The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API reference album/recording...? Consoles
Old 3rd June 2006

Wasn't the soundtrack to the original Star Wars done on an API?
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I going from memory here, but weren't "Beggars Banquet" and “Zeppelin III” also done on the API at Sunset. I think that’s the console that T-Bone has in his house. IMHO all the records mentioned already sound pretty good. Remember guys, it ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.

Steve
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Nut

I believe Sesame Street was produced on an API for 25 years or so.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Allman Bros...most recorded on Capricorns API.
I just noticed this and was very interested by it. I had always assumed, for no good reason, that the Allman Bros had recorded their stuff at Mussel Shoals. But I was always a little confused by it since that is a Neve, and the AB's always sounded API'ish to me, especially Brothers & Sisters.

So Capricorn records had their own studio, and it had an API board in it?
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Ok, so far no one has been able to name anything good that has been done with APIs. Someone throw a fricking bone here, cause it's only reinforcing my belief that Neves are completely superior to APIs.
This is funny, I like this comment.
I cut my teeth in a studio with a Neve 8014, great console, but the studio did mainly commercials and jingles and other audio crap. If you would get to hear some of the stuff that is also done on Neve desks (besides Smashin' Pumpkins and Chilli Peppers), you would probably doubt Neve's excellence, too.
Consoles are very patient friends, they don't get angry, whatever music you throw at them.

I know of one great album, though, that has been mixed on an API console - Rockets by Chris Whitley - I think it sounds fantastic . And another one - Drift by The Devlins - that sounds awesome.
I think a lot of the end 80's, early 90's stuff by Daniel Lanois and Malcolm Burn is recorded using API gear.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Someone throw a fricking bone here, cause it's only reinforcing my belief that Neves are completely superior to APIs.
How could form a conclusion based on a message board? Working with a Neve and API literally, side by side, everyday, I can tell you that neither is "superior" to the other. The Neve does a wonderful job of kind of compressing sounds and thickening up the lower mids. Tracking and mixing on a Neve can be a battle though, as things can get muddy fast. I like mixing on the Neve for stuff that wasn't tracked on one, or, for slower, more open arrangements. The API is wonderful for making things "jump" out of the speakers. Tracking on the Neve and then mixing on the API is awesome, to me. The best way I've heard someone explain it, is that its like the Neve has built in compressors on every channel, and the API has built in expanders.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm, still no good ones, lots of grasping at straws. Wow, are API's sure are ****e.
Why all the API hate..??

What are you fishing for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
The Black Crowes had owned an API console that I sold to Les Claypool a few years back. I believe they did all of their hits on that console.
A wise man once said, "There's a reason they use this stuff to make records."
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka
Tracking on the Neve and then mixing on the API is awesome, to me.

Me too.thumbsup
Old 3rd June 2006
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Wasn't the soundtrack to the original Star Wars done on an API?
I'm pretty sure it was mixed on a Quad-Eight.
Old 3rd June 2006
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams
From speaking to Frank De Medio last year, I know that at least some of the De Medio consoles only have API EQ and not Api mic preamps, De Medio manufacturered his own...
Wally Heider's had UREI solid state pres. De Medio retrofitted them with outboard API eq. I got the impression the API cards were interchangeable with the UREIs.
Old 3rd June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
I'm pretty sure it was mixed on a Quad-Eight.
Or was it Star Trek was mixed on a Quad Eight, and Star Wars was mixed on an API?

I remember reading something about this, but now I can't remember...
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Nut

I could be wrong but I think Gregg Allman's "Laid Back" was cut and mixed on an API.
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno
Actually, the original question was:
Hey all=)

If somone asks you to describe the sound of API gear, which album or recording comes first to your mind?

You are the only one picking a fight here. What's your problem? if you don't have anything of value to contribute, why bother?

John
Thanks Paterno!

Exactly what I've been thinking!

I started this thread, but seeing where it has turned into I wish I didn't. It was defenately not to start a "API vs Neve" debate.

Also, there are so many people posting things without even knowing for sure (not just in this thread, but in general). Too many "this one may have been done on an API, perhaps" type of answers. My opinion is that if you don't know something for sure, it is better to just stand back...to avoid misleading others.

But thanks anyway!=)

/Rob
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe we should start listing what consoles were used in album credits so non-engineers can appease themselves? Cause yeah, consoles are what sell albums?
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Ummmm....nobody seemed to mention that "Stairway to Heaven" was mixed on an API.

The two newest Jimmy Eat World records sound API to me. Especially the drums. I could be wrong.

Call me crazy but I have a lot better luck with API eq's than Neve eq's. Maybe the neves I use need to be recapped. I do like the neve preamps better for most things though.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuntz
Ummmm....nobody seemed to mention that "Stairway to Heaven" was mixed on an API.

Well there you have it..I didn't know that. API wins. "Stairway to Heaven" is the most epic rock song ever recorded and it was mixed on API...calling KESTRAL calling KESTRALheh
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I remember hearing/reading that some of the Diana Krall stuff was done on an API. Those are super hi-fi recordings.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
Well there you have it..I didn't know that. API wins. "Stairway to Heaven" is the most epic rock song ever recorded and it was mixed on API...calling KESTRAL calling KESTRALheh
Mixed, not tracked.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I remember hearing/reading that some of the Diana Krall stuff was done on an API. Those are super hi-fi recordings.
I hate to fuel this fire some more, but all of Diana's records have been done on Neve consoles. Either the 8068 at Avitar, or the 8068 and VR's at Capitol. Although Al has been known to use a few API modules on those records (all the guitars on the last three records for sure). When you ask Schmitt what console he likes, his answer is, "Neve or API, both are great". Good enough for him, good enough for me.

Steve
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsochor
I believe Sesame Street was produced on an API for 25 years or so.
Yes. That console was for sale a couple of years ago on ebay. I thought long and hard on that one.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G
I hate to fuel this fire some more, but all of Diana's records have been done on Neve consoles. Either the 8068 at Avitar, or the 8068 and VR's at Capitol. Although Al has been known to use a few API modules on those records (all the guitars on the last three records for sure). When you ask Schmitt what console he likes, his answer is, "Neve or API, both are great". Good enough for him, good enough for me.

Steve
Doh. I think it was the Genius Loves Company thing that they must have been talking about.

http://www.apiaudio.com/nw_470.html
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

lol, I love how every time someone thinks they've come up with an API spotting it turns out to be a Neve. Seriously, is it really that hard to come up with just one measly great album? Just one! Come on, throw me a fricking bone here. This is not helping the n00bs here that are reading. btw, Diana Krall albums are not great.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol, I love how every time someone thinks they've come up with an API spotting it turns out to be a Neve. Seriously, is it really that hard to come up with just one measly great album? Just one! Come on, throw me a fricking bone here. This is not helping the n00bs here that are reading. btw, Diana Krall albums are not great.
To play devil's advocate, I think it would be difficult to name albums that were tracked AND mixed on an early era Neve. I believe Neve has also been around for quite a bit longer than API.

The Genius Loves Company record is a very hi-fi sounding recording and has won a ton of grammys and sold several million copies. Whether you like the music or not, that looks pretty great for API.

Here is some interesting history about API:

Up until 1978 API built approximately twenty-five forty input consoles, including several for The Record Plant studios and its remote units. Tom Flye, the chief engineer for Record Plant operations, specified all The Record Plant console layouts. In one of their remote trucks was a 44 input custom API that now belongs to Stevie Wonder. Kooster, one of their long time engineers, still in service in The Record Plant mobile owns another. A 40 input console, loaded with all 560 equalizers, went to Daniel Lanois' studio in New Orleans. Another of The Record Plant's APIs spent many years in Oceanway's studio A. This highly customized 40 input console, featuring all 550a equalizers, was used by Lionel Ritchie for much of his solo work not to mention many other mega artists.

Sunset Sound, a legendary studio with a long history of hits, was famous for its API consoles. The early Van Halen records were done here. The console at the Lodge Recording Studios came from Dreamland Recording in up-state New York. The console was aquired and transported to Indianapolis in 1993. This console is outfitted with (22)554, (8) 550A, (5)560A (3)550, (2)560B equilizers.

The largest console actually built by the original API, was 48 inputs with all 560 equalizers. That console was for built for Mickey Most's RAK Studios in London.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Doh. I think it was the Genius Loves Company thing that they must have been talking about.

http://www.apiaudio.com/nw_470.html

"Genius Loves Company" was recorded in a lot of dirrerent places, on a lot of different consoles, but that API was not one of them. Talk about false advertising.

Steve
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Genius Loves Company" was recorded in a lot of dirrerent places, on a lot of different consoles, but that API was not one of them. Talk about false advertising.

Steve
Was it mixed on the Vision?
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Was it mixed on the Vision?
Mixed on the VR at Capitol. More fuel for the fire.

Steve
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mixed on the VR at Capitol. More fuel for the fire.

Steve
Doh. What's up with API's marketing?
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
You see Superburtm...

As I tried to explain, this thread isn't about who is the winner and who is not! I am just sincerely interested and curious about what albums you refer to as being API sounding? Nothing more than that. Perhaps silly, but we are here because we are gear slutz...no?

In the same way as I would refer to Abbey Road or Dark Side of the Moon as to TG sounding albums.

With that I'm not saying that classic TG desks are better than anything else just because great albums were done on it.

Rob
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

There is a documentry on Dark side of the Moon which shows pictures of the band recording and mixing on an EMI Neve board which i seem to remember there was only 8 in the world.. but as far as API - amazing eq's - check Radiohead - Hail to the Thief, Stevie Wonder - Innervisions, Beck - Sea changes etc...
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
btw, Diana Krall albums are not great.
Well, there you have it. Neve consoles must not be great either.

-Duardo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search