The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API reference album/recording...? Consoles
Old 1st June 2006
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
Mattsson's Avatar
 

API reference album/recording...?

Hey all=)

If somone asks you to describe the sound of API gear, which album or recording comes first to your mind?

Cheers

Rob
Old 1st June 2006
  #2
Gear Nut
 

HI !

The " Perle" Album from "Gianna Nannini" was complete recorded with API and EAR Equipment from one of the best Engineers in Germany ...
Old 1st June 2006
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Greg Curtis's Avatar
 

the Beach Boys recordings donewith Sunset Sound's API in Studio 1.

Greg

.
Old 1st June 2006
  #4
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

And I believe Purple Rain was done at studio 3 at Sunset on the custom API.
Old 1st June 2006
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Some of the Mary CHapin Carpenter albums were recorded at Bias studios through API;I like the sound of those.

Pete
Old 1st June 2006
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Kestral's Avatar
 

Ok, so far no one has been able to name anything good that has been done with APIs. Someone throw a fricking bone here, cause it's only reinforcing my belief that Neves are completely superior to APIs.
Old 1st June 2006
  #7
Lives for gear
 
dpianomn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Ok, so far no one has been able to name anything good that has been done with APIs.
Old 1st June 2006
  #8
Gear Addict
 

How about the Van Halen albums then?

Toto IV ?

Rail
Old 2nd June 2006
  #9
Lives for gear
 

I believe the last few Phish albums (like, from "Farmhouse" on) were done on their API console...although I don't know if I'd say that the albums "sound like" API...

-Duardo
Old 2nd June 2006
  #11
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

Why do we have to decide that one box is better than another?

Can we just decide if a thing is good or not?

I think API is good, but what I'm starting to wonder is 'what do I know?'

Hey, doesn't Tony Berg have an API over at the house in Brentwood?

I wasn't much of an engineer when I got to check it out. heh
Old 2nd June 2006
  #12
Lives for gear
 
paterno's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut
How about the Van Halen albums then?

Toto IV ?

Rail
Not to get too picky, but those records, along with the Prince stuff [1999, Purple Rain, and a few others] at Sunset Sound, were done on DiMedio consoles, which were custom designs based around API components -- pres and line amps. While similar, it's not quite - technically - an API.

I'm pretty sure that Sound Factory has been all API since the 70's. If you go on the Sunset Sound website I'm sure there is a list of records done at both facilities over the years.

Cheers,
John
Old 2nd June 2006
  #13
Gear Guru
 
lucey's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno
Not to get too picky, but those records, along with the Prince stuff [1999, Purple Rain, and a few others] at Sunset Sound, were done on DiMedio consoles, which were custom designs based around API components -- pres and line amps. While similar, it's not quite - technically - an API.
Is that the API-ish console with the Nickel transformers? If so ... brighter.


Dave Matthews Band early albums all API?
Old 2nd June 2006
  #14
Gear Addict
 

Hi John

Toto IV was done at Record One (mainly) I believe.

When I talk API, I'm thinking of the 2520 BTW

Rail
Old 2nd June 2006
  #15
Lives for gear
 
paterno's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut
Hi John

Toto IV was done at Record One (mainly) I believe.

When I talk API, I'm thinking of the 2520 BTW

Rail
Hey Rail --

Toto IV was done at both Sunset Sound and Record One. Sunset has first billing in the credits if that makes any difference. I believe the Al Schmitt tracks were done there -- in Studio 2, the same room as Van Halen I.

Not sure what you mean by 'thinking of the 2520'?

JP
Old 2nd June 2006
  #16
Gear Addict
 

Those mid 70's to early 80's James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt albums that were done at The Sound Factory are classic API, IMO. Toto IV is VERY API sounding, and to my ear less clean and modded API sounding, but that fat, slightly soft, stock API sound.
Dave McNair
Old 2nd June 2006
  #17
Lives for gear
 
paterno's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
Is that the API-ish console with the Nickel transformers? If so ... brighter.
From what i know about the DiMedio consoles, he used API mic amp cards, line amp cards, and EQ's in his consoles. At the time, API would sell him these components and he built the consoles around them. If there was a Nickel transformer version of the API card, then it is possible. I worked on one DiMedio that had ALL mic pre cards for all the gain stages, because, as i have heard it, at the time the console was built API did not have any line amp cards. Mr DiMedio just modded the cards to work with line level signals, and left all the transformers in !!! That was one S-L-O-W console !! From what I understand, it was built for Wally Heider's place, and at one point Tom Rothrock and Rob Schnapf had it for several years. It was sold to Artist Direct around 2003/2004 and i'm not sure what happened to it after that...

John
Old 2nd June 2006
  #18
Lives for gear
 
paterno's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsnare
Those mid 70's to early 80's James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt albums that were done at The Sound Factory are classic API, IMO. Toto IV is VERY API sounding, and to my ear less clean and modded API sounding, but that fat, slightly soft, stock API sound.
Dave McNair
Hey Dave !!!

What's new? nice job on Julien Kasper's record !!!

Cheers,
John
Old 2nd June 2006
  #19
Gear Addict
 

Thanks!

Dave
Old 2nd June 2006
  #20
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno
Hey Rail --

Toto IV was done at both Sunset Sound and Record One. Sunset has first billing in the credits if that makes any difference. I believe the Al Schmitt tracks were done there -- in Studio 2, the same room as Van Halen I.

Not sure what you mean by 'thinking of the 2520'?

JP
http://www.waltzingbear.com/Schematics/API/API_2520.htm

The Op Amp which IMO is the main sonic imprint of the API modules/consoles.

Rail
Old 2nd June 2006
  #21
Lives for gear
 
TheSweetener's Avatar
 

Lenny Kravitz uses an API console right?
Old 2nd June 2006
  #22
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
The DeMedio console at Heider ...Crosby, Stills & Nash and CSN&Y Deja Vu (NOT API)!!! ...I repeat (NOT API) !!! ...and around '73 or '74, they switched to API. If you do the math, it's easy to figure out why I don't use API. HEE!
Old 2nd June 2006
  #23
Lives for gear
 
picksail's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut
When I talk API, I'm thinking of the 2520 BTW

Rail
Absolutely
Old 2nd June 2006
  #24
Gear Nut
 

I read that the Isley Brothers recorded on an API.
Old 2nd June 2006
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Steamy Williams's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno
From what i know about the DiMedio consoles, he used API mic amp cards, line amp cards, and EQ's in his consoles. At the time, API would sell him these components and he built the consoles around them. If there was a Nickel transformer version of the API card, then it is possible. I worked on one DiMedio that had ALL mic pre cards for all the gain stages, because, as i have heard it, at the time the console was built API did not have any line amp cards. Mr DiMedio just modded the cards to work with line level signals, and left all the transformers in !!! That was one S-L-O-W console !! From what I understand, it was built for Wally Heider's place, and at one point Tom Rothrock and Rob Schnapf had it for several years. It was sold to Artist Direct around 2003/2004 and i'm not sure what happened to it after that...

John
From speaking to Frank De Medio last year, I know that at least some of the De Medio consoles only have API EQ and not Api mic preamps, De Medio manufacturered his own. I think this is true of Prince's De Medio at Paisley Park.
Old 2nd June 2006
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Steamy Williams's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevusmusic
I read that the Isley Brothers recorded on an API.
http://mixonline.com/recording/inter...brothers_lady/
Old 2nd June 2006
  #27
Here for the gear
 

Tom Rothrock and Rob Schnapf did some Elliott Smith albums on API.
Tchad Blake did most of his stuff-before moving to RealWorld- on API at SunsetSound, i.e. Phantom Planets "California", Los Lobos"This Time", Ron Sexsmith "Whereabouts"
Old 2nd June 2006
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Lenny Kravitz uses an API console right?
I think he bought a vintage TG console awhile back no?
Old 2nd June 2006
  #29
Gear Maniac
 
retrograde's Avatar
 

API

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardoso
Tom Rothrock and Rob Schnapf did some Elliott Smith albums on API.
Tchad Blake did most of his stuff-before moving to RealWorld- on API at SunsetSound, i.e. Phantom Planets "California", Los Lobos"This Time", Ron Sexsmith "Whereabouts"

He engineered the first two Crowded House albums with Mitchell Froom at Sunset on that desk as well.
Old 2nd June 2006
  #30
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
Allman Bros...most recorded on Capricorns API...Kooster's cool remote truck
http://www.recordplantremote.com/
http://www.recordplantremote.com/clients/index.php
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
beesting / So much gear, so little time
2
weatherbox / So much gear, so little time
0
Mattsson / High end
1
Wakena2003 / So much gear, so little time
13

Forum Jump
Forum Jump