The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API reference album/recording...? Consoles
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Maniac

If someone wants to give me a place to put them, I can put up some clips of all API roughs.... They're tracking roughs (pretty good ones) but there's nothing but API (Legacy Plus) there. Very minimal eqing. It'll certainly give you an idea of the sound. I don't see how you're going to get an idea of the sound after it's been mixed and mastered though.

Most of what I see is tracked on an API but then mixed SSL...

If it's mixed API it seems to need to fit a certain criteria...
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sunset Sound, a legendary studio with a long history of hits, was famous for its API consoles.
The best was before API (imo).

Bruce Botnick, Sunset Sound.
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoder
If someone wants to give me a place to put them, I can put up some clips of all API roughs.... They're tracking roughs (pretty good ones) but there's nothing but API (Legacy Plus) there. Very minimal eqing. It'll certainly give you an idea of the sound. I don't see how you're going to get an idea of the sound after it's been mixed and mastered though.

Most of what I see is tracked on an API but then mixed SSL...

If it's mixed API it seems to need to fit a certain criteria...
Wow...that would be awesome!=)

Feel free to post them here ;=)

Perhaps just make them really short, in order to keep withing the uploading limits of this forum(rather of degrading the quality).

Thanks Yoder!
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier
The best was before API (imo).

Uhhh, I think that's a Bill Putnam designed Universal Audio tube mixer, not an API.

btw, for Bruce Botnik. His engineering on Doors records was top notch.
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Uhhh, I think that's a Bill Putnam designed Universal Audio tube mixer, not an API.

Yeah, I think that's why Vernier wrote that the best was before API and posted a picture.
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsson
You see Superburtm...

As I tried to explain, this thread isn't about who is the winner and who is not! I am just sincerely interested and curious about what albums you refer to as being API sounding? Nothing more than that. Perhaps silly, but we are here because we are gear slutz...no?

In the same way as I would refer to Abbey Road or Dark Side of the Moon as to TG sounding albums.

With that I'm not saying that classic TG desks are better than anything else just because great albums were done on it.

Rob

I'm just kidding around..I''m happy to work on any nice large console..I don't care API, NEVE, SSL,Trident..whatever
Old 4th June 2006
API
Lives for gear

By the way, does anyone know how many API concoles were made in total??
I am talking about the classic years here.

My guess is that there is 10 Neves for every API, at least.

And if someone knows how many API 2488´s´were made i would be a very happy man!

//Dennis
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka
The largest console actually built by the original API, was 48 inputs with all 560 equalizers. That console was for built for Mickey Most's RAK Studios in London.
Still there.... still sounds great....!

Kestral.... congratulations you've been the first user of this forum to make me check out the 'ignore' feature.
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Head

Anything recorded at Warner Bros. Amigo Studio A (Doobie Bros., Nicolette Larson, Rickey Lee Jones...) by Lee Hershberg as well as Don Landee. Ocean Way Studio A has been mentioned, so anything recorded there in the '80's and early '90s. Anything recorded by Val Garay or Greg Ladany at Record One in the 80's like The Motels, Kim Carnes and Toto IV, which was mixed there. There have been about a bazilion (yes, that's bazillion with a "b") legendary albums recorded on A.P.I consoles. Should I get specific? OK, how about the Eagles' "Hotel California", which was done at the Record Plant. And from England, how about The Thompson Twins "Into the Gap" album. At Ocean Way, I was an enginner on Lionel Richie's "Can't Slow Down" album, which was recorded in Studio A. REM's "Automatic for the People" comes to mind also. Trust me, there's a Bazillion.
Old 5th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ettel
Anything recorded at Warner Bros. Amigo Studio A (Doobie Bros., Nicolette Larson, Rickey Lee Jones...) by Lee Hershberg as well as Don Landee. Ocean Way Studio A has been mentioned, so anything recorded there in the '80's and early '90s. Anything recorded by Val Garay or Greg Ladany at Record One in the 80's like The Motels, Kim Carnes and Toto IV, which was mixed there. There have been about a bazilion (yes, that's bazillion with a "b") legendary albums recorded on A.P.I consoles. Should I get specific? OK, how about the Eagles' "Hotel California", which was done at the Record Plant. And from England, how about The Thompson Twins "Into the Gap" album. At Ocean Way, I was an enginner on Lionel Richie's "Can't Slow Down" album, which was recorded in Studio A. REM's "Automatic for the People" comes to mind also. Trust me, there's a Bazillion.
"Hotel California" should be enough to end this discussion!
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ok, so far no one has been able to name anything good that has been done with APIs. Someone throw a fricking bone here, cause it's only reinforcing my belief that Neves are completely superior to APIs.
Maybe the songs aren't up your alley, I dunno...

But if you don't think Mary Chapin Carpenter's "Come On, Come On" record sounds good, you should get your ears checked. Not to mention the other stuff she recorded at Bias...

The Engineering Grammies usually don't get handed out to just any ol' crap.

ryan
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Engineering Grammies usually don't get handed out to just any ol' crap
No, but Hourglass did get one, and it was done on an O2R...which, I think, just shows that good engineering can transcend the equipment used, not that the O2R is a great-sounding board.

-Duardo
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo
No, but Hourglass did get one, and it was done on an O2R...which, I think, just shows that good engineering can transcent the equipment used, not that the O2R is a great-sounding board.

-Duardo
Exactly. My comment had far more to do with the quality of the recording (which was being slagged as crap by some other poster...) than with any equipment used.

ryan
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Hotel California was cut on a MCI @ Criteria,,,before they got...and sold their Legacy
We may have sold the last 2488 (from Datatronix)to a studio owned by a soybean farmer in Champaign Ill...Ray Armstrong
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Heart.......Little Queen!

Ohhh........Barracuda!!
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Huey Lewis - Sports
recorded at Fantasy Records and the Plant, Sausalito

Doobie Bros - Toulouse Street, The Captain and Me, Takin' It to the Streets
recorded at Warner/Amigo Studio A

Chris Isaak - Wicked Game
Tracked on API at Fantasy, mixed on a Neve at Amigo
http://mixonline.com/recording/inter...isaaks_wicked/

Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
Tracked on API, mixed on Trident by WW at the Record Plant, NY
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right, I said "The best was before API".

Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Journey - Escape & Frontiers
Fantasy Studios. Their two biggest albums, huge and distinctively API sounding, whatever you think of their general corporateness
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwareguy
Journey - Escape & Frontiers
Fantasy Studios. Their two biggest albums, huge and distinctively API sounding, whatever you think of their general corporateness

I like frontiers alot it was one of my first records as a kid. I gotta go back and listen
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like frontiers alot it was one of my first records as a kid. I gotta go back and listen
I think those records are great examples of how pre-production and good arrangements are the best way to create big sounds. The arrangements are very economical and as a result, there's lots of room for those sounds to be huge. It wouldn't be nearly as effective with a modern "pop" treatment with lots of crap flying in and out.

Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol, I love how every time someone thinks they've come up with an API spotting it turns out to be a Neve. Seriously, is it really that hard to come up with just one measly great album? Just one! Come on, throw me a fricking bone here. This is not helping the n00bs here that are reading. btw, Diana Krall albums are not great.
The drum tracks on Tool's "10,000 Days" were recorded through an API at Danny's request.

I'll let you decide how "great" that is in the context of this thread.

Cheers,

bdp
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G
Remember guys, it ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.
Nice quote.

This indian would love to use arrows made by API or Neve, either one.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Head

>Hotel California was cut on a MCI @ Criteria,<

Well, bands move around sometimes while recording, and since that album took about eight months to finish, the Eagles recorded at a few places. However the vast majority of the work was done in L.A. and the entire mix was done on an A.P.I. console. I worked on overdubs at Ocean Way on Don Henley's "Building the Perfect Beast" album, but the vast majority of it was done at Record One. Don Henley loves A.P.I.s so much he bought the Record Plant Sausalito console and rebuilt it after BTPB was completed. As a matter of fact, I think that was Brent Avrill's first full console rebuild job. He used that console on the "End of the Innocence" album. Fleetwood Mac did some recording for the "Rumors" album at Criteria, but most of it was done at the Record Plant in Sausalito and L.A. The album was mixed at Record Plant L.A. and Sound City. OK, here's one for you. Can anyone tell which songs were mixed on the Neve and which were mixed on the A.P.I.? The A.P.I. that was in Ocean Way Studio A came from the Record Plant's studio A. That console was Andy John's favorite, so a lot of Rolling Stones and other bands he engineered were done on it. Kenny Loggin's song "I'm Alright" for the movie "Caddieshack" was practically the first sessions we did after it was installed at Ocean Way. Sunset Sound has been mentioned and although custom boards, only A.P.I. components were used except for some of the transformers. Studio 2 was the "Van Halen" room in case anyone wants to know. Those studios have changed, but Sunset Sound Factory still has original A.P.I. consoles. The band Heart has been mentioned and their "Bad Animals" facility in Seattle had two A.P.I.s and recorded many of the big bands from there in addition to Heart records. A&M Records studios A & B had A.P.I.s in them during the late '70 and into the '80's. Geez, where do I start? As a little trivia, the Studio A console from Record One, which was replaced by the 100 input SSL G console that Dr. Dre now uses, is now owned by Herb Alpert and is in use at his home studio. Hey, let's go way back. How about Boston's "More than a Feelin'", and I think the Mamas & the Papas "California Dreamin'" was done on and A.P.I. by David Hassinger at Sound Factory. Well, since I mentioned David, I might as well add Greg Ladany and all those Jackson Brown albums he did on A.P.I.s, incuding "The Pretender". Are we up to a Bazillion yet? ;-)
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

I happened to be listening to the Pretender last night for the first time in a long time. I had forgotten what a stunning sounding album that is. Really amazing rich and dimensional.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe instead of "what does API sound like" these posts should be called "what could I aspire to be good enough to make an API sound like."
Old 6th June 2006
Motown legend

Fleetwood Mac's Rumours was tracked on an API. Rick James's later albums were recorded and mixed on an API as was Prince's first album.

Neves never became very popular in the US before their automation was introduced. I'm also sure that Mickey Most paid far more for his API than any Neve would have cost in England.
Old 6th June 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsson
Hey all=)

If somone asks you to describe the sound of API gear, which album or recording comes first to your mind?

Cheers

Rob
Anything done at The Record Plants in either Sausilito or L.A. were all API from the '60's until the early "80's when they closed 3rd Street and moved to Sycamore, now all SSL and Neve I believe. Many diverse styles and sounds from Stevie Wonder to the Eagles, and nearly anyone in between.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol, I love how every time someone thinks they've come up with an API spotting it turns out to be a Neve. Seriously, is it really that hard to come up with just one measly great album? Just one! Come on, throw me a fricking bone here. This is not helping the n00bs here that are reading. btw, Diana Krall albums are not great.
What are you like 16 years old and have never heard any good music. I don't have any knowledge or input to this conversation other than to say you are trolling my friend. Maybe you should go back and listen to some of the records that you bash in your posts. What have you done that is remotely comparable?..........................That's what I thought. Maybe you should stick to the "low end" or "moan zone".
Old 6th June 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS
Hotel California was cut on a MCI @ Criteria,,,before they got...and sold their Legacy
Only the some of the overdubs and all the mixing was done at Criteria in Studio C on the custom MCI. The basic tracks were cut in L.A. at the Record Plant on an API.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
Fleetwood Mac's Rumours was tracked on an API.
For all of those who continually ask if API's sound good on vocals. I don't know if vocals have ever sounded better than on that record (and yes I realise the singers were great, great engineer, etc.).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search