The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gefell M930 or UMT70? Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMarc View Post
I almost entirely agree...

Except I'll use UM70 or M71 where most people would use a U87, and I'll use a M930 or M940 where most people would use a U89.

The Neumanns are great mics, I prefer the Gefells.
i like the u89 more than the u87 (too much high end) but i don't like the neumann sound in general

so the m930 sounds flatter then the um70? from what i read i thought it's the other way around ... i want to try them both ...

which of them gefells would work on more voices and which one handles sibilance and mouth noise issues better?
Old 23rd January 2018
Lives for gear

To reiterate and paraphrase Doc Mixwell,

M930 is a more modern sound.

UMT70 a more vintage sound.

I have experience with both, moreso with the M930, but I also for a short time owned a UM70S (the one with the transformer)

I seem to remember the M930 having a little more proximity effect....but it's been a long time. I'm pretty much a U87 man these days.
Old 23rd January 2018
Owned the MT71S for awhile and only sold it to pay for a new interface. Also owned the M930T, also a really nice mic but would probably prefer the one with the M7 capsule as a more universal vocal mic without the issues you mentioned. Gefell's M7 mics both old and new have that "in the pocket" sound that fits really well in most mixes.
A lot of folks here prefer the older transformer models which I haven't tried but have tried the transformer/no trans in the M930 and there's a little more color from the transformer. If you're using a nice preamp with a transformer/tube, the differences probably get smaller.
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by huglife187 View Post
so the m930 sounds flatter then the um70? from what i read i thought it's the other way around ... i want to try them both ...
What country are you in?

In the UK you can certainly try them both side by side - there are demo models available either to you or the store.

Not sure about other countries - ask the local Gefell dealer.

Quote:
which of them gefells would work on more voices and which one handles sibilance and mouth noise issues better?
The M 930 has a modern mylar capsule, the UM 70 / UMT 70 / UMT 70S have the Georg Neumann M7 PVC capsule.

It's really down to personal choice and what works better for you.
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
What country are you in?

In the UK you can certainly try them both side by side - there are demo models available either to you or the store.

Not sure about other countries - ask the local Gefell dealer.

The M 930 has a modern mylar capsule, the UM 70 / UMT 70 / UMT 70S have the Georg Neumann M7 PVC capsule.

It's really down to personal choice and what works better for you.
i'm from austria ... and already e-mailing with gefell support .... they recommend me a umt800 to try out and are willing to send me one for testing ... i asked them if i can get a m930ts, umt70s and a umt800 to try them side by side .... but now i also want to compare the sdc's m200 and m300 .... sluttieness all over me
Old 24th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
i'm from austria ... and already e-mailing with gefell support .... they recommend me a umt800 to try out and are willing to send me one for testing ... i asked them if i can get a m930ts, umt70s and a umt800 to try them side by side .... but now i also want to compare the sdc's m200 and m300 .... sluttieness all over me
The UMT 800 is a very nice mic. M7 capsule in a larger body than the UMT 70S and 5-pattern switchable, rather than 3. Should sound similar to the UMT 70S, but has more patterns and the large body would have an effect.

The M 200 series have nickel capsules and the M 300 series have mylar. The M 300 and M 310 have ceramic capsules that are very stable as the only metal is the sputterings on the diaphragm and backplate.
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
The UMT 800 is a very nice mic. M7 capsule in a larger body than the UMT 70S and 5-pattern switchable, rather than 3. Should sound similar to the UMT 70S, but has more patterns and the large body would have an effect.

The M 200 series have nickel capsules and the M 300 series have mylar. The M 300 and M 310 have ceramic capsules that are very stable as the only metal is the sputterings on the diaphragm and backplate.
Clarification: The M20, M21 and M27 capsules which are part of the SMS 2000 System are mylar/gold capsules. The M29x Series (294, 295, 296 and 297) have nickel capsules.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 25th January 2018 at 05:22 PM..
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Clarification: The M20, M21 and M27 capsules which are part of the SMS 2000 System are mylar/gold capsules. The M29x Series (294, 295, 296 and 296) have nickel capsules.
Correct, sorry I was quite tired when I posted.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search