The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SLAM! vs LA-2A or 1176
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Head

SLAM! vs LA-2A or 1176

Ok, Say you get yourself a SLAM! You are a home studio with need for only one vocal channel. Does the SLAM! make an LA-2A or 1176 unnecessary?

dfegad Bob the V
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Guru

No.
they all have different things to offer compression wise
Apples-Oranges-Bananas
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

It is neither a 1176 nor a LA-2A but has a fantastic sounding limiter which has a very unique sound.

The optional converters are great as well.

I never liked the optical comp.

The pres are rather clean sounding.

I traded mine in for two UA 1176 & a cranesong STC- 8.

1176 is a much better tracking comp than the SLAM! - if you wan´t a modern & good sounding LA-2A get a tubetech CL-1B.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Maniac

I had a play with a SLAM recently and I have to say I was surprised at how dissapointing it was. It was simultaneously too clean/sterile (the audio path) and either too soundy (the limiting/compression) or not soundy enough or not in the right way. I thought it was crap over a mix and passable on a drum buss. The few single tracks I tried though it, well, it just wasnt exciting at all. Despite the 10million knobs on the front panel, I felt I didnt have enough control over the compression. Inside it looks like a once simple idea that just got WAY out of control. Its not surprising that it costs so much (Ive rarely seen a box so jam packed with parts) but there is no way its worth that for what it does.

Thats what I thought anyway...

M
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

I haven't used it, but for that price you could get a bunch of goodies and pick and choose depending on what you're tracking. It's really too much to spend for what it does.
-Brian
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

I have a contrary opinion. I actually love the sound of the SLAM and I think it's a good bargain on the not so used market (not for list price - on that point I wholeheartedly agree). Everyone hears things differently (just read some more threads for ample evidence).

The SLAM actually replaced my Manley 16x2 mixer, mono UA 1176, and mono UA LA2A. And apart from the monitor section of the mixer, I didn't miss them. But my needs and tastes are probably different from a lot of folks.

When I added the numbers, I got a lot more mileage out of the SLAM than if I would have bought piecemeal (for stereo mixing as well as tracking). And now that my needs are changing again, the SLAM is the piece I've held onto the longest 'cause I know I'm going to have to spend a lot more on different tools to get the same sound for MY needs. Your needs might be different.

Like a lot of boxes, it'll sound one way when you first start using it, and then you'll find it sounding different (maybe better, maybe worse) once you've had time to experiment with it (ex: just playing with the fliters on the convertors & transformers will alter the sound). It's got a ton of features and options, so take a peak at the manual to see what the box is capable of.

If I was looking at getting an all-in-one vocal box for the sound that appeals to me (big, deep lows, smooth high end but not veiled), for my money I'd put the SLAM on the list, as well as the Quartet, Quartet II (just got one), TubeTech, Fearn (which is what I'm thinking about next), and the Thermionic EarlyBird (heard a lot of great things about it, but not tried one yet). You owe it to yourself to try as many as you can to capture the sound that appeals to you.

Best,
guru007

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search