The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Distressors... Anything just as good in the same price range..?
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Addict

Distressors... Anything just as good in the same price range..?

I've got a pair of Distressors ,
I need another pair of compressors for my room.
I want to buy another pair of distressors only because I dont know of another pair as flexible and multi purpose in the same price range.
I paid 2500 for the pair with the british mod.
I would like to stay in the same price range.
(btw) i dont mind another set of distressors, but maybe there is something else out there that I should take a look at.

Does anyone have any suggestions( based on experience?)
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS...(BASED ON EXPERIENCE)
Yes - turn your caps lock off. Typing in all upper case is considered to be SHOUTING and is usually reserved for when you want to YELL and people to upset them.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger
Yes - turn your caps lock off. Typing in all upper case is considered to be SHOUTING and is usually reserved for when you want to YELL and people to upset them.

oops, didnt know i was shouting, I never took a typing etiquette course.......
been too busy doing the music thing.
I hope thats better...
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Maniac

I don't personally have experience with them, but I am looking at getting a pair of Daking compressors:

http://daking.com/New%20Site%20by%20...rlos/comp.html

From reports I've heard, they're very nice pieces, and they're roughly in the price range you're talking about.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Addict
jeepers... for 2400 there are some great stereo/dual mono boxes out there that stomp...
Alan Smart C1 or 2
API 2500
chandler stuff - oo la la
pair of used 1176s? (early UA)
even a used ssl (tho stereo only)
Joe Meek sc2 AND some LA4s?
do a search...
there's a ton of options.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Let's see, for options to consider in that range, I like:

Portico Comp
Daking Comp
Drawmer 1968
API 2500
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

-brian
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Addict

I just put a deposit on a TF Pro P38. I've heard great things! Can't do duel mono, but other than that, give's you tons of flexibility. Would save you some cash too - plus is great on the mix bus as well as for tracking.

Rez
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
Let's see, for options to consider in that range, I like:

Portico Comp
Daking Comp
Drawmer 1968
API 2500

i'm gonna look into the daking's, unfortunately i dont have a lot of experience with outboard compressors, i got the distressors strictly based on the fact that everyone has a pair in thier rack so it was a no brainer. I already have a manley vari-mu that i really like as my bus compressor so i dont think the 2500 is what i need, but i do hear good things about the portico as well.... thanks for the input.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear
I haven't heard them personally, but if they sound anything like what they claim (and I know a lot of people who like them), the Chandler LTD-2 is a really inexpensive Neve 2254 style compressor.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejook
I haven't heard them personally, but if they sound anything like what they claim (and I know a lot of people who like them), the Chandler LTD-2 is a really inexpensive Neve 2254 style compressor.
I luv my LTD 2's one of my better secret weapons. Sometimes i just run synths through them without compressing...the tone is awsome!

I just picked up 2x purple audio MC77's.They are a work horse also!!
Little out of your price range though
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Does the High End forum really need more comments by people that haven't ever used the gear they're commenting on but read someone else's post that said its good?

From the "sticky" titled: A message from this forums moderators - please read first!

3. Speculation We like first hand information, High End also stands for that. Posts that contain second or third hand information as in 'I have a friend who tried this and he/she said .... ' are usually not relevant and even less to be taken serious. It might even be totally out of context of the original topic and create a bad image that isn't called for. If there is a question about a certain piece of gear used on a specific session, please only post if you were actually there or have first hand information about it. Speculation is better avoided then posted and might result in misinformation. In other words, don't comment the quality of a U47 if you haven't actually used one.
Old 31st May 2006
As good as the Distressor in it's price range?

Yes.

As versatile as the Distressor in it's price range?

No.

It depends on what direction you want to go in sound and functionality. Another pair of Distressors aren't going to make or break a recording, if everything else sounds good then so will your final master. There have been some good suggestions here since $3000 for a pair of modded Distressors is the norm. Some other compressors that people haven't mentioned that are also excellent and are in budget are the

Vintech 609CA (has a compression and seperate limiting section which makes it very flexible)

Roll Music Super Stereo
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
As good as the Distressor in it's price range?

Yes.

As versatile as the Distressor in it's price range?

No.
Exactly.... There are times I reach for a DBX160X or Urei LA22 or a Drawmer DL241 over the EL-8, but the Distressor will work in any of those situations as well with a bit of tweaking. It seems to always be good to very good on almost everything, while other compressors will really be excellent at just a few things.

So to answer the post titles question- Not really. But all the comps I mentioned are great and you could get more channels for the same price, so its something to consider.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Addict

based on the feedback and a lot of research, i'm gonna try the chandler TG1...
if for some reason I dont like it (but i dont think that will be the case) I can still try something else......thanks for the input
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

TG1 is a great limiter. I'm sure you'll love it, and its different than Distressors or 1176 pair.

I'm sure many of us would have added it, along with several other excellent comp/limiters, if you had said you had 4k to spend.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza
I just put a deposit on a TF Pro P38. I've heard great things! Can't do duel mono, but other than that, give's you tons of flexibility. Would save you some cash too - plus is great on the mix bus as well as for tracking.

Rez
I've used the earlier version of the Edward the Compressor. I'd like to get another one actually or maybe a Mighty Twin, which includes two channels of the Edward style compressor. I particularly like it on the mix buss.

Anyhow, I second this recommendation. I think outside the Distressor that the most interesting compressors out at present include the tfpro Edward the Compressor and the Roll Music Super Stereo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search