The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip) Consoles
Old 25th November 2014
And here's mine too... Love it as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-regie-141031.jpg  
Old 7th April 2015
Gear Nut

Hi guys, is anyone selling, or does anyone know of anyone selling a Chilton QM3? I'm after one. I'm based in London. I missed out on one which looked to be in beautiful condition not so long ago.

Also, could I ask... Has anyone ever compared one of these to an old Studer? If so, what where the main differences you noticed?
Many thanks
A
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Head
Anyone can give me more informations about A M10 Mk2? There one for sale and i'm curious if it s worth it!

Thanks!
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
There are so many different questions that surround this it is impossible to say if it is worth it.
It may have been stored in a damp environment for years, or in a cool air conditioned room and occasionally used which would be totally different responses to whether it would take serious work to get it working PROPERLY.
Matt S
Old 18th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejook View Post
Here ya go...this one of only 2 fills in the song, so...

I turned down the snare a bit.
Those drum sound so open and great!

I'm looking to buy a chilton. Ideally a QM3 12 channel.
Does anyone on here have one for sale or know of one being sold anywhere?

Considering a Studer 089. Anyone ever compared the two?

Cheers
Old 19th May 2015
Sen
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamand View Post
here mine

[IMG]_DSC7328 by yannickstamand, on Flickr[/IMG]

I tracked and mixed the latest album from my band on it! Love the preamp!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP0j4ILsaoU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlDdJss8WcU
That's a nice looking place and console! The band sounds great.. just ordered a CD, too.
Old 19th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
That's a nice looking place and console! The band sounds great.. just ordered a CD, too.
Sounds wicked!
Old 4th July 2015
Here for the gear

Anyone selling a qm3 24?
Old 4th July 2015
Lives for gear

A pair of Chilterns here for auction.... Ramco Tender Sales
Old 5th July 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
A pair of Chilterns here for auction.... Ramco Tender Sales
Too bad they won't ship them...
Old 9th July 2015
Here for the gear
Chilton m10 schematics

Hey! just got a Chilton m10-2 for free, but unfortunately without power supply. Anyone have any schematics to get me started trying to get it running?
Thanks!
Old 10th July 2015
Here for the gear

Hi, they run on 24v. My power supply is +-4 amps. Any recent (power one,...) will be better than the original supply. I changed the power connector to a 4 pin XLR. 24v on the red wire, black on ground/0. Push all the cards in their sockets, they get loose. Expect to change some capacitors, I could listen to radio on mine. I don't have the schematics... I'm quite happy with mine. Enjoy!
Old 17th July 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananamoon View Post
Hi, they run on 24v. My power supply is +-4 amps. Any recent (power one,...) will be better than the original supply. I changed the power connector to a 4 pin XLR. 24v on the red wire, black on ground/0. Push all the cards in their sockets, they get loose. Expect to change some capacitors, I could listen to radio on mine. I don't have the schematics... I'm quite happy with mine. Enjoy!
Do you think something like this would work if i fit the appropriate connector/s?

Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)Digipos PSU250 Black Power Supply 24V 8 4A | eBay
Old 17th July 2015
Here for the gear

8 amps is more than you need, but yes, it should work.
Old 19th July 2015
Sen
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
... just ordered a CD, too.
...but never received it, unfortunately.
Old 23rd July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespills View Post
Hey! just got a Chilton m10-2 for free, but unfortunately without power supply. Anyone have any schematics to get me started trying to get it running?
Thanks!
Hi man, I have that Chilton model and the correct power section, no schematic but perhaps I could take a pic for you of the inside is all I can suggest? alternatively there are schematics for other chilton consoles on the net just google it, I believe the QM3 is similar and might have the same power supply if you want to find out the details that way.
Old 21st August 2015
Village Idiot

I am looking for someone who has a hardcopy of the manual for the QM series and wouldn't mind scanning one or two pages for me.

I know there are downloads available here - Archive Files - but they are kinda fuzzy.

Anyone?

(Close-ups covering a channel card well enough to see resistor codes would work as well, since I am just looking for some fuzzy values).

Gustav

Last edited by Labs; 21st August 2015 at 01:50 PM..
Old 22nd November 2015
Here for the gear

QM3

I've just bought a QM3 and slowly working through it checking its all ok. Its ex BBC so has the faders reversed / broadcast way. Looking to put them the other way round as studios normally are. Anyone got info on how to do this ?
Old 6th December 2015
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDub71 View Post
I've just bought a QM3 and slowly working through it checking its all ok. Its ex BBC so has the faders reversed / broadcast way. Looking to put them the other way round as studios normally are. Anyone got info on how to do this ?
Should be as easy as swapping two connections.

Gustav
Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
No you can't just swap the connections as they are Log faders. They must be physically turned 'upside down' which may well be easy but the scale will of course be completely wrong.
Matt S
Old 15th December 2015
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
No you can't just swap the connections as they are Log faders.
Sorry, my bad for not giving that thought.

Will reverse the travel, albeit with a horrible throw.

Gustav
Old 15th December 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
Simply wiring a log fader, especially a P+G or similar type (internally) will produce a really poor 'law' and not cut off properly. Even a panel with the legend markings sanded off will be better than rewiring the fader to get it to work 'the other way up'.
Matt S
Old 18th February 2016
Here for the gear

Hey Everyone,

I am in the process of having a Chilton CM-4 restored and am looking for parts. Does anyone have any leads on where to source the best parts. I tried Mikkelsens. I am waiting to hear back but, I am looking for a master fader for the M45 module.

Thanks,

c
Old 5th March 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShipStudio View Post
Greetings,

Here's another chilton to add to the list.

And I also scanned and uploaded all the schematics, and info that came with it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ureandmore.pdf

Cheers,

Ryan
Hi,

can you upload the pix and docs again? Thanx in advance!
Old 7th May 2016
Here for the gear

Chilton 10-2

Hi Everyone.
Just discovered this Chilton forum. It's great to see that so many people are so interested and so impressed by these mixers.
I have a 10-2 which I began using new in about 1973. The recording I made with this desk when it was new still have a wonderfully rich quality that still stands out. It was eventually replaced by a bigger more versatile mixer (which never sounded as good) and has now been in storage for over 20 years. I'm now hoping to restore it but I don't have the schematics for it. Would anyone have any ideas on where I might locate them please? There are quite a few faults, but it still sounds fantastic on the parts that work. I also need some new fader knobs and haven't been able to locate them as yet. Any ideas or suggestions would be very gratefully received.
Best wishes, Stewart
Old 7th May 2016
Here for the gear

Here re the pics of my Chilton 10-2

Re My Chilton 10-2. Here are the pics that I wanted to attach.
Attached Thumbnails
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-20160507_112315.jpg   Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-20160507_102302.jpg  
Old 12th May 2016
Lives for gear

A groovy little Chilton on ebay uk right now. Looks like an earlier model. Stereo inputs though and lacking in mic-pres. Looks pretty cool though Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)Chilton M10-2 Mk2 STEREO MIXER CONSOLE by MAGNETIC TAPES Serviced & Working | eBay
Old 29th September 2016
Gear Head

Chilton M10/2 Mk6

Hello all,

I have a Chilton M10/2 Mk6. Every channel is bleeding ever so slightly, with both gain and fader completely down.

Also, the panning doesn't seem to work, it does something (generally just muffles sound and kind of sends it to relevant monitor), but there's certainly a fault.

I'm assuming - and I'm no tech - that these two issues are related to the same fault.

Lastly, I'm getting an intermittent hum, seems to respond to movements near the console and if the console is touched?! Capacitators?

Other than that it it sounds beautiful!

-Charles
Old 12th October 2016
Chilton M10-2 MK II FOR SALE

Hi guys,

I'm selling my Chilton M10-2 MK II - Looking for £1,000 for it.

It is an ex broadcasting mixer fully serviced, in really nice condition with some interesting modifications (and potential for a lot more if desired). 218 caps were replaced in the power unit as well as the desk itself. All faders and pots were cleaned. The pre's on this baby are seriously nice.

It's 10 channel, 1 aux and has lots of routing options.. also has an in-built test tone generator in the master section.

The following text is from the engineer (ex-Trident tech) who modified and serviced it:

'Channels 1 & 2 are line inputs only. They were wired pin 3 hot on the XLRs (backwards to modern standard) so were not working, I've rewired them pin 2 hot as they should be.

Channels 3 & 4 were originally for a turntable, they had a weird EQ curve on them that sounds like it could be the RIAA standard for vinyl. I've changed the EQ response now so it is more suited to microphones.

Channels 5 to 10 are mic inputs. Channels 1-6 have a mid boost section at the top, with the option of boosting 1 or 3KHz.

The 2 line output XLRs were originally wired funny, I thought one was the left and the other was the right of the mix bus but they weren't. They had left and right on both XLRs with a non standard pinout. I'll rewire them to give you left and right mix outputs, more useful.

I think the setup was standard, looks like it left the factory like that. I'd guess it's from about 1973/74 before things were standardised across the industry.

Also, all channels have the input break jack on the back now modified to be a direct output for that channel, post EQ and post fader.'

Feel free to ask questions! PM me if you're interested and would like to see pics.

Will

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search