The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sluttiest Snare Sound You've Gotten?
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Damn did I kill this thread with my last reply? Was it that bad ?

Well, sorry
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie
ok... here's a clip of a track I engineered and mixed.
This is one of my personal fav snare sounds I've gotten.
60's Slingerland> 57, 1073...API 560>Radar24. OH's 87's >1084's >2254 Radar24.

Not mastered.
I like this one.

Very nice!
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Head

audix i-5! cant go wrong imo
Old 29th November 2006
Lives for gear

Mike C,
Those drums tracks sound beautiful!
I love the kick and snare, mind sharing the signal path with us?
Would love to know ehat mics are on the kit.
Keep up the good work.thumbsup
Oz
Old 1st December 2006
Probably the following:

Kick - 1073 - transient designer
Radio Shack woofer - DI box to Amek pre - transient designer
Snare Top - 1073 - transient designer
Snare Bottom - Portic 5012 - transient designer
OH Chander TG Channel MKI - ES-8 or Chandler LTD-2
Rooms TG-2 - Lil Freq - TG-1
Mono Room - 1073 w/75dB gain - Distressor (Nuke)
Toms - Neve 1272
HH - Pendulum Quartet II

Tape - Radar Nyquist - PT HD.

ProAc Studio 100s in a Bob Hodas tuned control room.
Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

I don't have a clip cause the record is still being cut. But I got a bunch of great snare tones a couple weeks ago. The chizzain was -

Great player - SM57 - BAE 1084 - Pultec EQP1S - Digidesign 192 I/O - PT HD v7.?

I guess it's simple, but the Pultec makes it kinda slutty, right?

-Aaron
Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

how do you like this sound... it's an odery (custom made brazilian snare) 10" picollo+ a sampled snare. recorded with a km145 on snare. i loved the bark on that tiny snare....

the drummer is luiz bertoni.

http://studio.taturana.com/gearslutz/sevenedit.mp3

it's an edit from a cue in the soundtrack we wrote for the long feature movie "Jogo da Velha" de frederico cardoso.
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Nut

My snare sluttiness

Hey everybody. I've been trollin around here for a while and figured it was time to post! My band Sidewise just got this mix back and we're pretty impressed!

The snare is a Tama Starclassic Exotix. It's a 14x6.5 drum with 7 plies of Bubinga and an outter ply of ebony, pure beauty! (Sonically and visually).

Signal chain- 57 on top, Beta 57 on bottom> Neve channel strip > Protools > Mixed on an SSL 4056 E/G back to protools > Mastered on the Neve Centerpiece Mastering System.

Enjoy!
Attached Files

01 Teaser.mp3 (5.23 MB, 509 views)

Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

Do fake drums count?

I cut real ones everyday. I'll try to find my favorite for a sample, but in the meantime here's the kit that I play everyday while surfing gearslutz. It's fun to tweak it out, and I've built many different-sounding kits using different processing alone.

Current favorite incarnation: DFH original with ayotte snare through Blockfish compressor and Waves SSL channel, then bussed through another SSL channel and SSL bus comp with all the drums. Too compressed, but they're fun as hell to play.

By the way, this is a completely unedited so forgive the playing (though I must say I don't think I groove too bad for a white boy on keys )
Attached Files

DFHSSL.mp3 (648.5 KB, 411 views)

Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by absrec View Post
I don't have a clip cause the record is still being cut. But I got a bunch of great snare tones a couple weeks ago. The chizzain was -

Great player - SM57 - BAE 1084 - Pultec EQP1S - Digidesign 192 I/O - PT HD v7.?

I guess it's simple, but the Pultec makes it kinda slutty, right?

-Aaron
I guess I should also mention the Coles 4038s on the room. That's what really made the snare sound. Even sluttier!
Old 1st December 2006
LOL
Here for the gear

My snare :
5x14 Yamaha maple custom vintage finish
top -> audio technica atm23he -> SSL Xlogic
bottom -> sm57 -> SSL Xlogic
DW drums.
Attached Files

drums.mp3 (603.6 KB, 415 views)

Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

this is another example of a slutty snare sound....for a television soundtrack we had to simulate a brazilian axe music band (they use many drums snares, timbales, at least two surdos) except that we had a couple of hours to do so (tipycal tv deadline) and only a drummer. a good one at least.

since i was trying to simulate a whole band with each player playing single instruments what we did was. we miked a big metal snare with a km145 on top, a beta 57a on bottom and two oktava-mkl2500 for room amb... 4 mics for one snare...which was then overdubbed many times.....

this is what it sounded like. the drummer is césar conti.

http://studio.taturana.com/gearslutz/sluttysnares.wav
Old 4th December 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
You can check out any album by the Roots for an example of live drums that pop in the mix. I recommend illadelph halflife or things fall apart.

D
Thank you Dor! 'Things Fall Apart' is an incredible album, some of the best drum sounds i've ever heard. That album takes drum recording to such a high level.. I wish more bands [and engineers] put their energies into that kind of experimentation!
Old 24th December 2006
Lives for gear

Here is a big fat rock drum sound using drum samples, first solo drums, then original drums, and THEN the mix comes in... so be patient. I like drums FAT and BIG.

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/stevenslate9.mp3 14 x 6.5 steel snare tuned medium

this one is more of a long, thuddy, snarey, smack... again, its sample

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/stevenslate4.mp3 14 x 6 maple tuned medium

and then a nice woody maple crack:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/stevenslate5.mp3 14 x 5.5 maple tuned tight

Some of my favorite sounding drums are from most of the Deftones albums, as well as Nirvana Nevermind, and SoundGarden SuperUnknown. All very different, but all of them rock!
Old 29th December 2006
Gear Nut

I absolutely love an old ludwig or slingerland snare... the old ones from the 60s with reinforced hoops. With an emperor or thicker head it's nice and dry... loosen the snares just a tad for some extra dirt, tune it right (not too tight) and match that with a great room you'll get an amazingly slutty "vintagy" rock snare sound.

AND YOU GOTTA HIT THE CRAP OUT OF IT!!! haha.
Old 30th December 2006
Lives for gear

Snare Sound

Seek_and_You_May_Find.mp3 Here is an mp3 rough mix from my new CD. The track is UNMASTERED. Drum kit is a vintage mid 1960's Ludwig set with a chrome snare. This was recorded in a small but live sounding 12 x 12 room with 3 mics. 2 Neumann U87's for overheads and 1 Neumann U77 in the front of the kick drum about 2 1/2 feet in front of outer head (which is on the drum) aimed at the beater. Overheads are 1 U87 directly on top of the snare about 4 feet above it and the other U87 is over the outer edge of the floor top about 4 1/2 feet above it but pointed at the wing tom. All 3 mics are going through vintage Telefunken V376 mic pres directly to an Alesis HD24 hard disk recorder. I am mixing through a (non-slutty) Mackie 8 bus board and all three drum tracks have eq on them from outboard Siemens made Filtek MK3 modules from the 1970's. There is NO compression of any kind on the drums.

J. Mike Perkins
jmikeperkins.com
Old 31st December 2006
Gear Maniac

Im a little hesitant to play along here but this latest mix I feel the snare is almost where I want it and am pretty happy with so far.

We just tracked the bass guitar last night so things are not mixed yet but here is a short clip so far.

A little about this project. These kids are 17-20. Pretty talented IMHO.
They hired my friend Dave from the band Silent Drive to do the drums.
(Noble cooley kit with a 14" x 7" (i think? It was huge) snare)
Attached Files

TF06short.mp3 (947.1 KB, 486 views)

Old 3rd January 2014
Gear Nut
Its not my work but I just heard One Headlight on the radio. I love that snare sound.
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

how to get a fat snare sound

it seems to me the key to a fat snare sound is the room mics

a few techniques that can be used...

-1176 all buttons in style compression on the room mic

-key input on the room mic set to the input of the snare drum...

-stereo ribbon or condenser 3-6 feet in front of the drum kit in blumlein compressed going in and compressed again during mixdown.

of course the snare drum has to be good and the drummer has to be good...assuming you have that taken care of.....

the close miked dynamic signal isn't going to be the deciding factor
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Dry 70s snare sound I got this week:

Snare is an acrolyte I think, but really could've been anything. Mic'd with $79 Sterling ST-31 into m-audio fast track interface. No compression, but tons of EQ, exciter and clipping.
Old 4th January 2014
Lives for gear

The snare sounds on Coldplay's album "A Cold Rush of Blood to the Head" are some of the best I have ever heard. For my taste anyway. Its all subjective..I would love to know the particulars on those snare tracks. It doesn't sound like there were more than a few snares used...
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasson View Post
Its not my work but I just heard One Headlight on the radio. I love that snare sound.
Absolutely agree... Loved the production on that whole record. 6th Ave heartache sounds great too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search