The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API reference album/recording...? Consoles
Old 21st December 2007
Lives for gear

Has anyone mentioned Rickie Lee Jones yet? That was an API...Amigo Studios.
Old 21st December 2007
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
The DeMedio console at Heider ...Crosby, Stills & Nash and CSN&Y Deja Vu (NOT API)!!! ...I repeat (NOT API) !!! ...and around '73 or '74, they switched to API. If you do the math, it's easy to figure out why I don't use API. HEE!
They used UREI cards although Frank had switched to APIs for his new consoles by 1972 and at that point the Heider consoles had been retrofitted with API equalizers. A lot of west coast APIs were retrofitted with Jensen transformers.
Old 21st December 2007
Lives for gear

most of the 70's aerosmith was api
Old 21st December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I believe Stevie Wonder had an API back in the day.."Talking Book","Innervisions",Etc.

Is this true?

Two of my favorite albums ever.

The good old days...
Old 21st December 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
Ok, so far no one has been able to name anything good that has been done with APIs. Someone throw a fricking bone here, cause it's only reinforcing my belief that Neves are completely superior to APIs.
I offer this comment as I have now retired using this login for anything productive, and now have another one for meaningful dialog.

You are a total ******.

This is started as a reasonable thread, I've even though of starting myself, which albums most carry the sonic signature of a particular console...

You are once again a waste... this post is one of the stupidest things Ive read on this board.

PURPLE RAIN NOT GOOD????
Old 17th July 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslstrat View Post
Most Seattle stuff in Seattle If not ALL at these three or four studios 1. Bear Creek Studios TRIDENT TSM! Lots of Soundgarden! Bad Motor Finger & Singles 2. London Bridge Neve 80 series. 3.Soundhouse (Lots of 90,s Seattle) Trident 80B! 4. Bad Animals has always had some type of SSL and was usually used for alot of Mixing etc.....

Trident Trident Trident...................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think everybody is on such a ****ing API Neve discrete kick they forget to use there ears.......
Actually there was an API in studio B at Bad Animals at that time that was used a lot on that record (Superunknown). Same one that Steve Mille did a lot of his hits on.
Old 17th July 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Trident TSM recordings......Bear Creek Studio - Projects

Trident 80B Soundhouse SOUNDHOUSE | Clients

Avast now Trident A range.....WE Pledge To Have A Website By 2010
Avast has always had an API Legacy, they added an A Range a couple of years ago when they got a second control room.
Old 17th July 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Princes Paisley Park API is all custom DeMedio and all of the Mic pres in that desk are DeMedio.
Only thing API I believe is the 550A eq and some graphic eq,s. The rest is ALL custom DeMedio.
Very cool looking desk! You can see it at the Paisley Park Virtual Tour.
Weren't the Demedio's largely based on API's design?
Old 17th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Avast has always had an API Legacy, they added an A Range a couple of years ago when they got a second control room.
And a beauty it is!!!!!

Some time ago I got to do some brief assisting there, and loved it. Met Stuart, nice guy.
Old 17th July 2010
Lives for gear

keep your ears peeled for new steve miller.
Old 19th July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpapatonis View Post
What's better, a Tele, a Strat, or a Les Paul? A Yamaha drum set or a DW? Chocolate or vanilla?
Les Paul
DW
Vanilla

people hire you in part for YOUR taste.

Quote:
If you have the luxury of choosing between them, get to know their characteristics and pick the one that works for the project (which was the original intention of this thread).
I don't actually think it's project specific when it comes to desks. (other than size)

Quote:
Even "mediocre quality" gear can work.
but is never preferable.
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
Les Paul
DW
Vanilla

Tele
Yamaha
Vanilla
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Les Paul, Yamaha, Chocolate
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Jazzmaster
Gretsch
Pistachio
Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear

Nice thread.

Someone mentioned to me down the line that a few of Stevie Wonder songs were done on API. I wonder which songs or album?
Bump.thumbsup
Old 25th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reid View Post
Songs in the Key of Life, Hotter than July, Innervisions.

Thanks David! thumbsup Songs in the key of life. One of my most favorites.
Old 25th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterminder View Post
i think don henley is a big api fan.

i was over at brett averill's house a time or two when he had a big api console there that he was restoring or tweaking or something. i believe it belonged to henley, and it seems to me that some of the eagles' stuff was cut using an api.

i've used an api console a few times. they're nice, but very spanky. not as lush as a neve, but good. i always seemed to use outboard 1073s and 1084 to cut, especially guitars and basses.

fwiw, the typical thiing is to use the api preamps on kick and snare. good for piano as well, now that i think about it.

Nice post friend. Yea.. That has been me as well lately. Kick, snare, on API. Cymbals on Tab preamps, Neves on overheads and room. I need to start using the Neves on the kick and see how that works out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search