The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
First Nice Compressor
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Nut

First Nice Compressor

Knowing what you guys know NOW--If you were to buy ONE compressor to use specifically for tracking vocals, acoustic guitar, upright piano, occasional electric guitar, occasional snare, and possibly some entry-level mastering, what would you buy with a budget of $3000.

Obviously I would prefer to audition many things and let my ears decide, but where I live, this is simply not possible.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Addict

I just put a deposit on a TL Pro P38 for my home studio. Check it out - a great value, extremely versatile and quality comp.

It's not a brand name classic - but it does have Ted Fletcher pedigree and all reports I've seen have been outstanding.

Rez
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

LA2A, 1176, Distressor

Take your pick.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

If you want agressive and colorful, a pair of Purple Audio MC77s will run you about $3200.

If you want clean and pristine, the Pendulum Audio ES-8 is around $3000.

I'd feel naked without my Drawmer 1968 though, so I'd save up $300 more and get the '68 AND the MC77. heh
Old 1st June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadworthy
Knowing what you guys know NOW--If you were to buy ONE compressor to use specifically for tracking vocals, acoustic guitar, upright piano, occasional electric guitar, occasional snare, and possibly some entry-level mastering, what would you buy with a budget of $3000.

You've got some delicate acoustic instruments in there, along with mastering....I'd look at a clean opto with variable attack/release or one of the comps that Crane Song make. I just don't see an 1176-type or Distressor as being a good choice, or an La2a which is mostly a one trick pony and doesn't link in stereo well.

My recommendations:

Buzz Audio SOC1.1
Pendulum Audio OCL-2
Crane Song Trakker pair
Crane Song STC-8
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Nut

Thanks for the tip on the P38. Should be amazingly versatile... The only unit I've been able to demo has been the Manley ELOP, and considering what I had to compare it to (nothing) it sounded warm and interesting, really sweetening up my tracks. It was priced very well (under 2K), but having nothing to compare it to and being somewhat bewildered by the very limited amount of variable controls, I decided to research more and look for folks better versed in this than me--YOU! Please speak up...
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

I agree with Nathan here, although my first two choices would be 2xTrakkers or a STC8 if you're looking for a "swiss army" type stereo/dual comp
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Guru

whiter -> stc8.

greyer -> 33609.

amberer -> 2500.

silverer -> c2.

beigier -> vari-mu.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 1st June 2006
Trp
Gear Addict

Tube Tech CL1b (used) + Drawmer 1968 could fit your budget.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

STC-8 or pair of trakkers too...could not go wrong with that.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

I like Nathan's suggestion and second the position on either Trakker pair or Distressors. Both designs are incredibly flexible and are a great, solid choice.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Nut

If I were to increase the compressor budget from $3000 to $4000, then would there be a considerably more obvious choice for my particular situation?
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

For 3k you could get 30 Behringer Autocoms... :-)

Under 3k is hard- there are a lot of options just over 3k.

I'd look at a pair of MC77's or a Summit DCL200.

JR
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

Hmmm...My stereo ADL, then....SSL G series...Vari-mu.....2-1176 then my E-lop. Thats how I Rate mine. The ADL was my first real Comp. so it kinda taught me alot so it does have that special vibe for me....
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Between 3-4k it's maybe better to take 2 compressors or 2ch + 1ch for more tracking options

Portico compressor + Distressor
TFPro P38 + SPL Kultube
Buzz SOC + Purple MC 77
Old 21st July 2006
Lives for gear

Summit DCL-200 or a Focusrite Red 3. Great sounding comps!!!
Old 21st July 2006
Lives for gear

A pair of Dakings.....

A pair of Dakings.....

A pair of Dak......

A p.. o... Da...

p... D..

(my best visualization of an echo for emphasis)
Old 21st July 2006
Gear Addict

Spending that kind of money, you almost can't go wrong. Here's my list...

Tube Tech CL 1B or LCA 2B

Pair of Purple Audio MC77's

Pair of Distressors

LA-2A (Vintage...not UA)
Old 21st July 2006
Lives for gear

For all the tracking duties you mentioned I'd say the Buzz audio soc 1.1 is an excellent choice for vox and acoustic guitar.For main stereo buss Es8 can get a little thick sounding for clean ambiant music (great for fatter sounds though), where the Buzz excells at not destroying delicate reverbs. I used my Buzz on a mixdown today instead of my es8, as the es8 was just not right for that song. The buzz soc is a great comp, even better as its reasonably priced compared to other comps. I think the buzz is one of the most musically friendly comps I've bought.

Heath

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search