The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip) Consoles
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanriffic View Post
you've totally just pissed on the Chilton thread.

It seems like a Chilton love in so any real negative points are being ignored (not that there are many)
Honestly, I really liked my Chilton (I have had a few QM3 series over the years) but some talk as if it is a Neve eater
Excellent desks, but I agree about certain things. Eq is ok. Headroom ok but not stellar.
Good enough for most anything, but clearly there are better desks out there.
The Chilton do look the part though and I was happy enough with the results.
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Hi
The insert headroom is a bit limited as it as many of the Chiltons only run on 24 Volts, giving a maximum signal level at clipping of just over +18dBu (unbalanced output or using 1:1 transformers).
These modules would not support using transformer with 1:2 step up which would have been handy.
Most gear would give you +21dBu from an unbalanced insert as they run at about 30 - 36 Volts (usually configured as plus and minus half these quoted values).
Nothing particularly radical in the designs, but do use decent transformers and 'up market' pots.
Matt S
Old 31st August 2012
Matt, do you know where I could find replacement pots for my QM1?
Old 31st August 2012
Lives for gear

Hi
The obvious place would be to call Chilton directly.
If memory serves they used Ruwido (RUF) on the QM3 but there is a direct replacement type that escapes me at the moment. The issue would be that the may be 'specials' with custom shaft diameter or length. You have a QM1 which may be different of course.
Post a picture of the pots and say what values you need.
Matt S
Old 22nd September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
The obvious place would be to call Chilton directly.
If memory serves they used Ruwido (RUF) on the QM3 but there is a direct replacement type that escapes me at the moment. The issue would be that the may be 'specials' with custom shaft diameter or length. You have a QM1 which may be different of course.
Post a picture of the pots and say what values you need.
Matt S
Hello Matt. I contacted Chilton many years ago. They don't have any part left.

Attached are pictures of an original Chilton QM1 pot, and NOS replacement from a batch I've found some years ago in Norway. I bought them all but like I said, my stock is becoming very low on these...

They're all 22K ohm, linear for pan and log for level. All the same across the entire console. If you know where I could buy more (with the best quality), let me know!

Regards,
David C.
Attached Thumbnails
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-img_1830.jpg   Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-img_1832.jpg   Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-img_1836.jpg  
Old 1st October 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
Chilton QM3 here.
This console reminds me of an API 1608.
Old 1st October 2012
As the owner of both a QM1 and a 1608, I can definitely tell that they do not share anything soundwise!
Old 1st October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidChampoux View Post
Hello Matt. I contacted Chilton many years ago. They don't have any part left.

Attached are pictures of an original Chilton QM1 pot, and NOS replacement from a batch I've found some years ago in Norway. I bought them all but like I said, my stock is becoming very low on these...

They're all 22K ohm, linear for pan and log for level. All the same across the entire console. If you know where I could buy more (with the best quality), let me know!

Regards,
David C.
Have a look at the modern conductive plastic pots from BOURNS...?
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
As the owner of both a QM1 and a 1608, I can definitely tell that they do not share anything soundwise!
Would be interested to hear your take on the differences DC.
Old 1st October 2012
QM1: high fr. range more open, way less headroom (about 16 db), muddier bottom, softer mids, more hiss, more color when hitting hard/overloading, more color when using longer signal path (ie. input-> buss -> master out VS input -> direct out...). I also prefer the Chilton P eq VS the 550A, more flexible to my ear. I prefer the Chilton layout, meters, split design, and P&G faders.

1608: more headroom (28db), tighter and extended bottom end, less color (still some color though) in the signal path, more focused overall sound, I always find myself searching for an EQ position that doesn't exist on the 550A. And finally, surprisingly more reliability problems!... Also don't like the small concentric aux knobs, hard to dial in, especially the outer-bottom knob... Don't like the fader resolution: range from -infinity to +12, 0 (nominal) being at about 2/3 of the course. I'm always running the faders like 1/3 to ½ and I don't like the feel. I definitely prefer the Chilton more conventional approach of P&G faders with their usual range (hope I'm clear enough... heheh)...
Old 26th October 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
I was referring only to the way it looks. Just to clarify.

Cheers
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Maniac

For those who r still looking for one!!!

Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)Chilton QM1, vintage analog mixing desk | eBay

I would love to get it, but it's not my time....yet
Old 27th March 2013
Gear Head

Theres a lovely looking restored Chilton for sale on ebay UK at the moment:

Chilton QM3 24/8/2 mixing console mixer desk like API NEVE CALREC AUDIX | eBay
Old 27th March 2013
Gear Maniac

That looks awesome!
I would love a QM3 like that.
I have been using my CM-2 in anger these last few days tracking drums through it direct out to my interface. It is just so easy to get a great sound from those pres!
I am on the hunt for a few more Mic channels. I have 4 stereo lines which I would like to swap out.
Keep looking I guess!
long
Old 27th March 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlong View Post
I am on the hunt for a few more Mic channels. I have 4 stereo lines which I would like to swap out.
Keep looking I guess!
long
Mik-El here in norway have spares and strips for those consoles. Hit them an email: [email protected]
Old 28th March 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
Mik-El here in norway have spares and strips for those consoles. Hit them an email: [email protected]
Yeah I have spotted them through the Chilton website. I will give them a shout see what they have!!

Thanks for the tip

long
Old 1st April 2013
I just noticed that there's DC voltage on the outputs of my QM1 when I turn it ON. Starting at 24v and going down slowly to 0v in about one minute or so... Is that normal for a class A console or does this means I'm good for a recap???
Old 5th April 2013
Quote:
I just noticed that there's DC voltage on the outputs of my QM1 when I turn it ON. Starting at 24v and going down slowly to 0v in about one minute or so... Is that normal for a class A console or does this means I'm good for a recap???

In fact, it starts at ~ 10 volts, and drop to 0v within 30 secs.

Any electronic expert in here? Matt Syson, what's your opinion?
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
Generically speraking it is 'normal' as the supply goes up to 24 Volts pretty quickly (fraction of a second) but the output stages which will ultimately make it to about 12 Volts DC INSIDE the desk will take more time to charge up any capacitors on the output.
Desks using ICs would also have peculiar DC on their outputs if you reduce the overall supply low enough (and held it there) as at around 4 Volts total an op amp may not be working in a 'controlled' manner and it's output will 'sit' at one of the supply rails until the voltage is enough for all it's internal parts to 'get it together'.
The only real comment is that 'better mannered' circuits would have had a 'muting' relay or other circuit which would operate during power up/down.
HiFi amps have muting relays for this very purpose, to stop odd pops and bangs during power up.
Matt S
Old 5th April 2013
Matt, as usuall, a very informative, clear, and usefull answer! Thank you very much, I feel better now!

DC
Old 20th April 2013
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTaylor View Post

Paul do you know anything about this guy?

Thanks!

Fran
Old 4th May 2013
Gear Addict

Anyone know where I can find the meter strips for a QM1?

Cheers
Old 5th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTaylor View Post

Been watching that for about a month too (it has been relisted a couple times) and trying to decide whether to buy it or hold out for an Amek 2500 which is the desk of choice. But this looks great, would want to pull those transformers back out of all the channels though I reckon but that's just personal choice.

Bit pricey too is it?
Old 10th May 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhollos View Post
Been watching that for about a month too (it has been relisted a couple times) and trying to decide whether to buy it or hold out for an Amek 2500 which is the desk of choice. But this looks great, would want to pull those transformers back out of all the channels though I reckon but that's just personal choice.

Bit pricey too is it?
I am no expert apart from being a CM-2 owner, but prices vary wildly. I saw a QM3 go for a few hundred a couple of years ago, And then I see them for several thousand. My CM-2 cost me 200 GBP but I have seen them for sale for 2000!

Unfortunately (for me, who wants a few more channels!) this website is educating people in the quality that is available. Ah well, I will just have to try to find some other hidden gems while they are still hidden!!

long x
Old 10th May 2013
I say that price will greatly vary upon condition... I wouldn't let my QM1 go for low money...... This thing is awsome!
Old 10th May 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I say that price will greatly vary upon condition... I wouldn't let my QM1 go for low money...... This thing is awsome!
True! and I don't blame you for not letting it go!
I would love a QM. I ertainly will be keeping my CM-2 no matter what! I absolutely love it!
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlong View Post
I am no expert apart from being a CM-2 owner, but prices vary wildly. I saw a QM3 go for a few hundred a couple of years ago, And then I see them for several thousand. My CM-2 cost me 200 GBP but I have seen them for sale for 2000!

Unfortunately (for me, who wants a few more channels!) this website is educating people in the quality that is available. Ah well, I will just have to try to find some other hidden gems while they are still hidden!!

long x
Well I guess that like everything in life, it is worth what the intended buyer's budget is and what they are prepared to shell out for it. There are deal out there to be had if you're not hell bent on big names.

I have stopped watching that QM3 as I have found an Amek in London so hoping to bash out a deal on that.

Would still love to try a Chilton out one day though.
Old 11th May 2013
Gear Addict

Just bought a QM1 for $110 but it needs restoration. Anyone know where I can source LED bar graph meters for it?

Cheers
Old 11th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Facta View Post
Just bought a QM1 for $110 but it needs restoration. Anyone know where I can source LED bar graph meters for it?

Cheers
$110?

I just can wish you good luck! Parts are hard to find...
Old 16th May 2013
Gear Nut

Chilton's QM rectang. LEDs for bar graph meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Facta View Post

Cheers
You can order them for digikey.com. Part number for the green version is:
67-1052-ND,
price is arround $0.55/each

D. Benoit

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search