The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API reference album/recording...? Consoles
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
Is that the API-ish console with the Nickel transformers? If so ... brighter.

Dave Matthews Band early albums all API?
Yes and thats the excact same console Peter Reardon modelled his nickel trannies for the Gama series pre's=yes,brighterthumbsup [you prob already know that]
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno
It was sold to Artist Direct around 2003/2004 and i'm not sure what happened to it after that...

John
Last i heard about a year ago ,it was in storage,but it might be out of retirement nowstike
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Medio consoles only have API EQ and not Api mic preamps, De Medio manufacturered his own.
Api was later, around '73. Before that it was passive shelving ...those albums sound better, more natural, imo.
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Guru

I believe Stevie Wonder had an API back in the day.."Talking Book","Innervisions",Etc.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardoso
Tchad Blake did most of his stuff-before moving to RealWorld- on API at SunsetSound, i.e. Phantom Planets "California", Los Lobos"This Time", Ron Sexsmith "Whereabouts"
It was Sound Factory Studio B, to be exact.

JP
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrograde
He engineered the first two Crowded House albums with Mitchell Froom at Sunset on that desk as well.
Tchad recorded the 2nd and 3rd Crowded House records, and did everdubs on the first, all at Sound Factory...

JP
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier
Api was later, around '73. Before that it was passive shelving ...those albums sound better, more natural, imo.
Well the Prince De Medio console with API EQ and De Medio's own preamps that I was referring to was mid 80's.
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

O.K. fine. But if one asks about recordings in which API mic pres and/or 550/560 series EQs figure prominently, you might get some different answers. There are many studios with Neves, Amek, SSL, MCI, etc. consoles that use API pres and/or EQ for various tracks and/or in various situations.

AND...I think there were ... ahem.. a few... records done at the Record Plant in New York, by the way....

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_class...eap/index.html

http://www.thelodgestudios.com/HistoryOfAPI.html
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams
Well the Prince De Medio console with API EQ and De Medio's own preamps that I was referring to was mid 80's.
I think it was late '80's actually -- '88-'89 ish. When was Purple Rain done? '82? '83? It was done at Sunset Sound [in Studio 3] and I'm pretty sure he did at least one if not two more there after that. Check out the Sunset/Sound Factory website.

Cheers,
John
Old 2nd June 2006
Motown legend

A huge percentage of US records made between 1968 and the mid '70s were made on API boards. They were replaced as clients started demanding automation and API couldn't deliver on their long-promised automation system.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

http://www.recordplantremote.com/clients/index.php

Someone else mentioned it. They recorded a Emmy Lou Harris live record, "At the Ryman." With the Nashramblers, a great band. If you want to hear country, acoustic music through api pres.

Quite a diverse collection of artists at that link.
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

Doobie Brothers. Minute by Minute.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

The Plant (formerly Record Plant) in Sausalito is now a Neve/SSL shop, but at least through the 1980's and I think much of the 90's as well it was API. Tons of people recorded there, and they have that characteristic sound.

Lots of examples here if you look at the artists from earlier periods.

http://www.plantstudios.com/discography/
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Dave Mason "Alone Together" was done on the old API at Sunset.

Steve
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
I think he bought a vintage TG console awhile back no?
I'm pretty sure most Kravitz stuff (at least the 2 first albums) were done on a Trident A range.
Old 3rd June 2006
Here for the gear

Joan Osbornes "Righteous Love" is another great Sunset Factory/ API reference recording- but maybe John Paterno put a lot of his Neve stuff in it, so it will not count.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Hmm, still no good ones, lots of grasping at straws. Wow, are API's sure are ****e.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure the Crowded House records were cut at Capitol B on the Neve, overdubed at Sunset on the API, and mixed on the SSL at Studio 55.

Steve
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm, still no good ones, lots of grasping at straws.
Thats how it is. Same with Neve ...there isn't a recording that knocks me out. On the other hand, Trident, V72/V76, ancient UA's ...I could name several fantastic sounding albums recorded with those.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardoso
Joan Osbornes "Righteous Love" is another great Sunset Factory/ API reference recording- but maybe John Paterno put a lot of his Neve stuff in it, so it will not count.
Sound Factory Studio A. 'Rental' Neve's on kick and snare, console for everything else -- i think. Maybe Neve's on the OH's as well. I ended up buying Chandler LTD's eventually. Guitars, bass, and keys through the console. Strings as well.

thanks for remembering that one!!! I was happy with the way that one sounded...

Cheers,
John
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G
I'm pretty sure the Crowded House records were cut at Capitol B on the Neve, overdubed at Sunset on the API, and mixed on the SSL at Studio 55.

Steve
The first one was done this way, not the subsequent ones. Overdubs were at the Sound Factory -- or as it is credited -- 'Sunset Sound Factory'

Cheers,
John
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Hmm, still no good ones, lots of grasping at straws. Wow, are API's sure are ****e.
Maybe you should define 'good' first. And then everyone else can debate your concept of the word. That should add a couple of hundred pages to this thread...
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Someone throw a fricking bone here, cause it's only reinforcing my belief that Neves are completely superior to APIs.

well, you could always spend a little time actually using them both, and then you'd have some experience-based knowledge which may, perhaps, serve you better than a belief.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

So why is it that on a thread where people are supposed to name great albums done with API, every time someone comes up with even a half decent album, we find out its on a Neve or some of the major components were tracked on Neve I think that pretty much says it all.
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Addict

Well this thread has cetainly taken a turn for the worse...

And I thought the Analog / Digital debates were ridiculous...
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Switchfoot --Nothing is Sound

Dylan -- Oh Mercy

I don't think most people think of either of these albums as "****e". They are quite amazing sounding in very different styles.

Part of the problem is that it's very hard to track back to exactly what album was tracked where. Some of the biggest API studios, such as the Record Plant in NY, are no longer around, so it's hard to validate even on the Internet whether Born to Run or Darkness on the Edge of Town or a hundred other major albums that were tracked there were tracked on API's.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
So why is it that on a thread where people are supposed to name great albums done with API, every time someone comes up with even a half decent album, we find out its on a Neve or some of the major components were tracked on Neve I think that pretty much says it all.
Actually, the original question was:
Hey all=)

If somone asks you to describe the sound of API gear, which album or recording comes first to your mind?

You are the only one picking a fight here. What's your problem? if you don't have anything of value to contribute, why bother?

John
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Since you are in London check RAK studios which has been going for many years with a vintage API console, also Radioheads last Lp, Razorlight Lp, last Air Lp & Beck's 2nd last Lp (sorry terrible with names), most Nigel godrich production stuff...
Old 3rd June 2006
Rick James-"Street Songs"
Old 3rd June 2006

The Black Crowes had owned an API console that I sold to Les Claypool a few years back. I believe they did all of their hits on that console.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search