The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good(enough) converters for outboard gear
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac
Good(enough) converters for outboard gear

Hi fellow-sluts...

I've been mixing ITB for a few years now.
Now that Cubase has this "Connect extarnel gear"-function, I've been thinkin of getting some outboard gear. Neve 5042, 5043, a distressor or two, some outboard EQs etc. The only thing I'm not sure of is how good converters I should have. I have a Fireface800 and have been reading about the converters not being very good, but what would be good enough? By good enough I mean converters that would not ruin the sound in a way from a DA to the outboard and back to AD. I've been thinking of getting a Lynx Aurora16, what do you folks think of this? Currently I can't afford both Apogee AD and DA 16 and I really need more than just one stereo DA-AD. I would also be tracking with this converter and using it as the main output of my mixes so the converter would be a very big part of the whole show.

Opinions / suggestions.

Thanks to all who bother to answer .

-- Mikko
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

From some studio owners I heard about general lower reliability of Lynx converter compared to Apogee in professional 24/7 operation.
Lynx Aurora would be fine, it's sonically in Apogee class, although I would miss Firewire (16 ch I/O is not enough in my case).
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Though I wouldn't want to fuel another apogee vs. lynx debate, I do have a lynx aurora 16 coming to me instead of the Apogee's I had originally planned on. I can't say I've heard any issues with regards to reliability of the converters themselves -- if you're keeping your fireface, likely the most reliable way to use the Aurora would be to go ADAT in and out of the fireface and use RME's rock solid interfacing.

But yeah, in that particular converter class, to answer your question, there's a whole crapload of engineers using either the Apogee's or the Lynx with outboard -- I'm sure it's "good enough" when compared with the Fireface's technology.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane
Hi fellow-sluts...

I've been mixing ITB for a few years now.
Now that Cubase has this "Connect extarnel gear"-function, I've been thinkin of getting some outboard gear. Neve 5042, 5043, a distressor or two, some outboard EQs etc. The only thing I'm not sure of is how good converters I should have. I have a Fireface800 and have been reading about the converters not being very good, but what would be good enough? By good enough I mean converters that would not ruin the sound in a way from a DA to the outboard and back to AD. I've been thinking of getting a Lynx Aurora16, what do you folks think of this? Currently I can't afford both Apogee AD and DA 16 and I really need more than just one stereo DA-AD. I would also be tracking with this converter and using it as the main output of my mixes so the converter would be a very big part of the whole show.

Opinions / suggestions.

Thanks to all who bother to answer .

-- Mikko
try it with the converters you have. If the outboard sounds better than a Plug. THen go with it
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Just use the Fireface convertors like I do, no complaints. Sure, there are better convertors, but these are more then good enough. Working with them for I/O loops to nice hardware compressors has lifted my mixes to the next level.

Put your money into the actual outboard gear, rather then spending much money to get only a minor improvement over the Fireface convertors.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Fireface converters will be just fine. I used them with outboard all the time, I thought the D/A especially were pretty damn good. I now have the Aurora, and it is better (especially a/d), but the fireface was good too.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe a different suggestion - Get one really good 2 Ch. AD converter and, in addition to using it to record tracks, make it your clock master for the Fireface and the rest of your system. This could really help get the most out of your existing converters.

cheers,
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

I actually use a waves L2 as a converter. maybe some light limiting when I track but the converters sound pretty good, miles ahead of stock motu stuff. I bought it years ago . . . they gotta be going for much less used by now. . . just a thought.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Been running Lynx convertors for 2 years. Never a hiccup.
Old 9th June 2006
The Fireface is easily good enough. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Is it everything that you will ever desire in a converter? Probably not, as the price to quality performance is almost a 1:1 ratio when it comes to conversion. I used to do excellent productions with an old school Apogee Rosetta (circa '99) and using ADAT XT's into the console. The Manley, API, Neve, Neumann KM84's and Neumann U47 on the front end probably didn't hurt though!! Keep the Fireface until the mics and preamps are A+ quality. From there upgrade your conversion to Apogee, Mytek or Lavry and you'll be done (other than skills and getting a band that can play in your studio!).
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
The Fireface is easily good enough. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Is it everything that you will ever desire in a converter? Probably not, as the price to quality performance is almost a 1:1 ratio when it comes to conversion. I used to do excellent productions with an old school Apogee Rosetta (circa '99) and using ADAT XT's into the console. The Manley, API, Neve, Neumann KM84's and Neumann U47 on the front end probably didn't hurt though!! Keep the Fireface until the mics and preamps are A+ quality. From there upgrade your conversion to Apogee, Mytek or Lavry and you'll be done (other than skills and getting a band that can play in your studio!).
Best advice I've seen in a long time!!
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

the fireface 800 has great converters.
Old 9th June 2006

The Fireface converters are more than fine!

There is too much converter anxiety on this board... Most mid level and higher converters on the market are better than even the best converters of 4 years ago. Not to say that high end converters aren't a nice luxury to have, but people need to stop worrying about the final 2 % and concentrate on the other 98%...
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

HD24 XR

What do you guys think of the stock HD24XR converters. Not a mod version by someones shop here. Are these good enough converters for say, using outboard gear then bringing stuff back to digital?
I might be picking one of these up for remote, have been thinking of it for a long time. I hear they a great converters in the box for that sort of thing. But what do people think about the XR versions converters in studio use?
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS0420
What do you guys think of the stock HD24XR converters. Not a mod version by someones shop here. Are these good enough converters for say, using outboard gear then bringing stuff back to digital?
I might be picking one of these up for remote, have been thinking of it for a long time. I hear they a great converters in the box for that sort of thing. But what do people think about the XR versions converters in studio use?
I use the stock HD24XR converters for all my outboard gear integration with Nuendo 3...then feed everything to a Phoenix Nicerizer via an Apogee DA16x for mixing...

I think they sound great...work like a charm...great value in 24 channels of AD/DA (@ 24/44)with a very reliable HD recorder thrown in...

...Larry

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search