The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DBX 165 vs Distressor on mixing Bass
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

DBX 165 vs Distressor on mixing Bass

I had a similar thread on bass compressors and these two showed up almost more than any. Anyway, I have narrowed these down, but am curious who would pick one over the other SPECIFICALLY for mixing bass and why...not so much because you have one or the other, but if you had a choice.

Not looking for diversity or even orall love for a compressor, just Bass guitar duties, which is THE choice between the two.

Love to know.

Thanks,

-a

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

I have both and like both of them on bass depending on the track. Tone-wise, I think the Distressor has more options (different ratios on the Distressor have slightly different tone; the 6:1 sounds Neve-ish, Opto emulates an LA-2/3 vibe). The different distortion settings on the Distressor can add some needed hair to cut through a mix. So if you can't afford both right now, I'd go with Dr Derr's magic box.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson
I have both and like both of them on bass depending on the track. Tone-wise, I think the Distressor has more options (different ratios on the Distressor have slightly different tone; the 6:1 sounds Neve-ish, Opto emulates an LA-2/3 vibe). The different distortion settings on the Distressor can add some needed hair to cut through a mix. So if you can't afford both right now, I'd go with Dr Derr's magic box.

Thank you, so the Distressor for it's versatility, but you've like the DBX 165 on the right tracks.

How often do you go to the 165 versus the Distressor? Maybe a better question is, what kind of sound or song amkes you reach for the DBX 165?

Got it, thanks!

-a
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

The dbx is best when I don't want to add much character or color to the track, as when the player's tone is good and I just want to manage the dynamics. The 165, like almost all comps, has a sonic signature but it's not as drastic as what you can get with the Distressor.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

DBX 165 is a secret weapon. Infinite:1 ratio. AUTO Atk/Release. For me, ALWAYS.

I think this unit sounds much better when it's pegged to about 15-20 dB of Gain reduction. The Auto attack/release sounds smoother when it's working in this area. But at infinite:1 ratio, doesen't that just flatten it? Yes.....but in a great way. The makeup gain on this unit also seems pretty clean so I don't hesitate to use it.........
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I prefer the Distressor for rock bass.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search