The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip) Consoles
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Maniac

M4 stereo modules

Hey guys
I have a CM-2 with 6 M1 mic/line/EQ modules and 4 M4 stereo channels.

I am trying to set it up for mixing/summing and am running into problems. The stereo modules don't seem to be stereo. if I plug L & R into L1 and L2 and send to L and R main, it is seriously phasey. I am assuming that it is summing L1 and L2 and sending to the main outs.
I know there are various setups but it does seem strange for a 'stereo' module not to be just that!
I have had a look at the input config diagrams but I am not an electronics expert and they don't mean much to me!
Can anyone enlighten me as to how to set this up as a true L&R stereo channel if that is possible.
I have included the input schematics here and the M4 module page. My module does not have a balance control but is labeled M4 on the rear
Thanks
long
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cm2 M4 module.pdf (80.6 KB, 310 views) File Type: pdf cm2 input.pdf (121.4 KB, 228 views)
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Hi
The pics attached are a simplified block' not a schematic.
However from this it would seem that any of those permutaitions should work as 'normal' stereo, with one variation having RIAA equalisatio for a pickup.
The lack of a 'balance' control is a little suspicious so it may be yet another 'special' variant with the possibility of being 'Mid and Side' configured which would make it sound odd for 'normal' stereo signals.
If you have any gear capable od sending M+S signals you could try it. Alternatively feed a MONO signal to 1 input only and see what comes out. Then try into 2 only and see. Then try both together and it is possible if it has been set as M+S that one side (probably left) output would increase but right would disappear.
Matt S
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

I've been keeping an eur out for one for awhile, but they dont come often in the states.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Maniac

Matt
Thanks for the reply.
To clarify: you think from the block diagram, If I feed Left to L1 and Right To L2 then send to L and R group it should be in stereo?
I will try what you suggest with feeding the signals mono and see what happens. All 4 channels appear to be the same, so it is a bit confusing.
Thanks again for your help.
long
Old 23rd January 2012
Here for the gear

Been looking for a while now..

Chilton QM3, in fully working condition and modded, asking price is 2700e. WOW.

We do have a good console (modded Soundcraft TS24) but for me this would be a great front end console.

Pre's and eq's are just beautiful. Whole design is just perfect.
Old 23rd January 2012
Here for the gear

I've a QM3 nad I realy like it. Good preamps and nice EQ, but sometimes in some situations I miss the luxury in the highs but it's easy to fix with another comp or EQ.

Old 24th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi6000 View Post

Been looking for a while now..

Chilton QM3, in fully working condition and modded, asking price is 2700e. WOW.

We do have a good console (modded Soundcraft TS24) but for me this would be a great front end console.

Pre's and eq's are just beautiful. Whole design is just perfect.
that's really pricey. i'm sure you can talk them down when it doesn't sell. good luck!
Old 24th January 2012

I really love my console but I don't have experience with other preamps. Can anyone tell something more bout preamps character of Chilton ?
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Just a heads up to say there is a cm4 for sale on Australian eBay ATM.
I am not associated with the seller, but I just purchased a Neve 54 from him and his service is excellent.
User name sydwin

Cheers

John Nymo Nyman
Old 29th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Attached Thumbnails
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-p1000975.jpg  
Old 1st May 2012
Gear Maniac

is that a qm1?
Does it have any mic pres? looks like stereo lines and mono stereo.
I was loking at one of those a while ago, but with only 2 mic pres it wasn't what I was looking for. Really nice though, nonetheless!
thanks for sharing!
Here's a pic of my cm2 next to my fleximix on a drum tracking session the other day.
Attached Thumbnails
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-desks-001.jpg  
Old 1st May 2012
Looks like a QM3 to me...
Old 21st May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grin-go-go View Post

I really love my console but I don't have experience with other preamps. Can anyone tell something more bout preamps character of Chilton ?
I'm changing my studio to mobile rig and this great console will have to go soon 24 channels, 4 VCA compressors.
So if anyone is intersted please send me PM. I'm also interested in trades (especialy 500 format). It will be soon in secondhand classifieds.
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidChampoux View Post
Looks like a QM3 to me...
It looks like a QM1 to me.
The QM3 are more complex.
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

Chilton CM4

Hi folks

Just need a quick bit of advice. I have a chance to pick up a CM4 for between 3-4K.
I usually mix ITB and it's worked so far. So I am looking to grab this more for the "Preamp" aspect as I was looking to get a few API512s for electric guitar and bass recording.

Could someone please give me some suggestions and other, but sooner would be appreciated as seller is keen to sell soon )
Thank you!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-img_4498.jpg  
Old 18th July 2012
Gear Maniac

I have a CM-2 which I use as essentially preamps via direct out
They are clean but with good transformers. Loads of clean gain (I use a lot of ribbon mics for horn section recordings) and I really like the EQ too.
You can hit the trannies harder for a little more mojo, but these are basically broadcast consoles so i guess designed to be clean.
Superb quality and my favourite preamps that I have (I have 6 mic and 4 stereo channels, see picture in my post above)
I really love my fleximix for a bit more grit too, but the chilton is the winner in my studio!
I love having 6 identical preamps for sectional recordings (I am a trombonist and arranger so do a lot of horn section stuff)
Looks like you have 14 mic/line and one stereo as well as master and monitor. I have never seen black channels before but they look like M1 modules same as the white ones. That equates to
There is a full manual here
You won't be disappointed even at that money. 250 a channel? you might get the price down. I paid 200 gbp for my 10 channels. that was a major bargain!! I just want more!!
hope this helps
off to go and use mine right now! 2 trumpets, tenor sax, tenor and bass trombone with 2 royers (trumpets) 2 modded apex 205s (trombones) Oktavamod 319 on tenor sax, all through the chilton. Tried and tested! Just works!!
long
Old 18th July 2012
Brownsound
CM2 10:2 here...
Attached Thumbnails
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-chilton-cm2.jpg  
Old 18th July 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownsound View Post
CM2 10:2 here...
very nice!!
I need to get me some more mic channels!
Old 2nd August 2012
Here for the gear
I've been using an ex BBC, Chilton CAD 400 broadcast consol. 16 mic pres with eq, 4 stereo modules 2 groups. It's been doing great for the last few years. I love it but I've had to close my studio down so it's soon to be up for grabs.
[/IMG]
Old 15th August 2012
Gear Addict

I used my Chilton CM2 (9 mic/line, 1 stereo line) for an ep I started on Monday and I gotta say, these are the best preamps I've ever worked with. Clean, loads of headroom and gain, and full of smooth character. The drums came out absolutely fantastic!

Considering each mic/line module goes for about $250 to $350, I scored since I only paid about $400 for the entire console! I love it!

Cheers
Old 15th August 2012
Gear Addict

Chilton QM3 here.
Old 15th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack2 View Post
I've been using an ex BBC, Chilton CAD 400 broadcast consol. 16 mic pres with eq, 4 stereo modules 2 groups. It's been doing great for the last few years. I love it but I've had to close my studio down so it's soon to be up for grabs.
[/IMG]
Hey there
seen these around but never spoken to anyone using them for recording. I assume that they are as high quality as the other chilton gear! Might be interested when you get rid of it. let me know! I love my chilton gear!!

long
Old 15th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Facta View Post
I used my Chilton CM2 (9 mic/line, 1 stereo line) for an ep I started on Monday and I gotta say, these are the best preamps I've ever worked with. Clean, loads of headroom and gain, and full of smooth character. The drums came out absolutely fantastic!

Considering each mic/line module goes for about $250 to $350, I scored since I only paid about $400 for the entire console! I love it!

Cheers
I am totally in love with my cm-2 (6 mic/line, 4 stereo)
I love tracking drums through it. I just know it is going to sound great with any combination of mics.

I am tracking drums through mine tonight!
Old 24th August 2012
Gear Addict

Yup, they are definitely winners!

I'm not sure what year mine was built but considering it's about thirty years old, it's in absolutely MINT condition. I took it to one of our top tech guys (from BOP studios fame) and he told me that he could find nothing wrong with it. What a testament to Chilton's quality!

Cheers
Old 28th August 2012
Lives for gear

Hi there,
Looking for a chilton in the uk.
small 8 or 12 channel.
anyone?
Old 28th August 2012
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB View Post
Hi again,

I have FINALLY (I posted in this thread years ago!) gotten my Chilton QM3 opened up and ready to start changing the capacitors.

At first I thought I'd just change all of them... but when I took out a channel strip I noticed there are quite a lot!

1. Should I really change ALL of them?

2. If there is anyone familiar with these boards, could you point out any that I could possibly leave out.

3. Are there any other components that might need changing (how can I find this out?)

I don't know if you Chilton guys are still following this thread but I thought I'd check.

Thanks for any advice,

Albert
I used to have a 24/8 QM3 when I tried recording music, and I recapped it. Its not a huge job, but buying a desoldering gun might be a good idea - you can get a cheap, chinese model on ebay for next to nothing. Also, just replace the elcos.

Have fun! Soldering cables will be a breeze after this

Gustav
Old 28th August 2012
Lives for gear

how cool!!!! I´ve got the same one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
Chilton QM3 here.
Old 28th August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude View Post
how cool!!!! I´ve got the same one...
Does it get a lot of use? Frankly, I find the pres a bit lacking in headroom, difficult to find the sweet spot on close drum mics without overloading.
The EQ is allright but not really flexible. Haven't tried mixing through it though, that might be fun. I always end up tracking with other outboard

I don't mean to piss on the Chilton thread , just wondering how you guys are using yours. What duties do you think i excels at?
Old 29th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does it get a lot of use? Frankly, I find the pres a bit lacking in headroom, difficult to find the sweet spot on close drum mics without overloading.
The EQ is allright but not really flexible. Haven't tried mixing through it though, that might be fun. I always end up tracking with other outboard

I don't mean to...

you've totally just pissed on the Chilton thread.

Old 30th August 2012
Quote:

I don't mean to piss on the Chilton thread , just wondering how you guys are using yours. What duties do you think i excels at?
I like the P (parametric) EQs. Try it on vocals with an old U87i : magical! Acoustic gtrs with a soft condenser (KM84 or even a 414). On the drums, very cool for tight 70's bass drum. Try a D12E, 441, or RE20... Love that tone! Try a 414B-ULS on a snare top (cardioid). All of these sound very nice on my QM1!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search