The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip) Consoles
Old 10th February 2017
Here for the gear

Chilton QM3 filters/meters modules

Hi all,

I'm looking for 3 filters/meters modules for my Chilton QM3 12 channel console.
Does anyone know where I could find these?

I know spares are rare and I've already asked @Chiltonbroadcast.com and funky junk without success.

Any help would be much apreciated!

Fabien
Old 19th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmanash View Post
Hi guys, is anyone selling, or does anyone know of anyone selling a Chilton QM3? I'm after one. I'm based in London. I missed out on one which looked to be in beautiful condition not so long ago.

Also, could I ask... Has anyone ever compared one of these to an old Studer? If so, what where the main differences you noticed?
Many thanks
A
I have one for sale.
Old 19th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cszczech View Post
Anyone selling a qm3 24?
I have one for sale
Old 28th June 2017
Gear Addict

I'M looking for some fader...stereo and mono...let me know if you have some for sale! Thanks!

Best
Yannick
Old 24th October 2017
Here for the gear

Hi guys, first time posting on gearslutz! I am looking for a Chilton mixer, preferably the qm3 24. I am based in London - is anyone selling?
Old 26th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Hi chilton fans and critics–

I’m considering a QM3 for both tracking and summing duties. I’m currently summing with the dangerous D-box (for clean) with a mixdream XP (some mild colour) cascaded up into it For 22 channels of summing.

I was thinking I could take eight buses from the QM three Into the D-box Which would give me pretty flexible 24 into 8 stemming and grouping in the analogue domain: but I understand that most of the line ins are unbalanced.

Has anyone run a qm3 this way? Would you recommend it relative to what I’ve got?

I would keep the monitoring on the D-box. I use Antelope converters.

Any advice much appreciated.
Old 20th May 2018
Here for the gear

M10 schematics?

Hi

Great forum!

I've got an awesome old M10 but it needs a service (new caps etc). Would anyone have any idea where I could find a schematic diagram?

Cheers
Stewart
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

There's a newer Chilton on Ebay UK right now. Looks like it needs some love...................

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHILTON-C...UAAOSwBRVacY2J
Old 24th May 2018
Here for the gear

Schematics for Chilton M10

Hi. Would anyone have the schematics for a Chilton M10. My old faithful is in desperate need of a service (new caps especially) and a diagram would be enormously helpful. If anyone could point me in the right direction on this I would be eternally grateful. Thanks. Stewart.
Old 24th May 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart23 View Post
Hi. Would anyone have the schematics for a Chilton M10. My old faithful is in desperate need of a service (new caps especially) and a diagram would be enormously helpful. If anyone could point me in the right direction on this I would be eternally grateful. Thanks. Stewart.
Hi Stewart,

You can find some schematics at this link, but I'll warn you now - they're a combination of both incomplete/duplicated, badly-scanned, and last but not least; a few of the circuits don't match with the Chilton M10's I've worked on. Are you going to be doing the work yourself or getting someone else to do it?

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=...O8ZARYF4j2nyr4

If you're doing a full recap and want to figure out what caps you need to order, it's probably easiest if you just unplug one of each module type in your desk and count them.

What issues are you having with the desk?

Lee
Old 3rd August 2018
Here for the gear

I'm on the look for a Chilton QM3, preferably 16 or 24 channel. Pm or email me if you got one you want to let go off. Thanks!
Old 23rd September 2018
Here for the gear
Chilton Cm2

Hi!

I have the opportunity to buy a Chilton Cm2 16ch frame with 6 mic preamps, 5 stereo with EQs (rare) and 4 stereo with no EQs.

Price they ask is 209.26 EUR.

How good are these desk really? I already have a very, very good sounding desk/console, but would love to try something new also. I would mainly use it as a summing mixer. As I understand, I think it got those nice Belclares and Sowers in it.

I know it's not a Neve, but what would it compare with?

Uploaded a Picture.

Best
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-chilton-cm2-gearslutz.jpg  
Old 6th November 2018
Here for the gear

I just came across a beautiful QM1 16/8/2 console buying a bulk of equipment from studio, sadly I don't think I'll have a place for it in my home or in my studio since it's sooo large.

Thinking of either keeping it for a couple of years hidden away somewhere until I can afford to build a studio for it, or sell it to someone more immediately enthusiastic.

Does anyone know how much these are sold for? The QM1 is hard to find in marketplaces compared to other chilton models.
Attached Thumbnails
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-img_3302.jpg   Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-img_3301.jpg  
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Maniac

I might be interested if you are selling
Old 6th November 2018
I'm also curious to know the market value...
Old 7th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelito View Post
I might be interested if you are selling
Yeah, I probably am but unsure yet of the price. It could need some refurbishing but is largely well preserved.
Old 17th December 2018
Here for the gear

As I've been searching all over for information on the QM1 unit, I found very little on it, no manuals or schematics. So I'll upload the service manual that I got with my console here because others might need it. I've greyed out some scribbled phone numbers and names from the previous owner.
Excuse me for the quality of the photos, I don't own a scanner.

Dropbox - DO NOT DELETE Chilton QM1 Service manual.pdf

I also opened up my QM1 16/8/2 to find Sowter trafos on every channel and some pretty nice engineering, really clean and beautiful. Does anyone know what these faders are?
Attached Thumbnails
Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-chilton-insida.jpg   Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-chilton-insida-kanaler.jpg   Chilton console appreciation...(with audio clip)-img_3559.jpg  
Old 17th December 2018
You're right, there's not much information on the web regarding the QM1. I have a 16/8/2 too, with 8p and 8s EQs, Sowter transformers on the XLR in, 4x C25 compressors, similar construction, but mine use Penny & Giles 1120 faders (which I think was an upgrade option back in 1977).

As for the manual, thanks for the upload. I have the original one that came with my console too, and it's similar to yours, but seems a bit earlier. Yours have a few pages relating to the transitional QM2 (which I believe never been produced). My master section is a bit different.

Last edited by DavidChampoux; 17th December 2018 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Hi
I have worked on 3 or 4 Chilton desks (tech repairing not pushing the buttons) and they are an 'upmarket' DIY range of desks with 'custom' bits taken from a range of offerings, as indeed were things like the Audix MXT1000 and others of that era. I don't recognise the faders pictured but possibly a version of Alps or Panasonic? They are not P+G and I don't think Audiofad either.
Matt S
Old 23rd December 2018
Gear Addict

Faders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
I have worked on 3 or 4 Chilton desks (tech repairing not pushing the buttons) and they are an 'upmarket' DIY range of desks with 'custom' bits taken from a range of offerings, as indeed were things like the Audix MXT1000 and others of that era. I don't recognise the faders pictured but possibly a version of Alps or Panasonic? They are not P+G and I don't think Audiofad either.
Matt S
Hi Matt,
Those Faders are the Ruwidos! As used in the Trident A range EQ sliders.....Even though they are Carbon
track faders...They really are not as bad as everybody says......
The nice thing is they can be cleaned very easy! And new proper dampening grease on the slider shaft.
Can feel like new again.....As long as the wipers are not worn out.
The small green fader caps are also the same as the Trident A range. They have a Male tab unlike most.
I have been trying to figure out who made those. But I am thinking they must have also been made by Ruwido!

John

Last edited by jslstrat; 23rd December 2018 at 07:01 PM..
Old 23rd December 2018
Gear Addict

Faders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsnils View Post
As I've been searching all over for information on the QM1 unit, I found very little on it, no manuals or schematics. So I'll upload the service manual that I got with my console here because others might need it. I've greyed out some scribbled phone numbers and names from the previous owner.

I also opened up my QM1 16/8/2 to find Sowter trafos on every channel and some pretty nice engineering, really clean and beautiful. Does anyone know what these faders are?
Ruwido faders! As used in the Trident A range Eq!
Old 23rd December 2018
Lives for gear

Hi
Ruwido pots were definitely 'upmarket' for carbon pots and tended to work well and would clean up well too.
Matt S
Old 23rd December 2018
Gear Addict

Faders

Quote:
Hi
Ruwido pots were definitely 'upmarket' for carbon pots and tended to work well and would clean up well too.
Matt S
Hi Matt,
So I assume the fader caps that came with the Ruwido where also Ruwido..? I found some places that actually
do small plastic inject molding. I was thinking of getting some done to fit standard male lever post.......
The Ruwidos are getting harder and harder to find!
If you come across any 10K or 100K let me know!
Thank,s
J
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Addict

Who made

Quote:
Hi
Matt S
Hi Matt,
Who made Ruwido faders? What country?
Thanks!
John
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Hi
For some reason I think Germany, but I don't actually know.
We used them at AMEK and Calrec. The internal stores 'labelling' for pots of that particular type were referred to as 'Ruwido / RUF'. They were decent quality and could be 'reassigned' for one off specials by drilling the rivets and swapping the tracks over then reassemble with thin bolts.
There is a failure mode where the connecting tags lose contact with the track especially if the mounting nut had been loose. Resoldering the connections often repaired them (after tightening the nut up).
Matt S
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

First post but have been lurking and watching this thread for some time. In the past couple of years I have done a lot of work on an old QM1 16/8/2 for a local studio owner, particularly this past spring and summer when I basically stripped it down and cleaned everything and fixed some nagging issues with the old beast. I modded it so that the filter sections could be bypassed and replaced some bum switches and stuff. All of the meters were way out of whack and the channel meters are wack in general. :D There was an issue with a rather large transient when the midrange gain knob was swept on several channels. I traced this back to the pot itself. I guess there was a little section of the travel where a piece of dust or something caused the pot to briefly go open which caused rather a nasty transient in the audio signal. Cleaning the pots cured it (at least temporarily) but I suspect it will creep back in at some point and I will need to replace them, which presents a lot of its own problems because they are really hard to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsnils View Post

Thanks for posting this!

If I'd only had this before I reverse engineered all of the routing and master section and the line amp and filter modules from the PCBs to figure out the schematics. Oh well, at least I can use these to confirm that I did it right. :D

I used the QM3 manual as a rough guide but the QM1 has several major differences.

Also, the inside of the one I've been working on is nowhere near as clean as this one is. Wiring is much messier. It does have the P&G faders, though. I'd post an image but I don't seem to be allowed to do that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidChampoux View Post
You're right, there's not much information on the web regarding the QM1. I have a 16/8/2 too, with 8p and 8s EQs, Sowter transformers on the XLR in, 4x C25 compressors, similar construction, but mine use Penny & Giles 1120 faders (which I think was an upgrade option back in 1977).

As for the manual, thanks for the upload. I have the original one that came with my console too, and it's similar to yours, but seems a bit earlier. Yours have a few pages relating to the transitional QM2 (which I believe never been produced). My master section is a bit different.
I think the master section in the one I've worked on is pretty close to the one above but I don't remember exactly. It may be slightly different.

Don't suppose you have a schematic for the C25 compressor? We have one that's making a lot of noise and I'd prefer to not have to work back from the PCB layout this time.

Also, I don't suppose you know of anywhere I can get those 22k linear EQ pots or some reasonable substitute? I've scoured the internet and can't seem to find anything.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

I'm also in the process of changing the meter lights over to LEDs. I picked up some warm white ones and I'm retrofitting them using the existing hardware. Instead of pairs in series, I'm running 4 strings of 8 LEDs and a trim pot to set the current.

When I first did the filter bypass mod I found that some of the channels were cutting in and out when I reinstalled the meter/filter assemblies. Space is really limited up there and I think in fooling around to get the card edge connectors on and off the boards I inadvertently bent the pins a little so they were a bit intermittent. I retensioned them with a pair of fine tweezers and they're perfect again now.
Old 19th January 2019
Here for the gear

Hi Folks

I've been digging (as much as this is possible considering that they are not much infos available) a CHilton alternative for tracking and mixing duties for a B setup (or replacing our Trident 80b if we love the sound so much).
I want to hook it up with our 2"/16 studer A 80 so an 24/8/2 would be ideal...
So far I did not find any available... So in case someone has one to let go please get in touch!
I can also consider 16/8/2...

I've been offered by a broker a (apparently) QM1, it says 100s MKII 16/2 with 3 bands (Hi/Lo fixed shelves + 2 mid positions 300/3kHz), 2 auxes, overhauled recently + Mute added + filter bypass added + 48v switches in bank of 8.
This could be a nice opportunity to try it, but despite it seems to be in very good shape they are asking 4250€ excl. VAT...
I've refurbished myself desks, I know it comes with a price to get an up to spec machine, but I think it's maybe a bit above a reasonable price...

If this is an OK deal I can also consider adding more routing options like a small buss matrix + buss returns with my tech to interface it better with a tape machine.

What do you think guys, is this worth it?

Would love to have feedbacks on this.

Best

Last edited by benoit bel; 19th January 2019 at 01:09 PM..
Old 20th January 2019
Here for the gear
Hello

Just bought a QM1 chilton, missing 2 channels (1&2).
the question is, do somebody know were i can find some spare ?
I also need the schematics, i have downloaded the QM3 schematics but it s quite different .....
notice that i saw the links for schematics but they re seems not to work anymore...

thanks for your reply.

best regards from from france

Antoine
Old 20th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etonio37 View Post
Hello

Just bought a QM1 chilton, missing 2 channels (1&2).
the question is, do somebody know were i can find some spare ?
I also need the schematics, i have downloaded the QM3 schematics but it s quite different .....
notice that i saw the links for schematics but they re seems not to work anymore...

thanks for your reply.

best regards from from france

Antoine
How much did you pay for it?
What is your setup (channels/Eqs/Busses)?
How do you plan to use it? Tracking?Mixing?

Je suis de lyon Antoine!

++

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search