depends whose looking..
I wish I had found some with the para EQ option, but they never seems to turn up.
Old 29th November 2008
Gear Nut

Thanks man,

Yeah, My old 16 ch jobbie has 8 channels the same EQ as the ones pictured on my new QM3 above. It also had 8 channels with the full parametric EQ and it was a fine EQ.

The ones fitted at the mo have such a steep Q it sometimes sounds like your sweeping filters with resonance. Great for guitars or mangling drums but not so good for subtle EQing of the vocals (I imagine as I haven't yet used it for a session).

It's fine as I have plenty of outboard to patch in, they are just bonus EQ's. Who knows, they may surprise me as the desk has already done a few times.

Like I said before, if I had the cash I'd have a vintage NEVE, but I don't and so at these prices (you would weep like children if I told you what I payed for this as I bidded blind and with little info off eBay) I think this makes a great desk. Let us not underestimate the impact a cool looking console has when it comes to selling your studio time.

And besides, you spend a massive amount of time behind your console... you may as well enjoy it. you can poke away on wobly knobs in cramped arrangements and with dodgy meters or for the same price you can get a proper console made with love and craftmanship, oggle the quality meters, turn nice pots on a clearly marked out surface and go "ooooh" as the wodely spaced P&G faders glide up and down (come on, you know you all love it! ). I know what I choose.

Vintage Broadcast people...

M
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blivetaudio View Post

Like I said before, if I had the cash I'd have a vintage NEVE, but I don't and so at these prices (you would weep like children if I told you what I payed for this as I bidded blind and with little info off eBay) I think this makes a great desk. Let us not underestimate the impact a cool looking console has when it comes to selling your studio time.

And besides, you spend a massive amount of time behind your console... you may as well enjoy it. you can poke away on wobly knobs in cramped arrangements and with dodgy meters or for the same price you can get a proper console made with love and craftmanship, oggle the quality meters, turn nice pots on a clearly marked out surface and go "ooooh" as the wodely spaced P&G faders glide up and down (come on, you know you all love it! ). I know what I choose.

Vintage Broadcast people...

M
Absolutely! I just grabbed a small Siemens console for that reason. My main console is a D&R Orion which works superbly, quiet, feature full etc, but vibe and coolness?? Not really. Chilton will bring great quality and the vibe.
BTW are your faders inverted? Mine were. (up was off, which meant when someone fell over and whammed the faders up, it just went quiet as opposed to killing 17 BBC radio 4 listeners with 24 overloaded channels!)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search