The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip) Consoles
Old 16th May 2013
Gear Addict

Great! Thanks D!

Cheers
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Addict

Does anyone have the manual for the QM1? I can only find the manual for the QM3 online.

PLEASE HELP! IN DESPERATE NEED OF MANUAL AND/OR SCHEMATICS!

Cheers
Old 1st June 2013
Gear Addict

Anyone?
Old 2nd June 2013
Gear Addict

No one can help me?
Old 2nd June 2013
Lives for gear

I have a Chilton manual somewhere but not sure which model. I will TRY and find it.
Old 2nd June 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks a lot, mate. Appreciate the effort.

Cheers
Old 31st July 2013
Here for the gear
Chilton QM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Nice desks
I had a few in my time!
2 x 24 channels QM3 (the earlier studio desks) each with 4 comps. Paid £400 for the lot!
Had to sell alas but kept my Audix which looks **** compared to chilton, but IMHO sounds better...
Hi, I've gotten my hands on a QM3, there's no power supply though. wondering if you know or could point me in the direction of a schematic for one? or where to purchase one
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

I will see if I still have any docs...
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
On the basis that it is as other Chiltons and needs a 24 Volt supply (plus phantom) the 'original' supplies used a 'textbook' application of a LM338 regulator circuit. (See National Semiconductor data sheets).
Alternatively you could buy a couple of 'Power One' modules and box them up, one 24 Volt at about 3 Amps will be plenty and 48 Volt at 0.5 Amp for phantom.
Matt S
Old 17th September 2013
Here for the gear

Chilton M10-2 Mk2

I am new to all this, but i thought i would give it a go.

I have been given a Chilton M10-2 Mk2 that i know nothing about and would love to know about the history of this type of desk. I can't seem to find any information on the web about this model of desk.

Can any one help and let me know what kind desk i have or even a manual. He is a link to some pictures of the desk.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gwmpjhtwx8sawhs/jywRqWDlgT

When i get around to it i am hoping to get it working. I have its power supply, but no lead from the PSU to the desk.

Thanks

g
Old 17th September 2013
Lives for gear

These are the earlier simpler desks. Nice desks though!
Probably pretty easy to service and the cable will be simple enough.
Old 24th September 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for your information, that will explain why I can't find it on the internet anywhere. Is it likely to be worth anything? I'm thinking of putting it on ebay but I'm not sure yet. Don't know whether to keep it and fix it up myself. What do you think?
G
Old 10th October 2013
Gear Head

chilton in da house

Greetings,

Here's another chilton to add to the list.

And I also scanned and uploaded all the schematics, and info that came with it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ureandmore.pdf

Cheers,

Ryan
Old 10th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Crikey Ryan!
That is mighty pretty
how does it sound?
Old 10th October 2013
Gear Guru

Love the look of that mid eq in steps, like Abbey Road style.....
Old 10th October 2013
Beautiful... That has to be the model 'before' the QM1... Do you know its year of manufacturing?

EDIT: not sure when this model (M10) came around... I notice the balanced line i/o which is clearly post QM1 in my mind (unless it was only an option?) but the C25 compressor would be in the same period. I'm confused.
Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear

Wow, those early Chiltons are things of exotic beauty! Gotta get me one of these desks at some point! Wonder if anyone would trade for a Quantum Audio QM8A with Jensen micpres, fully re-capped with upgraded innards and re-built power supply. I'm lusting for a change and Chilton has always appealed to me. Lost out on one a few years ago (one from this very thread actually) and the longing has never quite passed. It would, i think be a suitable accompaniment, to my totally analogue set up...........Only after 8 to 12 channels or so.......Anyone up for a trade?
Old 10th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
Wow, those early Chiltons are things of exotic beauty! Gotta get me one of these desks at some point! Wonder if anyone would trade for a Quantum Audio QM8A with Jensen micpres, fully re-capped with upgraded innards and re-built power supply. I'm lusting for a change and Chilton has always appealed to me. Lost out on one a few years ago (one from this very thread actually) and the longing has never quite passed. It would, i think be a suitable accompaniment, to my totally analogue set up...........Only after 8 to 12 channels or so.......Anyone up for a trade?
Is that Quantum Jim Williams-fondled? Only I remember him posting pics of a little one he was doing up for someone ages ago......looked VERY sexy....
Old 10th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlong View Post
Crikey Ryan!
That is mighty pretty
how does it sound?
Greetings,

How does it sound? Although rather a subjective question...like Led Zeppelin? Bold, but smooth?

Like some else pointed out, the mid boost, is really interesting "preset" you could almost call it, and then once heard, I can hear it on other recordings, not just from the chilton, of course.

It will take me a little awhile to have a better idea of "how" it sounds as I will learn more about it.

I would say. although this probably obvious from users of similar era, very finnicky about input and output impedance/gain staging. I can feel how it was designed to feed a tape machine.

Ryan
Old 10th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidChampoux View Post
Beautiful... That has to be the model 'before' the QM1... Do you know its year of manufacturing?

EDIT: not sure when this model (M10) came around... I notice the balanced line i/o which is clearly post QM1 in my mind (unless it was only an option?) but the C25 compressor would be in the same period. I'm confused.
Greetings David,

I am not sure year of Manufacture. I did post all the documents that came with it, in the pdf, for you and everybody else on the interwebs.

( I believe the ppm, and headphone moniter mix, may be in pencil, done by
R.I. Preese, Chilton Magnetic tapes )
So I would assume it custom made, when not sure.
Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Is that Quantum Jim Williams-fondled? Only I remember him posting pics of a little one he was doing up for someone ages ago......looked VERY sexy....
It's not the one Jim Williams modded, but a very similar desk, he was working on an 8b, mine is an earlier 8a (1973).

I think Jim Williams modded the 8b a little cleaner and pristine sonically speaking as is his style. Mine retains the colour of the original, and has had a rebuilt power supply, re-capped throughout, new pots for the eqs, new faders, total going over really by Darren Murphy here in Totnes, Devon, UK (Darenzo here on GS).

This is the desk before the upgrades and mods. It's a super little desk, and i'm not quite sure really if i want to trade it really as it has a really juicy mic pre and lovely eqs, but i've always fancied a Chilton and really cant be laying out the bucks for another desk as there's so many little bits and bobs that warrant the cash before buying more mixers, so the only way right now is a trade. Just putting it out there. Dont want to derail the Chilton thread with lusty pics of other brand mixers, but i guess we all like a bit of obscure brand vintage mixing desk sluttery on occasion so there you have it
Old 10th October 2013
Gear Guru

Sweetness! My inner Gearslut says don't trade it, keep it! You quite clearly would regret it and getting a good one of those back later is unlikely me thinks.....never sell the irreplaceable.
Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear

You may be right..............! S**t, the voice of reason! Darn......!

Aw man, you know what this means? I'll just have to buy a Chilton as well. Goddammit!

Vintage gear, it's a blessing and a curse............
Old 10th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
You may be right..............! S**t, the voice of reason! Darn......!

Aw man, you know what this means? I'll just have to buy a Chilton as well. Goddammit!

Vintage gear, it's a blessing and a curse............
You know it's forward.
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

Nice "all dressed" Chilton! It's the first one I've seen with a high cut. Thanks for the schematics.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananamoon View Post
Nice "all dressed" Chilton! It's the first one I've seen with a high cut. Thanks for the schematics.
Yes "all dressed" is appropriate, were you able to the schematics? If not you can pm. me with an email, and we can sort something out.

Ryan
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShipStudio View Post
Greetings,

Here's another chilton to add to the list.

And I also scanned and uploaded all the schematics, and info that came with it.

Cheers,

Ryan
Wow, that is BEAUTIFULLY kept. Nice one, dude!

Cheers
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShipStudio View Post
Yes "all dressed" is appropriate, were you able to the schematics? If not you can pm. me with an email, and we can sort something out.

Ryan
Yes got it, but it's missing part of the C25 compressors schematic if ever you have time it would be nice to have that too.

nicolas
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

wondering if any of you folks who have spent time on the Chilton consoles also have some experience with Harrison's?

I might have a line on a QM3... As well as a Harrison MR3. Hoping I'm lucky enough that someone's has heard both...

thnx
Old 21st December 2013
Gear Maniac

Another Chilton for the list :D

My beauty! Its for sale in Lisbon Portugal

Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-1.jpg

Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-3.jpg

Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-5.jpg

Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-9.jpg

Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-2-.jpg

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search