The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sluttiest Snare Sound You've Gotten?
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan
Indie,

Nice mix! Those guitars...sounds like Telecasters or Strats. Did you mike them with 57's or e609s?

The snare was cool too!

Brad

Hey thanks Brad! You are correct...Telecaster doubled --Good ear! 57 on one, Royer on the other...both through 1073's/1176.
The drummer is really great, so obviously that made a difference with the drums!heh
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdyrocker
Indie, you get a 10 on the Slutty-O-Meter for multiple reasons.

First...that is a delicious sounding snare. I have a Slingerland kit from 78 (no original snare though) and I love Slingerland drums. I am glad you posted this.
Second...Radar. Enough said. You can smack a Radar pretty hard and it comes out so alive sounding. Long live Radar systems.

Good work.
Thanks Nerdyrocker....you GOTTA love vintage kits. They make recording so much easier assuming they're in good shape, tuned right, drummer hits like a man etc.
heh
I see a lot of fellow Virginians around..nice!
Old 2nd June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie
ok... here's a clip of a track I engineered and mixed.
This is one of my personal fav snare sounds I've gotten.
60's Slingerland> 57, 1073...API 560>Radar24. OH's 87's >1084's >2254 Radar24.

Not mastered.
Totally nice snare slutness! Love it! heh That rang me up about a 9! With mastering, that could reach the edge, if the mastering guy was asked to pull a touch more crack out of it. I was amazed at what a mastering engineer was able to do with a snare in a mix a while back when I asked him to do just that- very subtly.

EDIT: also indie, just noticed your profile says Charlottesville/LA?? I think you meant VA? Also, went to your myspace page and whoaza! How bout that snare on "Special" ? That pegged my slutmeter, for sure. But then again you guys are signed and got access to the bigtime. Where you guys record that- Crystalphonic by any chance?
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Nut

I really really like the snare sound on my bands song The Next Morning

The real snare doesn't come in until about 2:05 or so. My guitar wanking fades out towards the end so you can get a slightly better idea.

I am no audio expert and I am highly jealous of some of the much sluttier gear I have to compete with you'll also have to excuse the horrible bitrate, it takes a lot from the mix but all that said...
Attached Files

The Next Morning Mast.mp3 (3.93 MB, 550 views)

Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey thanks Brad! You are correct...Telecaster doubled --Good ear! 57 on one, Royer on the other...both through 1073's/1176.
The drummer is really great, so obviously that made a difference with the drums!heh
Ah yes...57 on the right and R121 on the left guitar. I hear it now. I'm going to be recording a band in a couple weeks and the guy plays a Tele Custom. I think you just convinced me to bust out my 57's again. It's been a while...

Are you in Charlottesville? I went to school at UVA.

Brad
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman22
EDIT: also indie, just noticed your profile says Charlottesville/LA?? I think you meant VA? Also, went to your myspace page and whoaza! How bout that snare on "Special" ? That pegged my slutmeter, for sure. But then again you guys are signed and got access to the bigtime. Where you guys record that- Crystalphonic by any chance?
Yeah it does say that on the profile doesn't it....well we moved to Charlottesville about 1 year ago from LA, but we still go out there and to Nashville A LOT. Our publisher is in those towns, so for writing and production stuff we go.

That track I posted was recorded in Houston and mixed at our studio on my little Midas board.

As far as "Special" on our myspace site, that was when we were on Columbia mixed by Tom Lord Alge. He definitely makes things smack!
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yeah it does say that on the profile doesn't it....well we moved to Charlottesville about 1 year ago from LA, but we still go out there and to Nashville A LOT. Our publisher is in those towns, so for writing and production stuff we go.

That track I posted was recorded in Houston and mixed at our studio on my little Midas board.

As far as "Special" on our myspace site, that was when we were on Columbia mixed by Tom Lord Alge. He definitely makes things smack!
Wow man, I'm really impressed with your stuff. I'm trying to remember where I've heard "Special" before, then again, maybe I don't want to admit where I've heard it...
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Sluttiest snare sound? Royer SF-12 stereo mic for overheads + SM57 on both top and bottom of snare. All mics went into Neve 1272's no compression right onto tape, with the overheads going into silver face blue badge 1176's. Such a simple setup but so powerful. I can't say enough good things about the Royer mic for overheads and how the SM57s just work for snare.

For those curious, the kick was AKG D112, toms were 421's also all going into Neve 1272.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sluttiest Snare Sound You've Gotten?
Great thread..thumbsup
For me..most snare/drum sounds are just perfect when the particular session is in progress. Listening back months or years later...is a whole different story.
Here are two samples from a current album, I'm working on >>
Great pro drummer, with some ancient metal shell Ludwig snare. 421 on top > Amek 9098> PT. Touch of board EQ and Valley 610 in the mix.
Attached Files

ACclip1.mp3 (750.4 KB, 655 views)

ACclip2.mp3 (835.0 KB, 524 views)

Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Hi lemix,

Nice, I'm inspired, when I get home I'll see if I can dig up the old Pro Tools session and bounce out a clip.

In the meantime, I was wondering, was there verb on your drum tracks? I tend to like my drums much drier and upfront, but was curioius whether your sound was a function of adding verb afterwards or mic'ing in a way that lends itself to that kind of more ambient less in-your-face sound.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Kestral,
Quote:
I was wondering, was there verb on your drum tracks?
Hell yeah..
I mix totally different perspectives for each project. The producer and myself went for wet on this one..Lots of natural room, and a fair dose of Lex 300 + KSP-8.
Up next is a young and talented ska band..thinking close to bone dry on that one..

>>we should do that Guinness TO Slutz thang...<<
Old 2nd June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemix
Great thread..thumbsup
For me..most snare/drum sounds are just perfect when the particular session is in progress. Listening back months or years later...is a whole different story.
Great pro drummer, with some ancient metal shell Ludwig snare. 421 on top > Amek 9098> PT. Touch of board EQ and Valley 610 in the mix.
Holy gearslutz! That's a METAL snare? Sweeeet! I coulda sworn it was wood, the way it's eq'd/processed. Sounds warm to my ears, and punchy as hell. 9.3! One reason I asked for it in context is because it's one thing to get a kickass sound with a sparse arrangement, but a whole other thing to get it to stay clear in a mix with lots going on. And indie's tune "Special" illustrates this quite nicely. If you'll listen past the point of the vocals/drums, to when everything else comes in, notice how that snare stays clear as a bell in that dense mix!
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Holy gearslutz! That's a METAL snare? Sweeeet! I coulda sworn it was wood, the way it's eq'd/processed.
This was the one, sorry I don't know the make/name..
Attached Thumbnails
Sluttiest Snare Sound You've Gotten?-snare.jpg  
Old 3rd June 2006
Dor
Lives for gear

coming from a rap/r&b background, all those snares sound pretty wimpy. I guess if it fits the style of music ... I prefer a nice thick wack on my snare & not so much reverb which tends to take away any balls the snare drum might have. Just my .02
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor
coming from a rap/r&b background, all those snares sound pretty wimpy. I guess if it fits the style of music ... I prefer a nice thick wack on my snare & not so much reverb which tends to take away any balls the snare drum might have. Just my .02
Probably not the fairest comparison, seeing that Rap drums generally are not live recordings, but layered samples locked to a grid. I imagine you ruffled a few feathers on that one. heh
Old 3rd June 2006
I don't know that these are the sluttiest or best, but they're were up on the baord when I read this, so they were the easiest to post....
Attached Files

Drums.mp3 (2.37 MB, 546 views)

DrumsInContext.mp3 (2.37 MB, 448 views)

Old 3rd June 2006
I'm not sure how to up load these
Old 3rd June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey
I'm not sure how to up load these
when writing your reply scroll down a lttle bit and there is a "manage attachments" button

narco
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Guru

Not exactly slutty .. a beatup Ludwig Acrolite snare I got at a pawnshop for 40 bucks..
and 60's ludwig kit I used yesterday.
Attached Files
File Type: aif Tyrant drum sample.aif (3.32 MB, 434 views)
Old 3rd June 2006
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt Thrower
Probably not the fairest comparison, seeing that Rap drums generally are not live recordings, but layered samples locked to a grid. I imagine you ruffled a few feathers on that one. heh
Yeah I guess I wasn't totally fair. Just seems alot of the snares were getting lost in the busy arrangments. Rock on!!
Old 3rd June 2006
After several tries I was ony able to get the second file uploaded into the original post rather thana new one.

I use the instrumental for the "In Context" version sinces the lyrics aren't in English.
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemix
Great thread..thumbsup

Nice sound brother, Maybe we should drumagog The Knockouts..... tutt
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

There's a drum company in Portland, Oregon called Allegra Drums. Matt Chamberlain turned me onto their snare drums and it never fails to make me happy.

I also love my reissued black beauty, tuned hi or low... amazing drum.

http://allegradrums.com/
Old 3rd June 2006
The Distressor's "daddy"

Nice sound lemix

Great natural sound! Sounds like quite a bit of compression, perhaps on the overheads or room. Do you think you will use that much room in final mix?

Recently we had a party at our house and there was a band set up at the mouth of our garage. I wasnt paying specific attention but all night I noticed how great the snare sounded no matter where I was drinking....errr.... standing. At the end of the night I went up and saw it was a Drum Workshop 5" or 5.5" job. Sometimes you actually get what you pay for. If it sounded that good live no matter where you stood, I bet it would have recorded wonderfully.

Also, one technical observation, on the fadeouts, especially on the second sample, the high end disappears on the fade. Ive heard this before. Have any idea what that is? MP3 residue? That kind of stuff makes me nervous.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor
I personally can't think of one rap or R&B song that has a snare sound that sounds like a person playing a drum kit in a room. Can someone point out some examples?
Brad
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor
coming from a rap/r&b background...
See, there's your problem right there
Old 3rd June 2006
Quote:
I personally can't think of one rap or R&B song that has a snare sound that sounds like a person playing a drum kit in a room. Can someone point out some examples?
Brad
What about this? This is kind of a rap song...

Some Tama kit - 2 Manley ref C on entire kit (1 near the BD, 1 near the Snare) - 1073 clone - PT.

Mix: PT - Neve V3 - entire kit parallelled through 2 distressors + some Valley dynamite on snare.

Sorry, lyrics in Swedish...
Attached Files

Mel Sample1.mp3 (646.5 KB, 457 views)

Old 4th June 2006
Ooh... I didn´t think the song was SO bad that it would totally kill the thread.
Kind of funny...
also... 15 views and no comments.
I still love the s**t. However, it´s probably better if you get the lyrics. There´s a reason that the vocal part is kinda loud.

Maybe it´s not the sluttiest sound I´ve gotten... But it sounds kind of funny.

Best/O
Old 4th June 2006
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Brad
You can check out any album by the Roots for an example of live drums that pop in the mix. I recommend illadelph halflife or things fall apart.

D
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Ok, completely different style of music here, but I really dig the sound I got with this gospel recording. First file is the (mastered) mix that made it onto the album. Second file is a quick remix (with Some UAD PL) after I received my Waves SSL plugins . Snare chain: top: SM57->Portico 5012->8X96, bottom: AKG CK91->Mil.Media HV3->8X96 (barely used though, but gives just a little highend clarity)
Attached Files

OneWordAlbum.mp3 (638.9 KB, 412 views)

OneWordSSL.mp3 (645.8 KB, 326 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search