The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip) Consoles
Old 24th February 2009
Gear Head

here is another Holy Grail of Chilton owners link:

this shop owner (and VERY friendly guy) has EVERYTHING in stock that you need to make your Chilton up-to-date or just to get it back on track.

Mikkelsens Elektronikk Hovedside
About Mik-El (in English)

he's in Norway - but apperently the a real lover of Chilton modules.
he even has new modules.
NOS parts, new parts, modification ideas & info.

the Chilton Holy Grail shop, i tells ya!
Old 27th February 2009
Gear Nut

Nicely done Francis, this thread is coming together quite nicely
Old 5th March 2009
Old 5th March 2009
Gear Head

Wait!
You got that CM2-10 mixer???

All the way to the US?
pretty neet.

well what do you want to know?
mostly everything is in this thread - if you have more technical questions, i'm sure Mik-El (the link i posted), will be able to help you.

does it work 100% ?
Old 5th March 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis View Post
Wait!
You got that CM2-10 mixer???

All the way to the US?
pretty neet.

well what do you want to know?
mostly everything is in this thread - if you have more technical questions, i'm sure Mik-El (the link i posted), will be able to help you.

does it work 100% ?
got it! unfortunately the power supply wasn't packed as tightly as it could have been and it broke a few faders and a pot. so sad. haven't powered it up yet, need to redo power for the USofA and we're going to mod it for direct outs.

i'm really amped to hear this thing. Richard Dodd and Dan Rudin, both phenom engineers, turned me onto it. Dan's got one and he's done a lot of work to/with it.

so, i suppose, if anyone's got some insight into care and feeding, or mods, or sourcing additional mic preamp cards, etc. i'm all ears. pun intended.

i'll try to keep progress posted on this thread. thanks in advance!
Old 5th March 2009
Gear Head

sorry to hear about the broken faders and whatnot - i also thought it cam with direct-outs..hmm bummer.

again..Mik-El from norway has all new and a few vintage pieces lying around, so you can contact him and he will hook you up with EVERYTHING you need.

no - i'm not affiliated with him. he's just the ONLY one i've found online that's able and capable of modding, working and knowing everything there is to know about the Chilton consoles.

Mikkelsens Elektronikk Hovedside
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Nut

Bulbs

I was asked where to get replacement bulbs for the PPM meters (and VU's on the models with mechanical VU meters) today so thought I would post this link:

Lilliput LES Bulb > Maplin

It's the 12v 1 watt LES type bulbs you require and they can be obtained from Maplins (UK) on the above link.

The manual states that "Two are connected in series across the 24v power supply, One per VU meter and two per PPM".

Hope this helps

Blivetaudio.
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Nut

Spares...

If anyone has any spare modules for the QM3 (or any spares full stop) I would be more than interested in crossing your palm with silver.

Would be ideally after a "block of four" module to keep as a spare at the studio but would happily buy a full "Spares or repairs" desk?

Ta,

Blivet.
Old 28th August 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blivetaudio View Post
Hey Albert,

Taking a breather from the electronics for a moment a bit of bad news... Unless you can nab another console for spares you aren't going to get replacement knob tops. Chilton are out and even my friends at the BBC repair dept couldnt help despite once owning 1000's of these consoles. My first console was missing a few and this type of thing gives me a headache! What I did was moved the knob caps around untill, say all EQ's had knob covers, all Auxs etc. (In my case I was missing about 5 red caps used for the gains. I 'stole' the required red caps from individual features on the master section (monitor level etc) and completed the main board. I then oredered up some funky retro chicken head knobs to replace the features on the master section. I ended up 'all knobed-up' (pardon the expression) with a cool looking master section that kept it's retro feel.
you can get the knobs, faders, and button caps from Thermostats, Thermal Switches & Temperature Sensors | Selco Products in america, they are just siafam ones.

I have changed all my knob caps for black ones, daft i know but looks cool as.

k
Old 26th September 2009
Gear Nut

Hey K,

Would be interested in seeing a pic or two of your desk with the new knob covers in Black as I was considering this myself but never got round to it.

Did you get the knob covers from the link you posted?

Cheers,

M
Old 3rd October 2009
Gear Head

Hi guys!
(my almost first post here on gearslutz)
I'm searching for some SMALL-frame Chilton console, 8-10 channels or even less. Also interested in similar stuff, Audix maybe. I like that a bit gloomy aesthetics... It becomes more and more rare, I guess a lot of guys here wouldn't mind to get one, but... differently happens... If you have one for sale, or know someone who has one for sale, please, PM me. I've been searching for about half-year already...
Cheers.
Old 8th October 2009
Gear Nut

I have 2 Chilton CM2 for sale

Hi

I have for sale (2) CM4 Chiltons
(the Chilton CM4 is the 4 bus+stereo version of the CM2)

One unit as 2 groupe outputs + stereo out
One unit as 4 groupe outputs +stereo out
Both are 14 input frames populated with 8 Mic line inputs
The spare room can be blocked with a blank panel.
or console can be "shopped"...to fit the actual width of the 8 modules +masters)

I also have (8) CM2 modules modle CM-M1-3
(they will fit in a CM4 frame)
Asking Price:
$1400.00 each CM4 (or B.O)
$200.00 for each CM-M1-3 modules (or (B.O)

For pictures see my last posting on the first CM4 unit I sold.
Mixers are identical to this one, I will post the actual pictures of the units for sale soon after the AES trade show

Daniel Benoit
514-796-1773
Old 22nd November 2009
Here for the gear

mmmmmmmmmemories!
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Maniac

small jack plug on chilton cm2 consoles

Hi all,

I've also got a cm2 console (6 mic and 4 stereo). For those wondering about the small jack on the input boards, they are the output for the switched faders. Some of the faders issued with the board have switches at the bottom of their travel. These switch a +5v logic current and allow a remote control of sorts for broadcast use. ie fader goes up and the turntable starts. Not all chiltons were issued with these faders and so connection was with a flying lead so if you are looking at your board and going "what the hell does that do?" now you know. If you do have the faders you will know because when you pull the fader to its stop, you'll feel a solid click as you pass the -inf mark. Some consoles also use this as a mute switch but on the chiltons we use the "ch on" switch.
also if anybody wants these consoles in australia I have good leads on two or three.

cheers
Myles
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear

Old 10th January 2010
Gear Nut

Just thought you may be interested in seeing the Chilton QM3 in it's new home...
Attached Thumbnails
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-22662_1344828901062_1241449931_31033680_8126589_n.jpg  
Old 10th January 2010
Gear Nut

And some more...
Attached Thumbnails
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-16102009203.jpg   Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-16102009208.jpg  
Old 20th January 2010
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blivetaudio View Post
Just thought you may be interested in seeing the Chilton QM3 in it's new home...
is that Bowers & Wilkins speakers you've got mounted ?
what model ?

looking forward to seeing your studio site be up and running.
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow. Quite mental pricing.
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
is that Bowers & Wilkins speakers you've got mounted ?
what model ?

looking forward to seeing your studio site be up and running.
Those are old Tannoy "Golds"... a great speaker along with the "Reds".
Old 31st January 2010
Gear Nut

Those there cabs are Tannoy SRM10B's... Vintage Tannoy Monitors recently re-coned by Lockwood audio.

They sound stunning on stands and even better (properly) soffit mounted.

I run them on a Quad 405 amp. thumbsup
Old 16th March 2010
Here for the gear

Hi!

I have the chance to get an Chilton CM2 with 14 mono an 2 stereo channels for 750€. Top condition.
Is that a good price? couldn't find any on ebay...

Greets, Biffel
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffel View Post
Hi!

I have the chance to get an Chilton CM2 with 14 mono an 2 stereo channels for 750€. Top condition.
Is that a good price? couldn't find any on ebay...

Greets, Biffel
Sounds good. It's a simple desk and not as funky looking as the QM series but for €750 I doubt you will be disappointed at all!
Old 17th March 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply.
I'm gonna test the unit and eventually buy it tomorrow.
Any hints what I shall test in particular? I guess phantom power might have problems powering my C414s (since the require a lot of current).

Greets, Biffel
Old 26th May 2010
RGB
Gear Head

Hi again,

I have FINALLY (I posted in this thread years ago!) gotten my Chilton QM3 opened up and ready to start changing the capacitors.

At first I thought I'd just change all of them... but when I took out a channel strip I noticed there are quite a lot!

1. Should I really change ALL of them?

2. If there is anyone familiar with these boards, could you point out any that I could possibly leave out.

3. Are there any other components that might need changing (how can I find this out?)

I don't know if you Chilton guys are still following this thread but I thought I'd check.

Thanks for any advice,

Albert
Old 30th May 2010
Lives for gear

Old 30th May 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
You are only changing the electrolytic caps, so it is not a huge number.
Pulling the individual strips from each bank of 4 makes the work easy, should not take more than a day or two.
Matt S
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
An AMEK Mozart has about 4,500 and takes about a week (admittedly, long days).
Matt S

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search