The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genelec 1032 users?
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Genelec 1032 users?

They're a different ballgame from the 1031a's as far as I can tell...

Anyone have any comments on these speakers? How they affected your mixes, translation etc?

Thanks in advance!
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

anyone?
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

My friend has a pair in his studio and I much prefer these to the smaller Gennies I've heard, ie 1031 - the bass end is amazing. I'm not generally a big fan of the 10xx series sound - I find them all a bit 'produced' and not quite natural enough for my tastes, but the 1032's are certainly capable of delivering good mixes if you like the sound.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the response!

I think I've decided to get them! I'm hoping for some of characteristics of the 1037s that use quite often for tracking which always translate great.

I haven't been able to talk myself into the newer 8040/50's.... never been sold on rear ports especially when they are up against a wall. They seem to be popular around here though. thumbsup

I've cut a few times with the 1032s and the tracks always turned out great... the console was a 9098i which is hard to get anything bad out of.... but what work I did do on the sounds seemed to translate well.

There's so little talk about them, but they've survived the latest incarnation so somebody must be buyin' em!

Anyone else?
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

I am working with a pair of 1032 and a pair of ADAM P11A.

I mostly use (and like) the Genelec but it´s good to have the ADAM´s where I hear different thing in the mids.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

I got 1032s a couple of years ago after hearing them at a tradeshow at the spectrasonics booth.
Very powerful low end and a pretty punchy sound.
Do yourself a favour and get them with the wall attachement that Genelec offers. That improved the imaging a whole lot.

I use a pair of PMCs as alternate monitors and i am very happy with that combination.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

well they allow you to hang the 1032s from the wall so they dont touch any surface-kind of free floating.
I had them sitting on speakerstands before but the wall attachement was a big step forward IMHO.

If you are interested i can take a picture of them and send it to you so you get an idea what they look like.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Maniac

That would be great. Yes please take some pictures if you get a chance.

They're actually going to be on a concrete wall so I'll definitely have something solid enough to mount to.

Thanks!
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Thats what they look like
Attached Thumbnails
Genelec 1032 users?-1032-wallmount.jpg  
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

I used a set of 1032's on a project a while back, I also had a set of PMC's (don't ask me the model) and a set of KRK (E8 or V8??? about the same size as the 1032 )
IMO the PMC and 1032 where miles ahead of the KRK. I liked the top end a bit better on the 1032's although the PMC's had more ultra top at 16K and up.
But the 1032's are a lot cheaper than the PMC's
The big thing I like about the 1032's you don'rt need a sumb when mixing in stereo.
I want them but can't justify the changes I would need to make to my soffits.
If I was starting to today I would buy them no questions asked.
After working for that last 2+ weeks on NS-10's these are truly easier to listen to for hours on end and to use for me than NS-10's.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

Hi Jerry,

I was using NS10's before...1032's were a big improvement in my mixing: translates much better to other speakers and no surprises anymore at mastering.thumbsup
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Wu... Thanks for the picture! Did you have to drill into the cabinet to mount them?
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

yep-but the screws dont go all the way thru the cabinet.
Its pretty easy to do actually.
And the sound improvement made it definetly worthwhile.
It does however hurt the resale value for sure-unless you sell them with the wall mounts that is.
But since i plan to keep them anyway this wasnt my concern.
Old 2nd June 2006
Here for the gear

I had a pair of 1032s for three years. The bottom end is fine but the top end is hyped, in my opinion. My mixes didn't translate to other speakers till I rolled 4db off the top end of the 1032s. I have recently switched to Klein & Hummel O300Ds and these are revealing how very different my favourite CDs sound from each other, more so than was apparent on the 1032s. Some CDs I used to like on the 1032s now are revealed as poor mixes on the K+H - but the K+H are a nearfield wih a very defined sweet spot much closer to the speakers than the 1032s and the K+H don't fill up the room with sound like the 1032s did.
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

Had 1032s for 2 years now. Very happy with them but agree with what the other guys say about the mids and top end. Translate extremely well once you roll off a little of the highs and get to know the mids. Huge sweet spot and no need for a sub.
Wouldn't mind trying the wall attachment...
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm going back and forth between these and Dynaudio Bm15a for a soffit mount application.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

How about Klein and Hummel O300 ?
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardchasm View Post
Had 1032s for 2 years now. Very happy with them but agree with what the other guys say about the mids and top end. Translate extremely well once you roll off a little of the highs and get to know the mids. Huge sweet spot and no need for a sub.
Wouldn't mind trying the wall attachment...
I agree. For me, putting them higher up is definetly a good plan. Worked great for me!
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

So.

I just got my pair of Genelec 1032s.

Previously, I have been intimate with Event 20/20s and Yamaha HSM80s. I had found nothing offensive about either model... I prefer the Yamahas but only by a slight margin because of it's 'clarity'.

I purchased the Genelecs because we are in the process of building a new control room that is easily three times as large as our previous control room, and wanted a speaker that can hang with the volume.

The new control room is not completed, but naturally I want to hear the new speakers, so we wired 'em up and gave them a go.

My initial reaction was: "wow. these are bright". I promptly used the high shelf to mellow them out a touch. After a few hours of listening to some of my favorite tracks and some current projects, I can say without a doubt I have never heard something so crisp and detailed in my life. Period. It's like a whole new ball game.

Songs that I was familiar with intimately revealed entire layers and panning I had never known to exist previously. The comparison I keep coming back to, is that "it's like going from a bone saw to a scalpel."

Coherent is a word that gets tossed around a lot. Clearly, I understand the meaning of the word... but until I gave these speakers a listen, I don't think I fully understood the translation of the word into a critical listening situation.

My current mixes are quickly revealing their short comings. There's a "honkyness" I had known to be a problem because of multisystem playbacks, but wasn't really able to pin down at the desk. There it is. Moreover, the interest in stereo imaging that I am hearing on commercial releases that I need to figure out how to achieve.

The silence between drum hits on Phoenix's "lisztomania"... perhaps I have never REALLY listened so closely, but I had always just assumed gating. The transient response I am now hearing tends to suggest radical fader automation.

I really wish I had the opportunity to now go back and re-audition some gear that I had previously written off as "too little a difference" to be worth purchasing.

Or maybe now the real illness of G.A.S. is about to set in, and these Genelecs will end up being the catalyst.
Old 13th March 2011
Gear Addict

I used to have 1032s with the big 1094 sub, fabulous combination. My favourite combo was the 1037 with sub but the 1032s were a very solid and reliable speaker. I mainly worked on 1032s with a sub and flicked to the 1032s to check what was going on at the bottom. Very nice speakers.

Replaced them a couple of years ago with Klein + Hummel 0300Ds and 0800 sub.
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

1032a's are probably the most accurate, flatest response curve of any speakers made. to a fault. Nothing sounds like them. Not much, or any, bass below 40Hz. They are great speakers, and I use them a lot. But, I roll off 4dB from the tweeter to make them flat in the room.

GC
Old 14th March 2011
Gear Nut

hi,
i've been using 1032a's for six years and love it. everybody says they're hyped at the top but i guess coming from someone who's little else, i've learned to deal with it. the question i have for other long time users is about ear fatigue. i've not had any problems with fatigue with them but another engineer whom i respect a lot is that they cause him terrible ear fatigue. he's an ns10 guy and those, for me are the real strainers. half the time i can't make heads or tails of what the bass or top end actually is. the assumption that comes to mind is "is fatigue caused by actual hyped highs or sitting for days with a monitor you don't get along with?"
Old 14th March 2011
Gear Nut

also, i use them as semi-near-fields despite their published recommended distance is mid field. could this be a bad thing?
Old 14th March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist View Post
There's so little talk about them, but they've survived the latest incarnation so somebody must be buyin' em!
Genelec keeps these older models in production because there are huge amounts of pros out there who have accustomed perfectly to these monitors' sound and don't want to change their systems to newer and improved models (it would take them lots of time to get used to the new and more detailed sound).

So if you haven't used much of the 1032A model, you might want to jump directly to 8050A/8250A or 8260A's or so... My suggestion would be the 8250A + the measurement microphone for calibrating the DSP to your room. It'll be a jaw dropping experience once you hear the results. I promise you that
Old 24th April 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu View Post
Thats what they look like
whats the name of this type? was looking into wall mounts and those seem to be off the market. only thing available is the z1032-460b

http://www.audiopalace.de/images/pro...8000_460_b.jpg

is this one better? worse?
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

I have the 1031a+1092 sub combination and it works really great. I like it more than 1032a without sub because 1032a seems to need bit more volume to really start to come alive.

But I use the 1031a+1092 combination together with s30c.

s30c/s30d is the most beautiful speaker ever made if your mixing acoustic/classical. The ribbon tweater is just amazing.

btw, s30c or s30d should not be confused with s30a or s30b, they totally different and not very good because the A and B models had amps that were really ****ty.
Old 25th April 2011
Lives for gear
Even though there a lot of Genelece haters around, I have to say I never see a broken Genelec in my life so far, and that's really amazing!
The QC they had done is unbelievable. Also, they can be used for a long long time without being broken or fried the tweeter. 1031 had been around for 17 years!!!( since 1994)there still are tons in great condition. Amazing, amazing.
Old 25th April 2011
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku View Post
Genelec keeps these older models in production because there are huge amounts of pros out there who have accustomed perfectly to these monitors' sound and don't want to change their systems to newer and improved models (it would take them lots of time to get used to the new and more detailed sound).

So if you haven't used much of the 1032A model, you might want to jump directly to 8050A/8250A or 8260A's or so... My suggestion would be the 8250A + the measurement microphone for calibrating the DSP to your room. It'll be a jaw dropping experience once you hear the results. I promise you that
Regarding 1030, 1031 and 1032 Genelec stated on their web site:

Please note: This product is no longer in production but we guarantee the supply of spare parts at least until the year 2015.
Old 25th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Obviedo View Post
Regarding 1030, 1031 and 1032 Genelec stated on their web site:

Please note: This product is no longer in production but we guarantee the supply of spare parts at least until the year 2015.
That is just for 1030 and 1031.

Previous Genelec Models - Read More About our Previous Products!

The 1032 remains a current model.

2-way Active Monitors and Monitoring Systems from Genelec
Old 25th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc449 View Post
Even though there a lot of Genelece haters around, I have to say I never see a broken Genelec in my life so far, and that's really amazing!
The QC they had done is unbelievable. Also, they can be used for a long long time without being broken or fried the tweeter. 1031 had been around for 17 years!!!( since 1994)there still are tons in great condition. Amazing, amazing.
IIRC, one of Genelec's quality control tests during preproduction is that they play audio through the speakers as loudly as possible before the overload protection kicks in. They let the monitor handle this loud signal for a full week, night and day. If the monitor model can take this torture without any problems and degradation, all is good and they can start the production.

That's heavy stuff

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search