The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone experience with Tube Tech CL1B Compressor ? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Addict

Anyone experience with Tube Tech CL1B Compressor ?

I'm thinking of buying this - I did like the sound of the big Tube Tech multiband compressor ...

I would like to use this unit mainly while tracking vocals, percussion and electronic instruments like Rhodes, Moogs and guitar.

How would it compare to the Portico 5043 and the Drawmer 1968 ?

Curious about your experiences/ thoughts
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Excellent on vocals.

Haven't tried the portico or the 1968 so can't compare.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

lol....i once did a whole CD. tracking with the CL1b and mixing. (At that time...all i had was CL1 b...finalizer...and dbx 160a) I used a Focusrite Red 6 pre and the Cl1b on vocals , acoustic guitar, elec. guitar, mini moog, and Gerald Veasly's bass.

That compressor is stupid Phat!! The C.d. came out smokin.

It's funny what you can do with minimal amounts of equipment, when forced to
(It makes you become creative by force) as opposed to having all the gear you want.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Nut

Do Tube Tech compressors like the CL1B sound anything like the Pendulum compressors (OCL-2)?
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
I'm thinking of buying this - I did like the sound of the big Tube Tech multiband compressor ...

I would like to use this unit mainly while tracking vocals, percussion and electronic instruments like Rhodes, Moogs and guitar.

How would it compare to the Portico 5043 and the Drawmer 1968 ?

Curious about your experiences/ thoughts
I've got the CL2B and 1968. IMO, they are totally oposite animals. The 1968 is dirty and agressive. The CL2B is transparent, yet still adds a "bigness" to the sound.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Guru

Try the Cl1B with diff tubes[I went the Mullard route] thumbsup Also do a search..loads of info
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadworthy
Do Tube Tech compressors like the CL1B sound anything like the Pendulum compressors (OCL-2)?
The TT sounds more "vintagey" and "toobey" to my ears, although they're also pretty quiet. I am in love with the Pendulum stuff, because it is a perfect balance of subtle tube warmth (more subtle than a TubeTech) and modern specs for detail, noise-floor and headroom.

Both are very nice and quite musical. Both are built like tanks.

If I could buy anything tho, I'd get a Pendulum ES-8 Vari-Mu. Oh so sweet!heh
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Guru

i have a CL1B and i LOVE it. I use it mainly for vocals, every now and again for bass. I went the upgraded Mullard tubes route as well. Couldn't be happier.
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

I've got one... I love it on vocals and on bass. I haven't tried changing the tubes to Mullards yet, though, I hear that is even better. For now I'm thrilled with it as is.

As for how it compares to the Portico 5043 and the Drawmer 1968... I'm don't know - haven't tried them. From what I've heard, I get the impression they are very different beasts.

McBalls
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Addict

CL1B is a gem. I've not found a mono source I can't make sound better with it. Percussive instruments with sustain can be a little fiddly but the HOLD feature makes them work too.

On bass guitar the bypass is the suck button...
Old 3rd June 2006
has anyone compared this to a new UA LA2A? i'm trying to decide which to get...
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey
has anyone compared this to a new UA LA2A? i'm trying to decide which to get...
We both are in the same boat. I'm decided for the LA3a but I would like to get a CL1b or an LA2a too.

Gear Addict

Quote:
has anyone compared this to a new UA LA2A?
I have a DIY stereo LA2a with original UTC transformers and every part NOS I could find. I've also done a vocal session with the new UA LA2a.

I was impressed with the reissue but mine sounds a little greasier. I'd be shocked if all the parts were carbon comp and top of the line but I didn't look under the hood of the reissue, I must admit. All my parts were military grade where possible.

I recommend the LA2a reissue though, it's a nice box, but the CL1B still is a different animal.

The LA2a has a more invisible compression with a greater sonic footprint.

The CL1B can sound invisible compressing but also does great pumping effects due to the attack and release controls. The sonic footprint is more neutral compared to the LA2a but has a fattening effect also. It's a color compressor for sure but a flatter response than the LA2a. The LA2a cuts the lows a little bit while the CL1B preserves and even kinda extends it.

I've been asked if I ever think my two optical tube compressors are redundant. I answer no.
Old 4th June 2006
Wilcofan, thanks so much for that!
i feel better about the LA2A, as i want to get it for vox/horns more than bass. from what i understand, the reissues have less of the low end 'bloom' than the oldies - and from what you're saying, the CL1B as well - but that's fine with me.
i need a comp that is totally forgiving, something i can abuse without it sounding abused... for more violent-sounding stuff i have the C2 and the distressor...again thanks.
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Addict

Ricey,

If you want forgiving then you've made the right choice. Two knobs is always nice.

Now that I have filled out my gear a bit I sometimes forget the LA2a was my first real personal piece. I'd done lots of work in decked-out studios but had nothing at home when I went digital after bands started getting strange about high analog fees.

When my dad and I finished the two-channels of LA2a (along with another for a friend) I couldn't believe what it did to my tracking. For a couple of years it was the only compressor I had and I forgot I lacked until I found Gearslutz!
fuuck

The only thing I don't like it on now is still bass and 1-foot-plus distant kick mics. Horns, vocals, snares, acoustics, electrics, they all work.

The UA reissues have their caveats but the LA2a I used was nice. It was an early one and unfortunately that's one of the caveats with their stuff. I have no idea what current models are like and I can't admit to trusting their consistency.
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Addict

Guys ... thanks for all your comments

I decided to buy the CL1B - I ordered it today ! - I just really loved that sound from the big multiband Tube Tech - Also, I like the interface...

Next on the compressor-list would be the Portico 5043 to have something different & stereo ...

So long

MDM
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Addict

CL1B is the bomb on vocals...

I can't say I've tried the other things you're asking to compare it to, but I really wish I still had regular access to the CL1B. Life was much easier with that in the rack.

ryan
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Addict

you guys use it while tracking ?

I imagine using it while tracking ... to get a nice loud signal going on .. also on acoustic guitars ...
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
you guys use it while tracking ?
Absolutely.

Get it to carve 3 or 4db off the vocal on a line with average oomph. It'll come down harder on loud parts, and will let the soft stuff through.

I never regretting printing it to tape (disk.)

ryan
Old 25th June 2006
Gear Addict

Great man

I started working with in now - what a sound !!!! - very nice indeed

Anyone experience with bussing it to another CL1B to create a Stereo-compressor ??? EG for on the mix ?
Old 25th June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
Great man

I started working with in now - what a sound !!!! - very nice indeed

Anyone experience with bussing it to another CL1B to create a Stereo-compressor ??? EG for on the mix ?

I've done it a few times on slower/sparser tunes on the drum buss and stereo buss
..very nicethumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search